• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

A semi-recent DisInsider article states that Captain Marvel directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are most likely going to direct the Ms Marvel Disney+ show. This could mean that Ms. Marvel will actually be the Secret Invasion storyline we keep hearing about that's coming to Disney+. And it makes sense. Boden and Fleck did a great job with the Skrulls in Captain Marvel, made them charming and human. Having the directors sort of continue that Skrull story in the Ms. Marvel series would make a nice middle story before the larger Captain Marvel 2 story. And in the comics, Kamala's new costume is of Kree origin, so that may tie in to her MCU origin story on Earth.

Now more than ever, production dates seem to be “best guesses” rather than chiseled in concrete but, as we’ve seen recently in the case of Uncharted, things can get back underway and “on time” in this new normal. While we wait for Marvel Studios to resume production on The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Loki, we now have something new to look forward to as the studio has set a NEW start date (verified by Discussing Film) for Ms. Marvel. As of this week, Marvel Studios plans to roll cameras in Atlanta on the streaming series from November through March of 2021!

This new, November start date replaces what was originally supposed to be an August start. Not only does it track with other information we’ve been hearing (such as the studio beginning to zero in on their Kamala Khan) but it also might give us some insight into some other aspects of production. If Marvel Studios is looking to get Ms. Marvel started in November, that might mean that, as of now, that’s when they expect to have studios space open once production on Loki wraps in Atlanta. Additionally, we might deduce that if production on Ms. Marvel is kicking off about 3 months later than originally expected that we could, potentially, see Hawkeye, originally scheduled for a September start, get in front of cameras before the end of 2020 as well!

Keep in mind there are still a lot of obstacles to clear before any productions get underway, but we can tentatively start piecing things together here under the assumption that things get running again soon. Before I go, I’ll leave you with this incomplete tidbit as to why Marvel Studios is keen on casting Kamala Khan sooner than later even though her series isn’t set to film until November: Ms. Marvel won’t be the first time we meet Kamala Khan. If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll already know why.

EXCLUSIVE: After a long and hard search, Marvel has found its Ms. Marvel. The studio is tapping newcomer Imon Vellani to star in its  Disney+ series based on the comic-book character. Marvel and Disney Plus recently named Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon as directors on the project.

Marvel had no comment.

Ms. Marvel hails from writer Bisha K. Ali and centers on Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teen based in New Jersey. Ms. Marvel first appeared in 2014 as Marvel’s first Muslim character to star in her own title, and she will become Marvel Studios’ first onscreen Muslim hero. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has said that in addition to appearing on the small screen, Kamala Khan will be included in future Marvel films.

The plan always was to stay true to the character in finding the right actress to play the role, even if it meant offering a person that was not well known to the public.

Marvel and Disney+ have been hard at work setting up their development slate in recent weeks by not only setting Tatiana Maslany to lead its She-Hulk but also giving Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury character his own series. The studio also announced that WandaVision would be the first show to premiere on the streamer later this year.

Though this marks Vellani’s first major Hollywood production, she has already made tries in trying to help diversify the industry. At the 2019 Toronto Film Festival, she was part of the Next Wave Committee which was tasked with adding a special tag to films — already programmed into other categories — which they believed would resonate with their peers.

She looks like a 3ft tall rooster.

EnN00DeXYAMgYcC.thumb.jpeg.f11ca73cbb0bd3e3089e8ee46effe991.jpeg.991ba2ab26cdc2e593601242baa74b24.jpeg

I'm guessing this is aimed at the under 13 market?

It just looks really half hearted and cheap.

Happy to be suprised, but I haven't seen or read anything that will make me fork out $15 to go and see it.

15 hours ago, Beige said:

EnN00DeXYAMgYcC.thumb.jpeg.f11ca73cbb0bd3e3089e8ee46effe991.jpeg.991ba2ab26cdc2e593601242baa74b24.jpeg

Happy to be suprised, but I haven't seen or read anything that will make me fork out $15 to go and see it.

It's actually not bad for a cosplay outfit made by a teenager. But in the context of the show, and it's a Disney+ show not a theatrical movie, her costume is supposed to look kind of cheap because she most likely made it herself. I think it's interesting that the color coordination of her cosplay suit isn't exact to Captain Marvel, but is more similar to her Ms. Marvel outfit in the comics.

I'm sure Ms. Marvel will be "modeled" on the Disney show for teens model that the MCU Spider-Man movies used. And nobody is better at that model than Disney itself.

15 hours ago, Beige said:

Do you happen to know much about her as a character? I think its supposed to look cheap because shes an everyday teenager in a home-made halloween costume. She's supposed to be Captain Marvel's biggest "fan girl" and this is clearly the best homage she could craft by her self, a low budget cosplay if you will.

I think Kamala is pretty much THE modern tent pole character for Marvel (and Miles Morales but Sony has him on lock) so I'd be shocked if they didn't put every ounce of talent they had into this show for that reason alone.