• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Strips

69 posts in this topic

If you are just starting your reprint collection, be sure and get the hardcover version of Fantagraphics Prince Valiant.  It has far superior resolution and makes the art much more impressive and enjoyable.  I know several people who put together a complete run of the soft cover reprints, saw the hardcover quality, and sold their softcover set and started over with the hardcovers as the strip is loved for its art at least as much as for its narrative.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, Yellow Kid said:

If you are just starting your reprint collection, be sure and get the hardcover version of Fantagraphics Prince Valiant.  It has far superior resolution and makes the art much more impressive and enjoyable.  I know several people who put together a complete run of the soft cover reprints, saw the hardcover quality, and sold their softcover set and started over with the hardcovers as the strip is loved for its art at least as much as for its narrative.

Great recommendation!

The gigantic German reprints of the first 3 years are spectacular, though a bit pricey and difficult to find at this point.

Sunday Press put out a very impressive line up of super-sized reprints!  I bought several at San Diego Con, where they offered free shipping so that I didn't have to lug them onto an airplane.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, Yellow Kid said:

This is true.  

I missed hardcover Vol 5 when, for some reason, it singularly went out of print.  I decided to fill the Vol 5 HC void with the soft covers.  When HC Vol came back into print a few years later I compared the two versions and there was a noticeable difference.

I believe that the HC and soft cover used, in some instances, different source material which would account for the difference in image quality.