• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

I finished the show today and overall I moderately enjoyed it.

I had no expectations of the character as I never read the books and no knowledge of the origin story so I have no problem with the apparent power changes.

It did seem a little teenagery (is that a word?) which isn’t really my wheelhouse and I personally don’t mind the diverse culture stuff although it does seem to be a very   sanitized representation which I guess fits with who it’s marketed for and Disney in general.

I’d say it would be a middle of the pack of a genre I generally tend to enjoy but with lots of potential and would watch a second season if it comes up.

I thought all the actors casting was great and enjoyed the flashback India episode the most. 

In the trail of breadcrumbs that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige and team continue to leave behind throughout Phase 4, the latest development might be the most important of all. Following a big reveal at the close of the Ms. Marvel’s season finale, mutants are now in the mix — sort of. Bruno (Matt Lintz) reveals to Kamala (Iman Vellani) that it isn’t just the bangle or her ClanDestine heritage that has unlocked her cosmic powers — there’s a mutation in her DNA.

With Kamala Khan’s impending mutant status, it opens up a major entry point for other mutants, like the X-Men, to emerge. While Kamala from the comics is an Inhuman — which could potentially explain her genetic mutation — another clue narrows it down. After Bruno breaks the news, the recognizable guitar riff from the beloved 90s show X-Men: The Animated Series plays, hinting at what’s to come. Did we imagine it? Nope — it’s even listed in the song credits as “X-Men ‘97 Theme.”

On 7/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, TupennyConan said:

Finished it last night. This is my favorite D+ show after WandaVision. 

just started today and I think this is a nice series. I'm not the target demo but it's top notch. This is what Disney does best.

After finishing the show, my opinion isn't changed much from mid-season. It was okay. The finale wasn't anything special for me. I often found it to be silly.

I really like the lead actress and the family, but overall the show's storyline was a snoozer for me. The only reason I watched the show was because it was a Marvel show. Had it been this same show with a non-comic book title, I wouldn't have watched.

I hope to see more of the actress in the MCU in a team setting. As well, I hope they can do something more intriguing with a second season of Ms. Marvel.

Overall, my live action Disney+ hierarchy is:

1) Wandavision
2) Falcon/Winter Soldier
3) Hawkeye
4) Loki
5) Ms. Marvel
6) Moon Knight

I liked it better than She-Hulk, but I am definitely not their audience. They are branching out.

With that, now I know I am no longer a Marvel Cinematic Movie Zombie fan. I was hooked.

Maybe the Daredevil and Secret Invasion Disney plus shows will bring me back?

Crazy in that the next 2 super hero movies I am most looking forward too are Shazam 2 and Black Adam.

I guess now I am find out why Fawcett characters were really big characters in the 1940s.

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

Home recovering from surgery so catch-up time

I admit I went  into  this expecting to dislike it 

I was wrong.

Interesting alt-view of culture clashes, and well, I actually liked it.

Not the best show ever made, but by no means the worst.

I'm not the target audience so younger people would get more out of it possibly  -  7/10 though.

Not too bad at all.

Possibly my only gripe was the disconnect between 'Westernised' Muslims and the 'Traditional' older Muslims wasn't expanded upon as much as they had the opportunity to do. 

The falling kid scene in ep 2 was kinda weak - all those adults just watching one of their own kids fall to his death potentially - and just standing there waiting for the Police. I know it was a segue into Kamala showing her powers, but all those 'Mosque Bros' hand-wringing and not helping was absurd!

Oh and for the 'cornfield button-humper' - Mosque Bros was a term used by Kamala herself. 

Little gripes - but totally outshone by the better stuff

Edited by Beige