• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2022 at 1:00 AM, D2 said:

So, yes. I do agree with you, but I would introduce a side angle to the perspective. 

Rather than the MCU trekking down the path of biggerer and biggerer, like you describe, which is always a failed avenue, I think they are better to take a “Game of Thrones” approach. Keep the audience guessing. 

What I would think would really flip it on its head, is if the reason they stepped into the whole multiverse scenario in the first place, is so they can uproot the apple tree, annihilate all of entirety, to introduce The X-Men through a ‘Days of Future Past’ / ‘Age of Apocalypse’ World. 

To your point, that’s comics’ biggest flaw, nothing matters. So keep them guessing. 

In movies though, things should matter, because these actors have a 20 year shelf life, max. They should play that to their advantage. 

I think the largest reason they are doing the multiverse is because on the surface it is the least complicated way to integrate the Fox properties.  This way they do not have to truly reboot X-Men, and FF.  They do not have to disavow those movies, because this allows them to be canonical. It also allows them to avoid doing an origin film, because it has already been done. But, as stated before, that approach has its own issues.

Really, I think Phase 4 and Phase 5 are basically treading water, till FF and X-Men can be incorporated without having to deal with any outstanding contracts or legal complications left over from old Fox deals. That is the main reason we have not seen them yet. The inconvenient fact is most of the characters introduced recently have never even been widely popular in the comics. Yes, I know many of the characters the MCU was build on were B or C tier, but these have been D tier or lower. So if they fail to catch on, no real loss.  If one does, it is an unexpected win. It is all just a waiting game until they can get some B and even A tier characters back.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:50 AM, drotto said:

Really, I think Phase 4 and Phase 5 are basically treading water, till FF and X-Men can be incorporated without having to deal with any outstanding contracts or legal complications left over from old Fox deals. That is the main reason we have not seen them yet. The inconvenient fact is most of the characters introduced recently have never even been widely popular in the comics. Yes, I know many of the characters the MCU was build on were B or C tier, but these have been D tier or lower. So if they fail to catch on, no real loss.  If one does, it is an unexpected win. It is all just a waiting game until they can get some B and even A tier characters back.

I have enjoyed the Ant-Man movies. So I am hoping Ant-Man 3 as Avengers 6 (Civil War was Avengers 3) may get things back on track. But I could be wrong. I just hope I'm not.

On 12/19/2022 at 1:41 AM, kimik said:

Based on the post-Covid box office success of the Spider-Man and to a lesser extent Venom franchises, maybe DIS should close the Marvel studios side of the shop and license everything to Sony instead for Phase 5.......................:devil:

But Sony listens to the fans...

On 12/19/2022 at 11:50 AM, drotto said:

I think the largest reason they are doing the multiverse is because on the surface it is the least complicated way to integrate the Fox properties.  This way they do not have to truly reboot X-Men, and FF.  They do not have to disavow those movies, because this allows them to be canonical. It also allows them to avoid doing an origin film, because it has already been done. But, as stated before, that approach has its own issues.

Yeah that makes most sense to me as well.

I read, I'm sure by someone on here, that Fox contracts ran until 2025, so if there was any release or development until that time, they have to pay out all of the actors. Which, is in part why they can still bring back Patrick Steward, Hugh Jackman.

I just wish they WOULD reboot it all. I liked my X-Men flicks, but First Class was a good show with how they can truly and successfully be rebooted.

That being said, the fact that they are trying to skip over the origin stories is also a big win.

Still, the drumbeat that Something Is Rotten in the State of Marvel Studios only grew louder with the release of “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” a film that finished shooting over a year before it was due in theaters and still weathered repeated criticism for “generic” visual effects that looked like “CGI glop” and were “very flat and cruddy-looking.” Even more critical: The movie has grossed $463 million globally to date, the worst performance of the “Ant-Man” franchise and a figure that means that it will struggle to break even in its theatrical window.  

That’s the wrong trajectory for a studio that Disney has come to rely upon as an unshakable box office cash machine, one whose films have grossed over $28 billion at the global box office, especially as Iger makes plain that he’s cutting costs across the company. Insiders say the five Disney+ series from Marvel Studios that had been scheduled to debut in 2023 have been narrowed to three or four, with the others moving into 2024 and possibly beyond. That will take some of the immediate pressure off of Marvel’s post-production pipeline. 

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Probably going to be something like two Disney+ series and one or two Holiday Specials annually.

Ok, your right.  They admit that the original reports made it sound like a deepfake, but the director is now saying she was filmed remotely live and inserted in the scene.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:52 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

81BA21F8-C75D-427A-849C-D0B5693E1C00.thumb.jpeg.e2ae39441b9d7de62dffa74950141d17.jpeg
Not an official statement from Marvel. 

I really wanted to like the Eternals. I kept threatening to watch it on Disney+ have having seen in the theater. I would tell myself, maybe it deserves a second viewing? I never gave it one. 

My very premature prediction:  the charges will be dropped when the woman in question decides not to prosecute.  

That's just how these things go most of the time, even when there is no celebrity involved.  I have to believe that the spotlight from Majors' celebrity would make the woman in question even more hesitant.