• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in your Collection - Moderns ONLY
21 21

1,944 posts in this topic

The bloodstone was $7 but turned out to be the 2nd print, boy do I feel sheepish.

The teen titans was $15 but might only be 7.0/7.5, still I have the cameo in 9.8 and once upon a time found of issue of #12 that I passed on because I wasn't aware it was a variant. Fool me once kind of deal.

IMG_20220924_150255764.jpg

IMG_20220924_150651010.jpg

On 10/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, Qalyar said:

Any fans of the video game franchise? Here's one you very much don't see everyday!

image.png.953b5889ea7be188f06a645fdf1fe909.png

I loved the nes and snes versions as a kid, idk if there were ones after that, but I own versions of them now that is hard to get through the 1st couple of levels. I think I had more patience for it long ago lol

I die now a couple of times and I quit. I remember being excited too about street fighter comics, so I understand the feeling  :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I loved the nes and snes versions as a kid, idk if there were ones after that, but I own versions of them now that is hard to get through the 1st couple of levels. I think I had more patience for it long ago lol

I die now a couple of times and I quit. I remember being excited too about street fighter comics, so I understand the feeling  :X

Contra actually has become a pretty large franchise, with 10-ish main-series games and sundry spinoffs. I, too, feel that I was better at them when I was younger! :ohnoez:

This 2002 comic is the only comic book ever released in association with the franchise. It was created for the launch of Contra: Shattered Soldier on PS2, marking the series' return to non-handheld consoles for the first time since 1992's Contra III: The Alien Wars on SNES. The comic itself, with all interior text and dialogue in both English and Japanese, is more or less a plot summary of Contra III, so that players would be familiar with the storyline from a decade prior.

General consensus is that it was supposed to be distributed as some sort of promotional give-away, including with the US release (which was actually the first region for this title). That didn't happen, and as far as anyone knows, no copies were ever distributed in North America. Oops. The overwhelming majority of known copies were pack-ins in the clamshell case of 真魂斗羅 (Shin Contra), the Japanese edition of the game, although there are reliable reports that not all JP games include the comic (my guess: there was more than one pressing of the disc, and not all of them were paired with with comic). A very small number of copies of the comic (single digits, from reliable reports) were apparently also given out directly thought other promotional channels in Japan. Perhaps because of the limited distribution, Konami Tokyo made a digital edition of the comic freely available; that website is long gone to link rot, but the people who maintain the Contra Wiki saved the images, for anyone who wants to read this strange little thing.

Solid black cover mini-comic that almost exclusively shipped underneath the plastic case clips in a Japanese-only video game clamshell case? Yeah, these are not everyday discoveries, and condition tends to be terrible. This copy's a bit bendy, and has indentations on the back cover from the case molding, but none of that seems to break color, so I think if I'm ever so inclined, it might be able to press up to a 9.4-9.6.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, Qalyar said:

Contra actually has become a pretty large franchise, with 10-ish main-series games and sundry spinoffs. I, too, feel that I was better at them when I was younger! :ohnoez:

This 2002 comic is the only comic book ever released in association with the franchise. It was created for the launch of Contra: Shattered Soldier on PS2, marking the series' return to non-handheld consoles for the first time since 1992's Contra III: The Alien Wars on SNES. The comic itself, with all interior text and dialogue in both English and Japanese, is more or less a plot summary of Contra III, so that players would be familiar with the storyline from a decade prior.

General consensus is that it was supposed to be distributed as some sort of promotional give-away, including with the US release (which was actually the first region for this title). That didn't happen, and as far as anyone knows, no copies were ever distributed in North America. Oops. The overwhelming majority of known copies were pack-ins in the clamshell case of 真魂斗羅 (Shin Contra), the Japanese edition of the game, although there are reliable reports that not all JP games include the comic (my guess: there was more than one pressing of the disc, and not all of them were paired with with comic). A very small number of copies of the comic (single digits, from reliable reports) were apparently also given out directly thought other promotional channels in Japan. Perhaps because of the limited distribution, Konami Tokyo made a digital edition of the comic freely available; that website is long gone to link rot, but the people who maintain the Contra Wiki saved the images, for anyone who wants to read this strange little thing.

Solid black cover mini-comic that almost exclusively shipped underneath the plastic case clips in a Japanese-only video game clamshell case? Yeah, these are not everyday discoveries, and condition tends to be terrible. This copy's a bit bendy, and has indentations on the back cover from the case molding, but none of that seems to break color, so I think if I'm ever so inclined, it might be able to press up to a 9.4-9.6.

I too hear it mentioned with fondness, but probably not with that much detail lol

Still responsible for one of the most quoted codes in the biz. I too beat it only because of that code, but as for ps2 I was more into mega man X. I wish I knew there were contra for handheld, as that seems fun, but I bowed out early on gaming. Still I argue preordering and getting games as they came out was not as easy back then. I remember little slips of paper mentioning stuff in the 90s but that's about it. Edit let alone comics but idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/10/2022 at 4:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I too hear it mentioned with fondness, but probably not with that much detail lol

Still responsible for one of the most quoted codes in the biz. I too beat it only because of that code, but as for ps2 I was more into mega man X. I wish I knew there were contra for handheld, as that seems fun, but I bowed out early on gaming. Still I argue preordering and getting games as they came out was not as easy back then. I remember little slips of paper mentioning stuff in the 90s but that's about it. Edit let alone comics but idk

Contra is actually far from my favorite franchise, but I'm a huge fan of these weird little promotional comic one-offs, and this one's been on my radar for awhile just because of the obscurity.

Mega Man, for what it's worth, has a far larger comic book presence, including a 55-issue series (plus a couple of related mini-series and one-offs) from Archie Comics , a 4-issue mini from Dreamwave, a 4-issue mini from Udon, and a 6-issue mini from Boom. And that doesn't count an abundance of cover variants. Which is neat and all, but I'm not quite that big a fan.