• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

491 posts in this topic

Author George R.R. Martin gave a significant update on the Game of Thrones prequels Wednesday, including revealing their updated titles and showrunners.

The live-action titles will be on HBO, Martin notes, while the animated series is for HBO Max.

On the subject of House of the Dragon, which is coming this year, the author and executive producer says, “What I have seen, I have loved. I am eager to see more.”

Martin notes he is involved “a lot” with the prequels — “deeply, heavily involved in every one of the new shows.”

On 5/5/2022 at 12:39 PM, drotto said:

Season 8 of GoT has still left such a bad taste in my mouth, I have no enthusiasm for this series.

Season 8 was trash for sure, but the best part of the show (for me) was the journey so I’m still fired up for the new series. But I totally get where you’re coming from. 

On 5/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, bentbryan said:

Season 8 was trash for sure, but the best part of the show (for me) was the journey so I’m still fired up for the new series. But I totally get where you’re coming from. 

Agreed!

I just wrapped up rewatching all 8 seasons over a few months. Man, what a fun ride that was. I need to track down Seasons 7 and 8 for itunes so I had to watch those on HBO Max. The rest I own. I can see myself rewatching this a few more times over the years. It is that incredible.

As much as we complain about Season 8, it wasn't that horrible.

It's just clear from all we learned George R.R. Martin pushed for two more seasons and the executive producers wanted to bail to go work on their Star Wars trilogy. So they rushed the events along. In this case, HBO should have really applied a heavier hand and gone with Martin on his recommendations. Season 8 could have been about the Night King only. Season 9 could have been about the sides amassing their forces. Season 10 could have been the final war.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

As much as we complain about Season 8, it wasn't that horrible.

It's just clear from all we learned George R.R. Martin pushed for two more seasons and the executive producers wanted to bail to go work on their Star Wars trilogy. So they rushed the events along. In this case, HBO should have really applied a heavier hand and gone with Martin on his recommendations. Season 8 could have been about the Night King only. Season 9 could have been about the sides amassing their forces. Season 10 could have been the final war.

I agree, but I also think that HBO should have had the courage to replace the show runners.  It becomes painfully obvious that after they surpassed the books, they did not have either the skills or desire to make the show anymore.

I am not saying GOT did not end up more or less where Martin intended, but the story gaps created in rushing things along made it almost unwatchable.  It needed more time.   

Granted, it also needed an author to get off his and finish the books so the showrunners where not forced into uncharted territory. 

I know some people won't agree with this...BUTT...

...they need to bring back the sex, nudity, and violence that made the earlier seasons of GoT so enjoyable (along with a great story obviously).  As GoT became more popular and the stars got more famous I think they started having more say in what they wanted to show/do on screen.

***Not Spartacus (the show) levels of violence/nudity...that was just over the top