• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever go down a grade after a resubmit?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

I was actually looking to see if anyone else said something about this because of the email response I got back. I laughed when I read it. I asked if I send you a cgc graded 9.8 for one of your signing events will I be assured to get it as a 9.8 signed and this was the response.

Good morning,

Unfortunately, once a book is cracked out of it's existing holder then the grade is no longer valid and there is no guarantee that it will receive the same grade.  We must regrade a book after it is signed just because there is always the possibility that additional defects might have occurred during that signing process which may, ultimately effect the overall grade of the book.  

Thanks,

So first they clearly dont stand behind their own grades. Second they are admitting that they wont take care of your comic. Nice to know...

6 hours ago, twpbknight said:

I was actually looking to see if anyone else said something about this because of the email response I got back. I laughed when I read it. I asked if I send you a cgc graded 9.8 for one of your signing events will I be assured to get it as a 9.8 signed and this was the response.

Good morning,

Unfortunately, once a book is cracked out of it's existing holder then the grade is no longer valid and there is no guarantee that it will receive the same grade.  We must regrade a book after it is signed just because there is always the possibility that additional defects might have occurred during that signing process which may, ultimately effect the overall grade of the book.  

Thanks,

So first they clearly dont stand behind their own grades. Second they are admitting that they wont take care of your comic. Nice to know...

Their response is spot on.  Keep in mind, there is always risk when a book is cracked out of the slab, whether it be for pressing, reading  or signing.  

6 hours ago, twpbknight said:

Good morning,

Thanks,

Thanks for ruining my day

:censored:

13 hours ago, twpbknight said:
Good morning,

Thanks,

This is the way it's been ever since I can remember. Of course, you could always shop around to see if you can find a company with a different policy...good luck.  :foryou:

This book was a 9.4 blue label at first. Notes said some light finger bends so I thought it might be a candidate for an upgrade with a CPR. Came back not only with a grade drop, but a popped upper staple too. Unfortunately, I did not take any images of the book before sending it in, but I was certain the top staple was intact, so all I can figure is the the staple popped during pressing or subsequent handling. This is the worst and one of only a few that have ever come back worse off than before.

1274389928_avengers-53-frontmodified.jpg.7a70618f1473670dd71b5f99b6070cb2.jpg

On 8/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Gruson said:

Curious to hear your stories if you have ever sent something in to CGC to have it regraded only to go down a grade.  

Or if you sent something to get pressed and regraded to see it drop a point after grading  

Yes, I had a CGC 4.5 Amazing Spiderman #44 signed by Stan Lee in 2011.

It was probably one of the top five best eBay auctions I ever won. Mind you this was years ago I want to say around 2013. The seller only had a 1 day auction and I won the book for $60 dollars plus $16 for shipping so it only cost $76!

I brought it to a convention to a facilitator who was going to get John Romita Sr. they assured me that if pressed it will guarantee to jump and the value would jump way up. 

Not always a fan of pressing but gave it a shot. Besides the fact that I had to open a case with a shipping service due to temporary lost in transit, it came back after pressing as a 4.0. 

Albeit, it could have been over graded in 2011 but I find it hard that it would drop after pressing unless it was REALLY over graded in 2011. 

I am still a huge fan of Doc Connors the Lizard, and it is still one of my favorite signature books. Just glad I didn't send in Amazing Spiderman #45 graded 8.5 for the signing. That would have really hurt if it dropped. 

image.png

Resized_20191209_202709.jpeg

Edited by cgcsketcherz

3 minutes ago, cgcsketcherz said:

Yes, I had a CGC 4.5 Amazing Spiderman #44 signed by Stan Lee in 2011.

It was probably one of the top five best eBay auctions I ever won. Mind you this was years ago I want to say around 2013. The seller only had a 1 day auction and I won the book for $60 dollars plus $16 for shipping so it only cost $76!

I brought it to a convention to a facilitator who was going to get John Romita Sr. they assured me that if pressed it will guarantee to jump at least one whole grade and the value would jump way up. 

Not always a fan of pressing but gave it a shot. Besides the fact that I had to open a case with a shipping service due to temporary lost in transit, it came back after pressing as a 4.0. 

Albeit, it could have been over graded in 2011 but I find it hard that it would drop after pressing unless it was REALLY over graded in 2011. 

I am still a huge fan of Doc Connors the Lizard, and it is still one of my favorite signature books. Just glad I didn't send in Amazing Spiderman #45 graded 8.5 for the signing. That would have really hurt if it dropped. 

image.png

Resized_20191209_202709.jpeg

Pretty darn nice looking book for a 4.0. Do you have the before and after grader notes?

8 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Pretty darn nice looking book for a 4.0. Do you have the before and after grader notes?

Thank you for the compliment. There were no graders notes in besides the obvious ones of who signed and when. I am not sure of the whole process of paying for additional notes anyway. Again the only reason why I pressed it was I was told there was a REALLY good chance it would go from 4.5 to a 5.5

Plus I think once you resubmit a yellow label the old one no longer exists. I just tried to check the certification # of the old slab and Verify CGC shows it as not found. 

Edited by cgcsketcherz

On 8/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, Gruson said:

Curious to hear your stories if you have ever sent something in to CGC to have it regraded only to go down a grade.  

Or if you sent something to get pressed and regraded to see it drop a point after grading  

Me a 8.0 submitted for sig series back a 7.0 complained re-submitted back 7.5 sea devils #1 Russ heath. On the census the 3 are reflected. I will call Cgc on this the good news I have the highest and that’s not bad!

On 8/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Gruson said:

I just got back my Amazing Spider-Man #300 Newsstand. When I sent it in, it was a CGC 9.4, I had it pressed and cleaned, regraded, and the Spider-Man Custom Label added. Came back 8.0 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I really wish I would’ve researched this happening to others before I sent mine in. Lesson learned, but man, that was painful. No more chasing higher grades for me.

17 hours ago, “G” said:

I just got back my Amazing Spider-Man #300 Newsstand. When I sent it in, it was a CGC 9.4, I had it pressed and cleaned, regraded, and the Spider-Man Custom Label added. Came back 8.0 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I really wish I would’ve researched this happening to others before I sent mine in. Lesson learned, but man, that was painful. No more chasing higher grades for me.

:sorry:I'm sorry...

On 5/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, cgcsketcherz said:

Plus I think once you resubmit a yellow label the old one no longer exists. I just tried to check the certification # of the old slab and Verify CGC shows it as not found. 

This is accurate. A label change should result in the old label being retired...

On 4/30/2020 at 2:45 AM, twpbknight said:

Good morning,

Thanks,

Forewarned is forearmed...