• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Detergent Has Anyone Seen This Version?
4 4

125 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, Coolman104 said:

I have a "no price" copy with the sticker.  Will CGC grade it or will the sticker cause an issue?  Some have sold for a high price.  Does anyone know what they would charge me.

They should grade it like this one shown above(Label notes: Sticker attached to cover" "No Price" Variant).  CGC price depends on what tier you use, cheapest is Modern.

DSCN8066 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Morganmi said:

Yup back in the Northeast again now. This time on Cape Cod. 

Saw the post with your map with all the places where one had been found. Do you know or have a guess as to how many of these have been discovered to date?

When I was tracking years ago, I would have said 5 to 10.  Today, probably in the range of 10 to 20 with the sticker still attached.

7 hours ago, justafan said:

Add another one to your tracking list. I just picked this one from a collection.  The OO said he bought it along with most of his comics back when he was going to school in Indiana.  Some of the books still had a sticker from the store that was there at the time called New Concept in Lafayette, IN.  After reading through this thread I see that this would align with your map pin in Indiana.  Amazingly this one still has the yellow sticker attached and with no signs of being removed.  I am considering having it graded but wondering if having it professionally pressed would be safe to do if they can do so without causing damage to the sticker.  Does CGC take points off the grade for the presence of the sticker?  So far I've only seen 1 graded copy with the sticker which is the 3.5 in this thread but it also appears to have cover detachment issues. Don't get me wrong, I won't even considering trying to have the sticker removed.  Graded or not I love my copy and will probably be buried with it.  Been looking for an affordable one since I found out about it 7 years ago!:cloud9:

1084810587_ASM184npvclose.thumb.jpg.077b22f5470e0ef6344993948ffc8c22.jpg1848855507_ASM184npvinsideFC.thumb.jpg.cb2429ab99e446dffc4ab405e91b62bc.jpg

Wow that one looks like it's  in super nice shape. Congrats!  I also wonder the effect that pressing would have on the sticker but unfortunatly don't know the answer to that question either. 

8 hours ago, justafan said:

Add another one to your tracking list. I just picked this one from a collection.  The OO said he bought it along with most of his comics back when he was going to school in Indiana.  Some of the books still had a sticker from the store that was there at the time called New Concept in Lafayette, IN.  After reading through this thread I see that this would align with your map pin in Indiana.  Amazingly this one still has the yellow sticker attached and with no signs of being removed.  I am considering having it graded but wondering if having it professionally pressed would be safe to do if they can do so without causing damage to the sticker.  Does CGC take points off the grade for the presence of the sticker?  So far I've only seen 1 graded copy with the sticker which is the 3.5 in this thread but it also appears to have cover detachment issues. Don't get me wrong, I won't even considering trying to have the sticker removed.  Graded or not I love my copy and will probably be buried with it.  Been looking for an affordable one since I found out about it 7 years ago!:cloud9:

Lafayette, IN would be in the that Midwestern region from my chart and another data point supporting my assumption that this was a regionally distributed book, much like the 30 and 35 cent Marvel variants.

Your copy was much nicer than mine.  I dug my copy out of a box in a comic book store in New London, Connecticut.  I went into that store armed with the knowledge from my chart, looking only for that book, as my wife and kids waited impatiently in the car on a cold and icy winter's day.    I pulled it out of the ASM box and was pleasantly supplied to see the sticker still attached.

2 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Wow that one looks like it's  in super nice shape. Congrats!  I also wonder the effect that pressing would have on the sticker but unfortunatly don't know the answer to that question either. 

@joeypost what would you do with this one? Have you ever worked on one of these or comics with stickers on the cover in general? Do you just use a tacking iron for the rest of the book or do you have a method of doing a full humidity/heat press without affecting the sticker area?  I'm imagining you with a custom pressing machine lid with a portion cut out to allow for just these such stickers or signature inks. LOL!  Or does the heat/press not have an effect on the sticker and cover integrity? Just looking to see if it's worth risking having it pressed or not.

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Lafayette, IN would be in the that Midwestern region from my chart and another data point supporting my assumption that this was a regionally distributed book, much like the 30 and 35 cent Marvel variants.

Your copy was much nicer than mine.  I dug my copy out of a box in a comic book store in New London, Connecticut.  I went into that store armed with the knowledge from my chart, looking only for that book, as my wife and kids waited impatiently in the car on a cold and icy winter's day.    I pulled it out of the ASM box and was pleasantly supplied to see the sticker still attached.

Thank you.  I was pretty surprised it survived that long in an old comic bag with no backboard. I was leaning towards the same conclusion; these must have followed similar test markets as the price variants. 

Just curious but with all the different data points in the New England area on your map was there a reason you focused on the New London, CT store?  Did you have additional information about that store that it was more likely to have a copy than others? I am surprised so few have surfaced but of those that have most don't have the sticker.  I guess most kids just removed it early on.  I see the yellow is more common but are there other colors as well?  I see a white one but could it just have been faded.  For some reason in my notes I have a green sticker listed as one of the versions but perhaps I'm mistaken.

59 minutes ago, justafan said:

Thank you.  I was pretty surprised it survived that long in an old comic bag with no backboard. I was leaning towards the same conclusion; these must have followed similar test markets as the price variants. 

Just curious but with all the different data points in the New England area on your map was there a reason you focused on the New London, CT store?  Did you have additional information about that store that it was more likely to have a copy than others? I am surprised so few have surfaced but of those that have most don't have the sticker.  I guess most kids just removed it early on.  I see the yellow is more common but are there other colors as well?  I see a white one but could it just have been faded.  For some reason in my notes I have a green sticker listed as one of the versions but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I bought many copies (stickerless) off ebay from the North East and was actually living in upstate New York at the time I was tracking this book.  We had lost power and went to CT to stay with my Sister-In-Law.  As I had been stationed in New London while serving in the US Navy, I knew the store well.

I know of only Yellow stickers.  The white ones I have seen were due to fading.

The green sticker comes from an old article (and I forget the author) who first discussed these.  I actually contacted him with the same question and he told me it was yellowish-greenish sticker, which I always took as it was yellow, lol.  He lived in Indiana and I actually think that is when I started my tracking chart. 

Edited by Spider-Variant

This thread inspired me to track down some of my old info on the ASM 184 All Detergent Variant.  I tried to dig up my old posts over at the STL Variant Mafia, but alas, this was as far as the Wayback machine could get me.

image.thumb.png.d6aa2642b5787e8d5ee006afa7d171d2.png

Last post on the topic 13 years ago, damn it's been awhile.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:27 PM, Spider-Variant said:

This thread inspired me to track down some of my old info on the ASM 184 All Detergent Variant.  I tried to dig up my old posts over at the STL Variant Mafia, but alas, this was as far as the Wayback machine could get me.

image.thumb.png.d6aa2642b5787e8d5ee006afa7d171d2.png

Last post on the topic 13 years ago, damn it's been awhile.

Someone got lucky last month....

17_02_21.thumb.PNG.b79fa70bb419fdab410aafebd994cad4.PNG

43 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

Wow that looks pretty nice. What a steal. I think auctions can be risky on these as maybe not a lot people know about them.

Probably a BIN. 

43 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, too low for sure.  I traded my stickered copy for something that was valued at about $2000.

But I see my old copy graded out at CGC 8.0 White Pages, so maybe I didn't get enough for it. hm

Probably not in this market. I see there is a 4.0 up there  for $750 now.

5 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Probably not in this market. I see there is a 4.0 up there  for $750 now.

Got a link? I don't see it - just a handful of non-stickered copies in excess of $750 and which always command much less than their stickered cousins. 

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Got a link? I don't see it - just a handful of non-stickered copies in excess of $750 and which always command much less than their stickered cousins. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spiderman-184-All-Detergent-No-Price-Variant-RARE-CGC-4-0/373480505862?hash=item56f52c4206:g:MzYAAOSwt-ZgPUde

Here ya go. Notice the "free" has been inked out on the sticker. I wonder if that affected the grade as it looks nicer than a 4.0 to me.

2 hours ago, Morganmi said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spiderman-184-All-Detergent-No-Price-Variant-RARE-CGC-4-0/373480505862?hash=item56f52c4206:g:MzYAAOSwt-ZgPUde

Here ya go. Notice the "free" has been inked out on the sticker. I wonder if that affected the grade as it looks nicer than a 4.0 to me.

Cheers - I recognise that copy - it's been doing the rounds for a while. The seller has a 'does not ship to the UK' on the listing so I assume that's why it doesn't show in my results. eBay's like that. Interesting to see how a spoiled sticker seems to push the book into the desirability category of a no sticker at all copy. I think that would have put me off too, if I were still in the market for one.  

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers - I recognise that copy - it's been doing the rounds for a while. The seller has a 'does not ship to the UK' on the listing so I assume that's why it doesn't show in my results. eBay's like that. Interesting to see how a spoiled sticker seems to push the book into the desirability category of a no sticker at all copy. I think that would have put me off too, if I were still in the market for one.  

Yea I wonder what the story behind the crossing out of free is. My guess is someone sold it again at a yard sale or something and didn't want free written on it. hm

8 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

Yea I wonder what the story behind the crossing out of free is. My guess is someone sold it again at a yard sale or something and didn't want free written on it. hm

Whatever it was, that was one costly action....