• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

Since the dawn of the Venom development process, it's been hinted at by various people at Sony there's a desire to have Tom Holland's take on Peter Parker in one of the Venom movies. Now, fortunately enough, Sony seemingly has full creative control over Spider-Man once again — right as they're beginning to get serious about ramping up production on Venom 2. Perfect timing, right?

It's pretty safe to say the Sony and Disney deal fell apart as a direct result of who'd be getting how much money. With Venom already surprising most at the box office, can you imagine Venom 2 with Tom Holland's Spider-Man in tow? That's not even including another hot-selling character in Woody Harrelson's Carnage. Sony would practically be printing money at the point.

Plus, one recent convention appearance from Holland himself seems to tease future Spider-Man crossovers would be getting "bigger and better."

“It’s really exciting, the ideas we have for how we can expand the Spider-Man world and bring new characters into it, and crossover with other people, it’s really exciting,” Holland said at Keystone Comic Con in Philadelphia. “And it’s only going to get bigger and better from here, which is great.”

And then on top of that, Holland is totally chomping at the bit to work alongside Venom star Tom Hardy as per an interview from a few years back — even though his MCU ticket as he calls it looks punched.

“You know, I’d love to make a movie with Tom Hardy, and if we ever got the chance to make a Venom movie together, that would be super cool,” Holland said in the interview when asked about Venom, a movie set in Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters. “But his movie would have to take place in the MCU because I’m not giving up that ticket.”

Depending on how this all works out, 'that ticket' is taken. Time to leap into Venom 2, if that is the case. :wishluck:

Edited by Bosco685

21 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

But does this mean no sinister six? I assume it means the vulture & mysterio we've recently been introduced to is off limits to be in Sony's movies...

Not sure. I think they still belong to Sony since it was Sony's film produced by the MCU. And the actors and film creators are contracted with Sony. But I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not sure. I think they still belong to Sony since it was Sony's film produced by the MCU. And the actors and film creators are contracted with Sony. But I could be wrong.

Thanks, I can't keep it all straight... So if those were Sony movies, I suppose it does make sense they have rights to utilize those characters going forward.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks, I can't keep it all straight... So if those were Sony movies, I suppose it does make sense they have rights to utilize those characters going forward.

Here's the original joint announcement between Sony and Disney.

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT BRINGS MARVEL STUDIOS INTO THE AMAZING WORLD OF SPIDER-MAN

February 9, 2015 (Culver City, California, and Burbank, California February 09, 2015) – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web-slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel’s world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: “Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s great characters, beloved around the world.  We’re thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.”

“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”

“Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker’s story into the future,” added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

“I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters.  Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

It reads as if even though Disney produced the film, all contracts and creative control remained with Sony.

It will be interesting to see what happens, espically with what Sony can and cannot use.  I'd assume that the Sony Spiderman cannot mention anything at all having to do with what happened in the Infinity War and Endgame movies, because they were full on Marvel/Disney movies.

Now can Sony use the same actors that portrayed Spiderman's supporting cast?  Will MJ be the one from the MCU side or will Sony have to recast her (along with the other people).  I honestly don't know how all this will work out.  

Could we be looking at a "soft" reboot of Spiderman now where everything is different except him?  Or will the only difference just be no Supes or support staff or events that originated in the MCU side?

Another interesting point I think is that Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man.  Since there is Disney+ can Disney just make a Spider-Man MCU TV show? It makes sense that this point was over looked when Sony bought the film rights since when the deal was struck a TV streaming service was on no ones radar.

Edited by Xenosmilus

20 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Another interesting point I think is that Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man.  Since there is Disney+ can Disney just make a Spider-Man MCU TV show? It makes sense that this point was over looked when Sony bought the film rights since when the deal was struck a TV streaming service was on no ones radar.

This article is related to my last post so it sounds like I may have a point. Sony only has Spider-Man "Film" rights.  The article does not totally rule out a live action TV series hm. It's still a little unclear though.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-marvels-what-if

Edited by Xenosmilus

Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that “for the moment the door is closed,” according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra.

Speaking at Variety‘s Entertainment & Technology summit, Vinciquerra cryptically added that “it’s a long life,” implying that perhaps in the distant future the web-slinging hero might swing his way back to the Disney-owned company.

Vinciquerra insisted that there is “no ill will” between Sony and Marvel, after the two failed to reach on agreement on financing terms for upcoming Spider-Man movies, effectively removing Tom Holland’s Spider-Man from the Marvel fold in terms of both future standalone and team-up features. However, he also did acknowledge the fan backlash to the news, saying that it has been “an interesting couple of weeks” for the studio.

Vinciquerra pointed to Marvel boss Kevin Feige being “stretched incredibly thin” with new additions coming to the MCU as one of the reasons behind the breakdown in talks.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

Probably folks that see things different than those that don't. Does that make them horrible compared to you?

Please show me where I even hinted at anybody being horrible compared to me.

Baiting and inflaming much?

That's generally not your style. Others, yes.

11 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

Please show me where I even hinted at anybody being horrible compared to me.

Baiting and inflaming much?

That's generally not your style. Others, yes.

I think if you go back to your statement...

On 8/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, marvelcollector said:

Well said.

I have no idea how anybody can have any confidence in Sony with their track record with this character.

No baiting applied or necessary. There will be those that see Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 (2004) as the early indicators of what is possible, and with Venom and Into The Spider-Verse as more recent right-sizing. So some will see the positive, others will assume the negative.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think if you go back to your statement...

No baiting applied or necessary. There will be those that see Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 (2004) as the early indicators of what is possible, and with Venom and Into The Spider-Verse as more recent right-sizing. So some will see the positive, others will assume the negative.

Yeah....and where did I call anybody horrible???

25 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

It means we have different opinions about something. 

NOWHERE in that sentence I wrote does it imply that anybody that disagrees is a horrible person.

Which is what you claim is what I said.

Since you are still carrying on about this (not usual for you), let's attempt to put it to bed logically versus your back-and-forth approach. Here's the statement you made, and the question I proposed.

Well said.

I have no idea how anybody can have any confidence in Sony with their track record with this character.

Probably folks that see things different than those that don't. Does that make them horrible compared to you?

Now, since you got so wound up over this you failed to go back and read the statement in its entirety, you missed something.

1) I was noting why someone would see things differently.

Probably folks that see things different than those that don't.

2) I then asked a question - not automatically assuming you clearly made this statement.

Does that make them horrible compared to you?

Notice (if you count to 5) I did not say you CALLED someone horrible. I asked if people see things different from you due to your strong statement nobody could appreciate a Spider-Man outside the MCU if that makes them horrible.

Now, want to continue on with this? You seem to be fixated on it, not fully comprehending it was a question - not a clear accusation.

Edited by Bosco685

Here, I'll ask the question differently to your statement.

Well said.

Since the entire franchise started with two massive Spider-Man/Sony hits from 2002 and 2004, and then the successes of Venom and Into The Spider-Verse, why not? Does that make them less of a Spider-Man fan if people do have confidence lately?

12 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

Ok fine.

Asking the question in that way implies I stated (or was implying) others were horrible. 

It would have been clearer if you left off the last three words; i. e. just "Does that make them horrible?"

See? Now that is a fair ask, as yes - I could have asked 'So what if someone sees the positive in Sony taking Spider-Man back?'

Just getting a little tired of the 'only MCU can do it right' repeat content from time to time. And with Peter Parker being super-intelligent in the comic books and years of operating on his own, it would also be very refreshing to see a universe where he has to operate within his own Spider-Verse with all the fantastic characteristics associated with the character.