• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

529 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, piper said:

I’m not paying $30 or more to watch a movie on my 65” TV at home. No thanks.

Yeah, I don't know how much Disney spent on this film but I think they are going to take a beating.  Seriously $30 to watch Mulan?

6 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I don't know how much Disney spent on this film but I think they are going to take a beating.  Seriously $30 to watch Mulan?

But they will share another Endgame deleted scene (at least 2 minutes) to make it worth our while. Maybe even 3 minutes. (:

3 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I won’t pay $30 to watch any film at home. I love the experience of going to the theatre and buying overpriced 🍿.

I can’t wait until some new films are released in the theatres again.

Would I pay $15? Not sure...

The torrent sites will have this available within nanoseconds of its release.

6 minutes ago, piper said:

I won’t pay $30 to watch any film at home. I love the experience of going to the theatre and buying overpriced 🍿.

I can’t wait until some new films are released in the theatres again.

Would I pay $15? Not sure...

The torrent sites will have this available within nanoseconds of its release.

(tsk)

mickey_mad.gif.916cb1d6e2f097d6a25e11295851058c.gif

27 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is the Watchmen (Director's Cut, specifically) movie on HBO Max?

Nope. Theatrical Cut.

Watchmen_HBO_Max.thumb.PNG.41599c962806cb2d1c2d66371e476828.PNG

But they did the same with BVS. Until a bunch of people (including myself) directly pointed out the Ultimate Edition is what they should have posted, HBO Max missed this. But within two weeks they changed it out.

BVS01.thumb.PNG.6bb6a2c7b29da066229fdb13d1372732.PNG

But what that demonstrates is HBO Max and AT&T are clearly listening.

:headbang:

On 8/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, media_junkie said:

I agree. It should be a straight up $19.99 purchase price with reduction to $14.99 after some months have passed. Is the $30 a rental or unlimited streaming unlock on Disney+? Lots of greed during the pandemic. Disney could have shown a lot of class by just putting it on Disney+ as a thank-you to all the subscribers during hard times. I’m not an Apple cheerleader, but they bought a big budget cancelled cinema release and gave it to all AppleTV subscribers at no extra charge. Tom Hanks WW2 flick GREYHOUND. That’s a film I would have paid to see. 

EDIT:

Looking further into it, it’s actually $37 to watch Mulan if you don’t already subscribe to Disney+. The $30 is just an early viewing unlock on the channel. It will be made available to view without the extra fee at a later date. Possibly a few months. I have a subscription so my daughters will simply wait to see it when it’s part of the normal streaming service. Same for Black Widow which may follow the same path as Mulan. 

SECOND EDIT:

Who am I kidding? I’ll pay $30 to unlock Black Widow early. I’ll just invite some friends and charge them “admission.” They bring the food and beer. There are some movies I’ll watch online at the free sites but I want to stream Black Widow in 4K. 

Edited by Grails

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It must be that Disney marketing that will be 100% out of its pocket that leads to such a massive charge.

Mulan_DisneyPlus01.PNG.1cff7fb5e5508d80b1df8b534d4c1087.PNG

Ok, but what marketing has there been?  Other than various stories saying the movie was delayed basically every three weeks, to last week when it said it would be $30 on Disney+ I haven't really seen any marketing.

12 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, but what marketing has there been?  Other than various stories saying the movie was delayed basically every three weeks, to last week when it said it would be $30 on Disney+ I haven't really seen any marketing.

:baiting:

What Disney+ is trying to do could be considered a new rental offering that is pretty much offered by services such as Verizon, Comcast or other video providers that have a subscription/service fee - but now offered by a streaming service.

With a subscription incentive rental offering, you only have access to the film you 'purchased as long as you stay enrolled in their service. So that is the incentive. The bad thing is right now Disney's other films and TV shows it can attempt this with from historic releases many of us already own via DVD, bluray or digital (iTunes, Google Play, FandangoNow, VUDU and even Movies Anywhere - a Disney company). So to make this work, it has to flood the service with even more rentals as an incentive to make people come back repeatedly.

I think one of the biggest issues for me is relying on content staying on the same streaming platform year over year. 

For example, I go to rewatch an old TV show (e.g. MadMen, Dexter, etc.) and find that it is no longer available for viewing.

20 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, so like 2 weeks ago HBOMax was at 4 million subscribers, they added 23 million that quick?  Even though Roku and Amazon Fire don't support them yet?  Something isn't adding up.

Big news #1: Verizon has introduced new plans that combine unlimited wireless with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.

Big news #2: Apple rolled out a combo deal that includes both CBS All Access and Showtime for $10, 42% off the regular price.

Why this matters: New bundles are starting to emerge outside of traditional pay-TV providers.  For example, Apple and Verizon each benefit from these bundles through increased revenue/lock-in to a wireless service (Verizon) or hardware sales (Apple).

Global SVOD subscribers, according to Axios (click here - if you dare):
1) Netflix – 193M
2) Amazon Prime – 150M
3) Disney+ – 61M
4) Hulu – 36M
5) HBO Max – 27M
6) CBS All Access + Showtime – 16M

7da2e800-28a1-4e25-bc26-ba98c97e657c.png

Share of U.S. SVOD subscribers according to ANTENNA:
1) Netflix – 39%
2) Hulu – 22%
3) Disney+ – 17%
4) CBS All Access + Showtime – 9%
5) HBO Max – 6%
6) Starz – 6%
7) Apple TV+ – 1%

25328c29-238f-4c4b-a945-d39191f03ec9.png

Time spent with SVOD services according to eMarketer:
1) 2018 – 0h 44m (↑ 20%)
2) 2019 – 0h 51m (↑ 15%)
3) 2020P – 1h 2m (↑ 23%)
4) 2021P – 1h 7m (↑ 7%)
5) 2022P – 1h 10m (↑ 5%)

2cb23bc8-0c4b-4786-81a2-bc88f5c4dd89.png

Mouse House streaming service Disney Plus has launched in Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Belgium and Luxembourg.

The service will cost €6.99 ($8.30) monthly or €69.99 ($83.20) in Portugal, Belgium, Finland, Iceland and Luxembourg; 69 NOK ($7.63) a month or 689 NOK ($76.28) a year in Norway; 69 SEK ($7.87) / 689 SEK ($78.62) in Sweden; and 59 DKK ($9.42) / 589 DKK ($94.05) in Denmark.

Territories now served by the streamer include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Channel Islands, France, Germany, Iceland, India and Indonesia as Disney Plus Hotstar, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Spain, Switzerland, the U.K. and the U.S.

ViacomCBS hopes to become a bigger player in the global streaming business with the rebrand of CBS All Access as Paramount Plus early next year.

The new name will coincide with another expansion of its original programming efforts and its archive of programming drawn from the newly combined Viacom and CBS Corp. archives. ViacomCBS vowed to rev up efforts to expand the service overseas, where Paramount Pictures the company’s most established studio brand.

“Paramount is an iconic and storied brand beloved by consumers all over the world, and it is synonymous with quality, integrity and world-class storytelling,” said Bob Bakish, president-CEO of ViacomCBS. “With Paramount Plus, we’re excited to establish one global streaming brand in the broad-pay segment that will draw on the sheer breadth and depth of the ViacomCBS portfolio to offer an extraordinary collection of content for everyone to enjoy.”