• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
2 2

130 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2021 at 11:05 PM, szav said:

Prices trending downward for these a bit in recent weeks as supply outstrips demand...works for me, finally was able to pick up a decent first year of the strip Sunday morbidly obese Garfield :) 

image.png.1191b41f4753131d44b835df41671d01.png

Nice price on that one.    Congrats :) I wanted the Ride em Cowcat one but forgot about the auction.      It went pretty high anyways so no real loss I suppose.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:47 PM, Bronty said:

Nice price on that one.    Congrats :) I wanted the Ride em Cowcat one but forgot about the auction.      It went pretty high anyways so no real loss I suppose.

Yeah not shockingly the Holliday Thursday night auction went under the radar.. unless you’re talking about anything that involved Lyman… two pieces with him appearing going for a very surprisingly high ~6k.

Short lived Lyman.. who knew.

Edited by szav

szav said...."Yeah not shockingly the Holliday Thursday night auction went under the radar"  made me go look, since I did not preview or attend that auction.  Hmmm...seemed to me like prices were strong for a single-character/artist event with known widespread availability of the art.  imho, David

On 11/12/2021 at 4:55 PM, aokartman said:

seemed to me like prices were strong for a single-character/artist event with known widespread availability of the art.  imho, David

Dunno, going by the previous sales on first year Sundays, which are generally high on the desirability list due to Davis himself not doing much of the actual artwork after the first year,  I’d still say most everything went low on Thursday.  The typical first year sundays had been going for about 3.5k on average with many close to 5k, so seeing them down around 2k… as I said works for me.

Likewise the latter year sets of six are down from previous sales in the 3.5k range to 2kish.

No idea whether they’ll sink further, and while there is a general glut of material, the 1978-1979 stuff will probably be hard to come by in the future.  I’m thrilled to get one.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, szav said:

Dunno, going by the previous sales on first year Sundays, which are generally high on the desirability list due to Davis himself not doing much of the actual artwork after the first year,  I’d still say most everything went low on Thursday.  The typical first year sundays had been going for about 3.5k on average with many close to 5k, so seeing them down around 2k… as I said works for me.

Likewise the latter year sets of six are down from previous sales in the 3.5k range to 2kish.

No idea whether they’ll sink further, and while there is a general glut of material, the 1978-1979 stuff will probably be hard to come by in the future.  I’m thrilled to get one.

I’d say things were off 20-30% 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:11 AM, spidey300 said:

I was also rather stunned to see a decent Sunday strip from the first year only go for $1,200.

I usually don’t buy the ‘it was in a bad day and I forgot the auction excuse’… but this was on a bad day, Thursday, and I forgot the auction despite tracking several pieces that all went low.  Could be the sheer volume is finally taking its toll too.

Congrats on the great pickup at a good price!

Edited by szav

On 2/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, Bronty said:

For sure the volume is starting to show, although I also forgot the auction :( 

On 2/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, szav said:

I usually don’t buy the ‘it was in a bad day and I forgot the auction excuse’… but this was on a bad day, Thursday, and I forgot the auction despite tracking several pieces that all went low.

Seems like it was indeed a bad day to hold the auction. But if the strips weren't so readily available thus far (unlike Calvin and Hobbes), I'm sure everyone would've been there with bells on. I won't complain 😊

Picked up one more for the small pile I have going.  Last night's auction probably had the lowest prices I've seen yet, likely the bad time slot, the sheer volume dragging prices down, and the sagging economy.  Not many strong prices (the elusive Lyman still bringing a premium though), and some daily strips even dipping down into the 300$ range.  Works for me.

image.png.e937015c5b774ce16f374fd7fee1cc04.png

Number 7 for me... guess I have a problem.  Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.  Prices are still looking low for most things, although the earliest 1979 panels with morbidly obese Garfield drawn by Davis get the biggest premium and are still going for around 3-4k (there's a strong correlation between Garfield's weight and prices realized with these strips).  People are still crazy for Lyman too...haven't been able to grab one yet.

image.png.f5edea0c7d303cd7539d2db605b10be1.png

On 1/16/2023 at 5:23 PM, szav said:

Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.

That’s an interesting sub-focus. lol

On 1/16/2023 at 7:23 PM, szav said:

Number 7 for me... guess I have a problem.  Needed a good Garfield physically abusing Jon strip, nice to get a Sunday of this important category.  Prices are still looking low for most things, although the earliest 1979 panels with morbidly obese Garfield drawn by Davis get the biggest premium and are still going for around 3-4k (there's a strong correlation between Garfield's weight and prices realized with these strips).  People are still crazy for Lyman too...haven't been able to grab one yet.

I was the underbidder on this one (several actually).

A very funny strip, with many emotional changes to his face. Nice pickup.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:23 PM, szav said:

great strip!  congrats!

I've got some other irons in the fire so I haven't been bidding but I hope to bid again on future strips.

My focus is 'garfield physically abusing Odie' lol 

On 1/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, szav said:

We all do this right?  It’s a rationalization to buy more… I ‘need’ one in this category I just made up …or else the collection is not complete.

Very true. Not to mention, you can expand the "Felines Abusing Their Owners" focus to justify a future Calvin and Hobbes strip purchase.

2059214979_ScreenShot2023-01-18at10_28_35AM.png.e11e7c8743281a2222074b0832ab2f7c.png