• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Merry Marvel Marching Society (MMMS)
2 2

123 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone here keeps track of the sales of 1967 Marx Marvel Super Heroes Plastic Figures and what colors per character sell for on average? Is any one more prized than that same one in a different color?  If they all were in the same condition, would one color be more desirable than another? :popcorn:

On 2/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Just curious if anyone here keeps track of the sales of 1967 Marx Marvel Super Heroes Plastic Figures and what colors per character sell for on average? Is any one more prized than that same one in a different color?  If they all were in the same condition, would one color be more desirable than another? :popcorn:

The first issue was I believe molded in silver.  That's the one that I had.  I don't recall any other colours as a kid so I would assume that any other colour is a re issue.

If they're anything like the Marx Nutty Mads, they've been re-issued ad nauseam and judging by the multitude of colours that I see on the internet that seems to be the case with the superheroes.

Sorry but I have no price info.

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, Garystar said:

Living in UK I have no first hand knowledge of buying these contemporary but being a fan of Marvel memorabilia I have read quite a bit on these figures;

The first set, which is quite rare and expensive, was grey. This was followed in 1967 by the more common sets in blue, green, orange and red. In 1970 Marvelmania re-issued them in silver. 
A brown set is also known to exist, extremely rare but origins unsure - theory it was a test run. 
There are also numerous knock- offs, Mexico accounting for most, a darker red set being the most common. 

My silver Marvelmania set (unfortunately not undamaged);

4E102A0F-E3EB-4C72-B27F-41E949EABCB5.thumb.jpeg.d75ac9cfa3f8bf0cab1b7d1957d1b81d.jpeg

Very nice set!  And thank you and @pemart1966for your input.

I found this after digging around: 

1967 Marx Marvelmania Super Hero 6” inch Plastic Figures with Bases - Mighty Marvel Marching Society

Marx Figures with 5 main color variations. Gray being the harder to find but green was pretty difficult as well. 6 figures set* with Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil and Spider-Man. 

M.M.M.S. Wants YOU!

I found a brownish color one on a past Heritage Auction listed as a prototype press sample. I don't know if all would be that color or not. 

(*I have seen an add for 3 figures per set, 2 sets total. Pic below. )

Marx-ad.jpg

On 2/11/2022 at 12:39 AM, pemart1966 said:

My set did not come from the MMMS.  It came from a department store.  

That would be correct, none were issued by MMMS, all were sold in department stores bar the silver set which was sold by Marvelmania International via mail order, as the add shown in @Forbush-Manpost. 
perhaps the set you bought was grey rather than silver? They are quite similar, grey issued 1967, silver in 1970. 

On 2/11/2022 at 4:28 AM, Garystar said:

That would be correct, none were issued by MMMS, all were sold in department stores bar the silver set which was sold by Marvelmania International via mail order, as the add shown in @Forbush-Manpost. 
perhaps the set you bought was grey rather than silver? They are quite similar, grey issued 1967, silver in 1970. 

I'm confused.  Forbush man seems to be saying that the ad he posted was circa 1967...

The set that I had was indeed grey circa 1967.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:53 AM, pemart1966 said:

I'm confused.  Forbush man seems to be saying that the ad he posted was circa 1967...

The set that I had was indeed grey circa 1967.

Actually, the first part of the post was for 1967 Marx figures.  The ad below it looks to my eye to be a later date add just judging by the art. I would say 70's on that one. The difference on the posts was the 1967 Marx comment mentioned a set of six, the ad mentions Sets A (3 pieces) & set B (3 pieces). (thumbsu

I have this book somewhere in storage (wish I had it NOW :pullhair:), I highly recommend it to any MMMS collector. Looks like averaage used prices run between $29-$39 bucks. The Full Color Guide To Marvel Silver Age Collectibles, From M.M.M.S. to Marvelmania by J. Ballman 

On 8/19/2019 at 6:03 AM, Garystar said:

If you can locate a copy this book tells the history of the club, all the memorabillia with plenty of pictures and the ads which appeared in the comics. Research for the book from contemporary fanzines and a 2008 interview with Stan Lee he estimates membership to be 50,000 upwards.

Membership cards are numbered but not straight forward to gauge membership numbers; My first issue card (white) issued with the 1964-1967 kit is numbered 15593 whilst my second issue card (yellow) issued 1967-1969 is numbered 277. The second issue card pictured in the book is numbered 21014. So perhaps the numbers were completely random or they started again with the second set - if the latter is true then there were at least (15,593 + 21,014) 36,607 members.

(J Ballmann has also published an equally informative book on early bronze age memorabilia)   

img029.jpg

Oops! Just noticed this book was mentioned previously. Oh, well here's the O.P.'s original post. 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:33 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I have this book somewhere in storage (wish I had it NOW :pullhair:), I highly recommend it to any MMMS collector. Looks like averaage used prices run between $29-$39 bucks. The Full Color Guide To Marvel Silver Age Collectibles, From M.M.M.S. to Marvelmania by J. Ballman 

I just bought a copy thanks to this thread!

On 2/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, pemart1966 said:

The ad is from Marvelmania which didn’t start until 1969. If you sent off for the two sets you got the silver figures pictured in my post. They are cast from the 1967 moulds so are identical and still dated 1967 even tough they were released in 1970.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, Garystar said:

The ad is from Marvelmania which didn’t start until 1969. If you sent off for the two sets you got the silver figures pictured in my post. They are cast from the 1967 moulds so are identical and still dated 1967 even tough they were released in 1970.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion...so was the silver set only available as a mail in premium?

On 2/11/2022 at 6:22 PM, pemart1966 said:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion...so was the silver set only available as a mail in premium?

Yes. The silver set was only available from Marvelmania International by mail. As they used the same moulds which showed 1967 there can be some confusion but silver was not for sale in stores and was not available until 1970.