• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

491 posts in this topic

HBO has paused shooting on its “Game of Thrones” prequel “House of the Dragon” because of a positive COVID-19 case on set, Variety has confirmed.

As part of testing implemented for all production employees, a production member on the series tested positive for COVID-19. In compliance with industry guidelines, the production member is in isolation, and close contacts will be required to quarantine. Production will resume on Wednesday after a two-day pause.

This is the third COVID-affected shoot in the U.K. in the last few days. Netflix’s “Bridgerton” paused shooting after a positive case, resumed, and paused again after another case. The streamer’s “Matilda” has also paused for the same reason. London’s Riverside Studios has canceled its revival of Terence Rattigan’s play “The Browning Version,” starring Kenneth Branagh, because of the COVID-enforced absence of cast members during rehearsals.

This week, we learned seven new cast members had been added to the series, which will draw inspiration from George R.R. Martin's novella Fire & Blood, and follow the rise of the Targaryen family. In Game of Thrones, dragons had been extinct for nearly 150 years before Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion were born in the Season One finale. However, House of the Dragon takes place long before the series we know and love, which means fans can expect to see more dragons on the series. In fact, Martin recently teased that there will be 17.

"I've always thought this was a cool story, it's one I like, so I'm looking forward to seeing it come alive on screen," Martin told The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of podcast. "And of course I'm looking forward to the dragons! Obviously, I love the dragons. We had three of them in Game of Thrones but now we got like 17 of them. And hopefully, they'll each have their own personalities, they'll be instantly recognizable when you see them, the colors and all of that because the dragons do have personalities in the books, and it'll be great to see that come alive. And the dragon riders. That's all pretty cool."

On 9/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, marvelcollector said:

Did he mention when he might finish the book? meh

Just around the corner after he buys and renovates another theater or two, participates and plans 18 more panels and gives 118 new interviews about the pending book that is right around the corner.

doh!

On 10/6/2021 at 8:37 AM, vheflin said:

I predict endless cg dragon spectacle and fan service.

keeping expectations low, real low

I like to focus on the positive years of Game of Thrones (Seasons 1-6) and the somewhat good year (Season 7). To dismiss everything because of Season 8 and how the showrunners wanted to cut and run early to work for Disney on Star Wars was extremely disappointing. But so much great content for so long.

At least they will not be involved.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, Wolverinex said:

If Jon snow isn't king, I'm not watching.  Thanks for the blue balls hbo... totally wasted my time

I have zero intention of watching after how dismal and rushed the final season was.  If it turns out to be great, I'll tune in after the fact.  But this doesn't incentivize me to sign up for HBO Max.  If anything, I'll wait until the series finishes and binge it.  I refuse to commit time to another GoT show only to be disappointed again.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, ExNihilo said:

I have zero intention of watching after how dismal and rushed the final season was.  If it turns out to be great, I'll tune in after the fact.  But this doesn't incentivize me to sign up for HBO Max.  If anything, I'll wait until the series finishes and binge it.  I refuse to commit time to another GoT show only to be disappointed again.

I know, Season 8 essentially destroyed all Goodwill. All they need to do is give us what we wanted and that was it

House of the Dragon co-showrunner Miguel Sapochnik is breaking his silence on his highly anticipated Game of Thrones prequel series.

During a Hollywood Reporter interview about his upcoming post-apocalyptic Apple movie Finch, the two-time Emmy-winner took a couple questions about his highly anticipated HBO fantasy drama which is set roughly 200 years before the events in GoT.

THR asked Sapochink how the upcoming drama’s look, feel and tone will differ from the original series, which ran from 2011 to 2019 and ranked as HBO’s most popular program in its history and the most Emmy-winning primetime drama of all time.

“I think we were very respectful of what the original show is,” said Sapochnik, who directs multiple episodes of Dragon and also serves as showrunner along with series co-creator Ryan Condal. “It wasn’t broken so we’re not we’re not trying to reinvent the wheel. House of the Dragon has its own tone that will evolve and emerge over the course of the show. But first, it’s very important to pay respects and homage to the original series, which was pretty groundbreaking. We’re standing on the shoulders of that show and we’re only here because of that show. So the most important thing for us to do is to respect that show as much as possible and try and compliment it rather than reinvent it. And I was involved in making the original show, so I feel like that’s been useful. Like, I’m not arriving going, ‘Let’s change everything! Let’s do a different color palette!’ No, I quite like the color palette.”

Now, more has been revealed about what happened behind the scenes of Game of Thrones in a new book titled "Tinderbox: HBO's Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers" by bestselling journalist, James Andrew Miller (via Insider). In it, Miller provides an oral history of the broadcaster using over 700 interviews, from everyone to Martin himself to HBO's former CEO, Richard Plepler. Paul Haas, Martin's agent, explained how the fantasy author would meet directly with Plepler and "beg him" to make Game of Thrones a 10-season series with 10 episodes each, believing there was even enough material to go up to 13 seasons. Read Haas' full quote below:

"George would fly to New York to have lunch with Plepler, to beg him to do ten seasons of ten episodes because there was enough material for it and to tell him it would be a more satisfying and more entertaining experience."

I get that Benioff and Weiss wanted to leave, but why wouldn't HBO just replace them?  It was the most popular series in the history of the network, so I don't get why Pleplar would have shared the producers' rush given that Martin--and the entire fanbase--so vehemently disagreed with it.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:48 AM, fantastic_four said:

I get that Benioff and Weiss wanted to leave, but why wouldn't HBO just replace them?  It was the most popular series in the history of the network, so I don't get why Pleplar would have shared the producers' rush given that Martin--and the entire fanbase--so vehemently disagreed with it.

It really is one of the worst TV show decisions with such a massive hit series. Allowing them to rush it along so they could head over to Disney and work on Star Wars.