• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
2 2

130 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Just now, AnkurJ said:

10,000! That’s quite a few.

The last Intelligent Collector laid it all out. He's dumping pretty much all of it as the studio is now closed and he's working/retiring from his home. Too much art, too much headache to properly store/insure/etc.

Make se

1 hour ago, vodou said:

The last Intelligent Collector laid it all out. He's dumping pretty much all of it as the studio is now closed and he's working/retiring from his home. Too much art, too much headache to properly store/insure/etc.

Makes sense. I'd like to get one from August 6th for my wife as a gift. It's her birthday and she was a giant Garfield fan when we married and for many years after.

19 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Make se

Makes sense. I'd like to get one from August 6th for my wife as a gift. It's her birthday and she was a giant Garfield fan when we married and for many years after.

Right now they're going for too much, if you just want "an example" as opposed to a certain specific storyline strip or popular representative gag.

Give it a few years, they'll be $150-250 each not $1,000 -and you'll still have your pick from plenty of dates, eras and gags.

56 minutes ago, vodou said:

Right now they're going for too much, if you just want "an example" as opposed to a certain specific storyline strip or popular representative gag.

Give it a few years, they'll be $150-250 each not $1,000 -and you'll still have your pick from plenty of dates, eras and gags.

44 minutes ago, soulcage said:

Honestly I have no idea how the Garfield strips command as much as they do today. The art is shockingly pedestrian, and so is the humor. The 10,000 dump should normalize the market hopefully in a few years, if not immediately. 

That's my expectation. I'm not paying a ton for one.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Yup

1 hour ago, soulcage said:

Honestly I have no idea how the Garfield strips command as much as they do today. The art is shockingly pedestrian, and so is the humor. The 10,000 dump should normalize the market hopefully in a few years, if not immediately. 

Agreed.  Was that strip EVER funny?

2 hours ago, soulcage said:

I want one example at least, but it is all about the nostalgia for me. I grew up on those trade paperback collections. They got me through many a sick day.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I hate Garfield so much that someone would have to pay me $1000 to take a strip.

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Agreed.  Was that strip EVER funny?

No.  I thought I remembered hearing that he had other artists ghost for him anyway?  What confidence would people have that he actually drew those strips?