• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Image Newsstand Thread
5 5

272 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

I think the easiest way to tell if it’s a newsstand is the UPC barcode that would appear on the front cover of that particular issue. Lol. Now almost all books have barcodes. I have various methods for spotting them but a sure fire way and please correct me if I’m wrong but Newsstands will have a separate 2 digit number at the end and directs will have 5 at the end. In newsstands that signifies the month. In direct it’s generally issue number, printing number and cover. 

I stand corrected happier.

Now I want to have both .

i just like reading threads like this to be better informed.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:10 PM, Corona smith said:

I think the easiest way to tell if it’s a newsstand is the UPC barcode that would appear on the front cover of that particular issue. Lol. Now almost all books have barcodes. I have various methods for spotting them but a sure fire way and please correct me if I’m wrong but Newsstands will have a separate 2 digit number at the end and directs will have 5 at the end. In newsstands that signifies the month. In direct it’s generally issue number, printing number and cover. 

In newsstands, it (usually) signifies the issue printed during that calendar (going by cover date) year.

For example:

s-l1600.jpg

This was the 15th (and last) issue of Amazing Spiderman with a 1988 cover date.

This *usually* corresponds with the month, because most comics are printed monthly, but not always.

14 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

I’d imagine someone at image comics would know. I’m going to send them an email and see what info they can provide. 

I would be very surprised if that were the case. Whenever the last newsstand was, it was well over a decade ago. The people who are still around from then would not likely have been in a position to know.

I guess we could just figure out which year is the last newsstands and then figure out which series were published during that time

11 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I’d imagine someone at image comics would know. I’m going to send them an email and see what info they can provide. 

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would be very surprised if that were the case. Whenever the last newsstand was, it was well over a decade ago. The people who are still around from then would not likely have been in a position to know.

15 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Wow, I love that do you have any 9.8?

I expect most to be around VF-VF/NM. I don’t have them in hand yet. I do have a CyberForce #1 (LS) CGC 9.6 but it’s something I got before I got into newsstands so it’s a direct. I’ve been looking for a #25 newsstand for awhile and it’s included in this set. It has a preview of the Darkness which predates and other Darkness books. I’m going to have to go through my longboxes and see what else I have. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 1/24/2020 at 9:29 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

As I understand it, the last year for newsstands at Image was 2003.

Spawn #137 is the final Spawn newsstand - June 2003 Previews numbering, but not in stores until August 2004