• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

523 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 5:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

Hulu and HBO Max so far seem to bring the most diverse portfolio of properties from my experience.

Luckily I get Hulu via T-Mobile and HBO Max due to my Verizon package. Disney+ for now without the Star Wars and MCU content just seems to have so much of its 'From The Vault' content we own already. And with the 20th Century Studios content much of the more adult content ends up on Hulu anyway.

I forgot about Hulu, I have a sub but Hulu makes it very hard if not impossible to stream through a VPN while I’m outside of the US. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, ▫️ said:

I forgot about Hulu, I have a sub but Hulu makes it very hard if not impossible to stream through a VPN while I’m outside of the US. 

• Only Murders In The Building
  • The Great
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Mister Inbetween (FX)
  • Fantasy Island (Fox)
  • Big Sky (ABC)
  • Dopesick
  • Motherland: Fort Salem (Freeform)
  • Reservation Dogs (FX show from Taika Waititi)
  • What We Do In The Shadows (FX)

Crazy the amount of content one streamer brings to the table like that.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

'From The Vault' content we own already.

This is one that really gets me. 

SO MUCH of the content really does nothing for me as I have so many that are not only already there, but even more that they may never put up on the streamer. 

20220106_134203.thumb.jpg.181e3008ae1dbc3e426d803cdaf2537a.jpg

Netflix is raising prices for its video streaming customers in the U.S. and Canada, less than a year and a half since its last price increase, as competition from other streaming services increases.

The Los Gatos, California, company said Friday that prices are going up by $1 to $2, depending on the plan. The “standard” plan that most people take is increasing by $1.50, to $15.50. The Canadian version is going up by the same amount in local currency, to $16.50 Canadian dollars.

Price increases are becoming more of a regular feature at Netflix, which is facing saturation in the U.S. market. Of Netflix’s 213.5 million subscribers, some 74 million are in the U.S. and Canada. It got an influx of global subscribers early in the pandemic, but is investing in video games as it looks beyond movies and TV for growth.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, paperheart said:

Netflix coughed up a hairball w/ Q1 subscriber growth way below estimates

Which only really matter to investors - who set those estimates in the first place, and who want infinite growth for no effort. If we went by stockholder expectations then we might be led to believe that a company simply remaining stable and profitable really means they are dying :P

Revenue still grew 16% year over year, and paid memberships rose 9% year over year. People like to cry about how Disney or other streaming services grow more content, but Netflix is tech first and a movie studio second - it focuses on the backend and is way ahead of almost every other company in terms of how they develop and operate their tech. That's the real money maker for them (since everyone else would pay hand over fist to use their chaos system tools and infrastructure)

I sold off my netflix shares awhile ago when they got above $500 a share and felt foolish which it kept going up and up.  With all the increased competition I just didn't see a way for them to lose market shares.  Took much longer then I thought but the drop makes sense. 

Telecom giant AT&T reported its fourth-quarter earnings and narrowed its guidance for the timing of the close of the mega-merger.

AT&T narrowed, on Wednesday, its guidance on the timing of the expected close of the WarnerMedia merger with Discovery. After previously saying the deal would wrap up by mid-year 2022, or by the end of the second quarter of the year, “the company now expects (it) to close in the second quarter.” The previous guidance had included the possibility of a first-quarter deal close, which many observers had seen as unlikely though.

WarnerMedia had early this year disclosed its year-end 2021 subscriber count. WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar told The Hollywood Reporter back then that it was thanks to his team’s hard work that HBO Max, launched about 19 months ago in the U.S., has “seen growth in all the markets, in all the regions.”

Asked about key original series and film releases that helped HBO Max top its own targets for 2021, Kilar said: “It’s not one series or one movie that drove the growth throughout the year, it really was consistent execution throughout all four quarters. The business is not about what you do, but about what you do consistently. And this team and our creative partners have delivered hits each and every quarter.” He mentioned the likes of And Just Like That, The Sex Lives of College Girls, Succession, Mare of Easttown, Friends: The Reunion and the various Warner movies of 2021. “All of these things mattered throughout the course of the year,” the WarnerMedia CEO said.

HBO Max has lined up the second phase of its international launch, with 15 further European nations set to receive WarnerMedia’s streaming platform from March 8.

The next wave of countries are: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia.

That will take the total number to 61 territories across Europe and the Americas for the streamer. Later this year, the service will also add six more Euro countries including Greece and Turkey.

This is the year I crack down on my services. I have way too many streaming platform subscriptions and more than half of them are getting the axe. Last year was the best time to have HBOMAX for all those theatrical releases that hit the platform on the same day or close to it. But that looks like it will start to go away so HBO is probably out. Disney will get the axe for sure just because I already own most of the Disney, Marvel and Star Wars catalog. Netflix is staying for now as is Amazon Prime just because I need that free shipping. STARZ and Paramount+ have already been axed. I’m on the fence about Hulu. Will have to see what they have planned this year. I believe the next Predator and Alien flicks are on Hulu. And finally AppleTV+ gets saved just because its in my cloud storage bundle. All I care about is the storage otherwise I would have axed AppleTV long ago. But they are slowly upping their game. Really enjoying Severance right now.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, ▫️ said:

This is the year I crack down on my services. I have way too many streaming platform subscriptions and more than half of them are getting the axe. Last year was the best time to have HBOMAX for all those theatrical releases that hit the platform on the same day or close to it. But that looks like it will start to go away so HBO is probably out. Disney will get the axe for sure just because I already own most of the Disney, Marvel and Star Wars catalog. Netflix is staying for now as is Amazon Prime just because I need that free shipping. STARZ and Paramount+ have already been axed. I’m on the fence about Hulu. Will have to see what they have planned this year. I believe the next Predator and Alien flicks are on Hulu. And finally AppleTV+ gets saved just because its in my cloud storage bundle. All I care about is the storage otherwise I would have axed AppleTV long ago. But they are slowly upping their game. Really enjoying Severance right now.

Have you looked to see if your cell service provides any of the streaming options for free? With our Sprint/T-Mobile plan, we got 1 year free of Apple TV+ and get free Hulu. I wouldn't pay for either of those.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:14 AM, Capn17 said:

Have you looked to see if your cell service provides any of the streaming options for free? With our Sprint/T-Mobile plan, we got 1 year free of Apple TV+ and get free Hulu. I wouldn't pay for either of those.

Yes, my T-Mobile Military plan gives me free Netflix.  

On 3/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, ▫️ said:

Yes, my T-Mobile Military plan gives me free Netflix.  

My T-Mobile military plan was a carryover from Sprint so I get Hulu. No Netflix unfortunately.