The Official Image Newsstand Thread
5 5

221 posts in this topic

So, this seems like it is a barcode sticker applied after the fact. I did find a copy of Deathmate Blue on eBay with the same barcode. I know there was some discussion in the Spawn thread about barcode stickers, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Anybody have any info about whether this is more than a sticker applied after the fact?

Deathmate Blue - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEATHMATE-Image-Blue-Comics-100A-BoxA-/194160654858?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Spoiler

1887305241_cyberforce25front.thumb.jpg.52c117c0fc457493bbe6df1017224449.jpg

2015176615_cyberforce25back.thumb.jpg.dd14ac713eab2599e1e6245d6363cdc7.jpg

Edited by awakeintheashes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 2:03 PM, awakeintheashes said:

So, this seems like it is a barcode sticker applied after the fact. I did find a copy of Deathmate Blue on eBay with the same barcode. I know there was some discussion in the Spawn thread about barcode stickers, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Anybody have any info about whether this is more than a sticker applied after the fact?

Deathmate Blue - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEATHMATE-Image-Blue-Comics-100A-BoxA-/194160654858?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

  Hide contents

1887305241_cyberforce25front.thumb.jpg.52c117c0fc457493bbe6df1017224449.jpg

2015176615_cyberforce25back.thumb.jpg.dd14ac713eab2599e1e6245d6363cdc7.jpg

I can not specifically speak to this issue, but there are several threads where it has been discussed about UPC stickers . Generally the norm has been that a lot of these were added for the newsstand market of direct editions. They were usually added for places like Waldenbooks and BAM although a lot of those use EN or EAN barcodes similar to what you see on books. These have been found on many issues. So far I have several Superman, Batman runs from the 90's as well as Killing Joke 1st from the 80's and Batman Cult. They have also been found on Star Wars Heir to the Empire books. It does not matter as far as CGC is concerned they consider all of the stickers added post production and garner a Green Label. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I can not specifically speak to this issue, but there are several threads where it has been discussed about UPC stickers . Generally the norm has been that a lot of these were added for the newsstand market of direct editions. They were usually added for places like Waldenbooks and BAM although a lot of those use EN or EAN barcodes similar to what you see on books. These have been found on many issues. So far I have several Superman, Batman runs from the 90's as well as Killing Joke 1st from the 80's and Batman Cult. They have also been found on Star Wars Heir to the Empire books. It does not matter as far as CGC is concerned they consider all of the stickers added post production and garner a Green Label. 

Thanks for the insight. I knew there had been discussion about it, and finally found it after you posted. 

Anybody miss how Google would show all the threads where a topic was mentioned ok these boards? It still does with voldy’s boards, but since the recent upgrades on these boards, it doesn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks for the insight. I knew there had been discussion about it, and finally found it after you posted. 

Anybody miss how Google would show all the threads where a topic was mentioned ok these boards? It still does with voldy’s boards, but since the recent upgrades on these boards, it doesn’t. 

Try using bing

Sounds wierd, but I think for some odd reason the Google search for cgc is turned off.

Idk why

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks for the insight. I knew there had been discussion about it, and finally found it after you posted. 

Anybody miss how Google would show all the threads where a topic was mentioned ok these boards? It still does with voldy’s boards, but since the recent upgrades on these boards, it doesn’t. 

You are welcome.  

I agree it really sucks that they removed google search functionality as the CGC board search function is absolutely horrid.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 6:24 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You are welcome.  

I agree it really sucks that they removed google search functionality as the CGC board search function is absolutely horrid.  

Ya I'm not technical but bing works, used it the other day, just double checking you saw my post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been trying to gather all of the Savage Dragon newsstand editions, and I'm down to hunting for issues that I'm not sure exist.  Anyone know for certain if NS copies of Savage Dragon (1993 ongoing series) were released for issues 1 through 5, and 27 through 29? 

Based on what I've read about the release of the "Spawn/Savage Dragon" NS version of issue 30, I've surmised that issue 29 probably wasn't released as NS.  But I saw an old archived thread where Erik Larsen recalled that the Newsstand versions stopped at issue 28, which could have been an error in his recollection, but it thickens the plot... I'm also a little curious about an NS version of issue 13b, since it was released between issues 19 and 20, although I'm guessing the oddity around that one wasn't conducive to a release on the stands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, Jason Falk said:

I've been trying to gather all of the Savage Dragon newsstand editions, and I'm down to hunting for issues that I'm not sure exist.  Anyone know for certain if NS copies of Savage Dragon (1993 ongoing series) were released for issues 1 through 5, and 27 through 29? 

Based on what I've read about the release of the "Spawn/Savage Dragon" NS version of issue 30, I've surmised that issue 29 probably wasn't released as NS.  But I saw an old archived thread where Erik Larsen recalled that the Newsstand versions stopped at issue 28, which could have been an error in his recollection, but it thickens the plot... I'm also a little curious about an NS version of issue 13b, since it was released between issues 19 and 20, although I'm guessing the oddity around that one wasn't conducive to a release on the stands.

I think its 29 though as well. I know the Spawn/SD issue was it. Which is really hard to find. 

I can look and see if I have any of those. I dont think I have seen a 13b either.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 5:41 AM, ThothAmon said:

Never heard of this title. 
 

image.jpg

Hard for a miniseries that took 19 months to put out 4 issues to get any buzz. 
That one also looks to be direct edition rather than newsstand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long barcode vs short barcode. 
Direct edition barcodes have five digits in the secondary section. (First section is single digit, then five digits denoting the publisher, then five digits denoting the title, then a check digit). Newsstand bar codes have two digits in the secondary section denoting just the month of publication.

On a direct edition barcode the five digits will 99.8% of the time be: three digits for the issue number, then a digit for the cover number, then a digit for the printing number. So a first print cover A of issue 1 will be 00111. A first print cover B of issue 1 will be 00121. A second print cover A of issue 3 will be 00312... So if you’re perusing a box of Nightwing back issues all the first prints will end in 1. Issue 58 would be 05811 for cover A and 05821 for cover B.

The only time this breaks down on recent books is when they do more than 9 covers, especially for new #1s. So you might see covers A-E be 00111, 00121, 00131, 00141, 00151. But if they did 27 covers of issue 1 you’ll get squirrelly things like 00138. Where you KNOW it’s not an 8th printing of cover C. Hence “99.8% of the time”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knowing how to “read” the bar codes is extremely helpful for sorting books from series that get restarted all the time. Looking through a stack of random Punisher issues and not knowing which are volume 5 and which are volume 6... does this issue 7 go with this issue 4 or not? Etc. You can group all your title 08021s together and know they are volume 10. Group all you 08413s together and know they’re volume 11. All without opening a bunch of books to check indicia. First 12 digits is 7 59606 07619 2? That’s a marvel title (“59606” means Marvel), in this case Punisher Volume 9 (“07619” is the title code). 
 

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a collection with a hodgepodge of Amazing Spider-Man, Punisher, Captain Marvel, and Avengers. And my first triage isn’t even to look at issue numbers. I just stare at barcodes and shuffle them that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5