• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Detergent Has Anyone Seen This Version?
4 4

125 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2019 at 4:25 PM, GACollectibles said:

The plan is to send it in to CGC, the initial feedback is that it will be processed as a regular copy with a sticker.

The book was returned as CGC indicated it would be.  I still feel that based on the conditions it was found that the possibility of it being a valid version can not be 100% discounted. 

20063.jpg

184.PNG.5b7bb02fe37b7bbf85fbf27639e056e9.PNG

On 9/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

There's only one way to find out of course, but I'm reasonably confident that they'd grade it as a regular copy with a big yellow post production sticker on it. 

:shy:

On 9/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Yes. The position of the sticker is important - it is covering the barcode, making it impossible to scan on 1978 bar code scanners, therefore free.

Just a followup on sticker location, I stumbled across an image of another copy from mycomicshop where the barcode is exposed enough it appears it could possibly be scanned.  It appears that sticker location may not have been consistent.

asm184.jpg.a00fe3463c18b8e8d13b087426514852.jpg

Here's a slabbed one... sticker is translucent and over the barcode. It's also off a little … if I were to guess, I'd say they may have been jobbed out somewhere that they were squeezed in to production as needed.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN8066 (2).JPG

On 11/9/2019 at 6:43 AM, GACollectibles said:

The book was returned as CGC indicated it would be.  I still feel that based on the conditions it was found that the possibility of it being a valid version can not be 100% discounted. 

20063.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 6:32 AM, jimjum12 said:

Here's a slabbed one... sticker is translucent and over the barcode. It's also off a little … if I were to guess, I'd say they may have been jobbed out somewhere that they were squeezed in to production as needed.GOD BLESS....

DSCN8066 (2).JPG

I thought all the copies had no price and the titles numbering below the month removed? I have never seen a copy with a sticker that had a price on it. Did they run out of copies at some point?

Jimjum, is CGC giving it a hit on condition because of the sticker? If so, that’s wrong because the sticker was a part of the book at that point and not just some random sticker someone placed on a comic...

13 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I thought all the copies had no price and the titles numbering below the month removed? I have never seen a copy with a sticker that had a price on it. Did they run out of copies at some point?

That is what was being discussed in this thread, we aren't sure what circumstances led it to have the sticker attached. 

We have established

1) a priced copy exists with a sticker
2) the sticker does not always cover the bar code

Time may or may not add any other information to what we know!

1 hour ago, GACollectibles said:

That is what was being discussed in this thread, we aren't sure what circumstances led it to have the sticker attached. 

We have established

1) a priced copy exists with a sticker
2) the sticker does not always cover the bar code

Time may or may not add any other information to what we know!

How secure was the sticker? Does it look like it could have been peeled off without damaging the comic it was on along with the adhesive it was put on with?

The sticker is firmly attached, no evidence the the edge were even the slightest bit peeling up or compromised like it had bee reused. The comic has wear around the sticker but does not appear to have wear under the sticker consistent with the rest of the book, which leads me to believe the book was stickered 40 years ago, not recently.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, GACollectibles said:

Here is a pic of inside cover.  Book is not a high grade copy, probably a VG.

IMG_8063.jpg

Edited by GACollectibles

7 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Does it look like it could have been peeled off without damaging the comic it was on along with the adhesive it was put on with?

That would be speculation, to me the sticker does not show any wear or marks that would indicate it had been removed and reattached.

1 minute ago, GACollectibles said:

That would be speculation, to me the sticker does not show any wear or marks that would indicate it had been removed and reattached.

I’m not sure you could (without some damage) remove the sticker and I’m doubting someone would go to all that trouble anyway so I’d think more likely it’s legit...

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

Jimjum, is CGC giving it a hit on condition because of the sticker? If so, that’s wrong because the sticker was a part of the book at that point and not just some random sticker someone placed on a comic...

This is a book that has a lot of crumples and light bends.... it's a very solid 3.5 as is, and a press might not be wise with the sticker involved. GOD BLESS....

On 3/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, N e r V said:

I’m not sure you could (without some damage) remove the sticker and I’m doubting someone would go to all that trouble anyway so I’d think more likely it’s legit...

The possibility of a rogue store employee having an extra sticker then sticking it on a priced copy was suggested. Maybe they were hoping someone would buy an extra container of laundry detergent? This assumes stores had to manually place the stickers on themselves? 

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The possibility of a rogue store employee having an extra sticker then sticking it on a priced copy was suggested. Maybe they were hoping someone would buy an extra container of laundry detergent? This assumes stores had to manually place the stickers on themselves? 

Well anything is possible although you could just as easily argue that rogue space aliens did it as well...:nyah:

17 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Well anything is possible although you could just as easily argue that rogue space aliens did it as well...:nyah:

Is there a story behind you signature line lol ?

Just got finished looking through my comic collection after a 30 Year hiatus from doing much of anything with it and it seems I have one of these. Pretty beat up but I guess you guys are saying it's very rare. Looking to get some of my more valuable books graded and encased by CBC. Should this one be at the top of my list even though it's in not so great shape?

20200615_194008.jpg

14 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Just got finished looking through my comic collection after a 30 Year hiatus from doing much of anything with it and it seems I have one of these. Pretty beat up but I guess you guys are saying it's very rare. Looking to get some of my more valuable books graded and encased by CBC. Should this one be at the top of my list even though it's in not so great shape?

20200615_194008.jpg

Do you remember where you picked this copy up?

Probably not many graded copies with a sticker out there.  Hard to put a price on as not many out there.  If you have the extra cash, sure get it graded.

8 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Do you remember where you picked this copy up?

Probably not many graded copies with a sticker out there.  Hard to put a price on as not many out there.  If you have the extra cash, sure get it graded.

I've had this book since I was a kid. Probably picked it up at a flea market or neighbors yard sale somewhere around Stow MA. Before I started collecting. I think I inquired about it at my local comic store once when I started collecting but nobody seemed to know or show much interest so I just stuck it in a bag and box with the rest of my beloved and often read and beat up comics till I was digging around recently and found it again. 

3 hours ago, Morganmi said:

I've had this book since I was a kid. Probably picked it up at a flea market or neighbors yard sale somewhere around Stow MA. Before I started collecting. I think I inquired about it at my local comic store once when I started collecting but nobody seemed to know or show much interest so I just stuck it in a bag and box with the rest of my beloved and often read and beat up comics till I was digging around recently and found it again. 

Yes, Kind of knew you were in the NorthEast (well at least were), as when I tracked this book religiously, this was the region I saw the most copies from.  I picked up my stickered copy in New London, CT.

9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, Kind of knew you were in the NorthEast (well at least were), as when I tracked this book religiously, this was the region I saw the most copies from.  I picked up my stickered copy in New London, CT.

Yup back in the Northeast again now. This time on Cape Cod. 

Saw the post with your map with all the places where one had been found. Do you know or have a guess as to how many of these have been discovered to date?