• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

'Madame Web': Sony's 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off Lands 'Star Trek 4' Director S.J. Clarkson (2020)

If this turns out to be accurate, she has an interesting background as a director. She has directed episodes for:

• Jessica Jones
  • The Defenders
  • Orange Is The New Black
  • TURN: Washington's Spies
  • Banshee
  • Dexter
  • House
  • Heroes

An interesting mix of productions.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

'Madame Web': Sony's 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off Lands 'Star Trek 4' Director S.J. Clarkson (2020)

If this turns out to be accurate, she has an interesting background as a director. She has directed episodes for:

• Jessica Jones
  • The Defenders
  • Orange Is The New Black
  • TURN: Washington's Spies
  • Banshee
  • Dexter
  • House
  • Heroes

An interesting mix of productions.

Banshee was a GREAT show so maybe this show out of a less than nothing character could be decent.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, Buzzetta said:

When Sony announces that they are developing a Big Wheel or Stegron movie we will know that the Apocalypse is truly upon us. 

I want to just put it out there that in the almost 2.5 years that have passed since I have written this comment, that Big Wheel was added to one of the mobile games I play each day during my commute.

Apparently there IS plans for EVERYONE in the Marvel Universe. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

Apparently there IS plans for EVERYONE in the Marvel Universe. 

It's mandated in a massive, connected Cinemaverse. Including teasing such later films across 2-3 previous productions.

:sumo:

EXCLUSIVE: Following the massive success of Spider-man: No Way Home, Sony is looking to to expand on its Universe of Marvel Characters as sources tell Deadline that Dakota Johnson is in talks to star in the studio’s Madame Web movie. S.J. Clarkson is on board to direct the pic.Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. penned the screenplay.

In the comics, Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains. For that reason, sources have stressed it’s possible the project could turn into something else.

Dakota Johnson is in talks to play the title character in Madame Web, the Sony spinoff centered on the Spider-Man character. S.J. Clarkson is set to direct the feature, which is part of Sony’s growing stable of films based on Marvel characters.

Introduced in 1980’s The Amazing Spider-Man No. 210, Madame Web is a clairvoyant mutant who specializes in predicting the future of Spider-themed superheroes, having mentored not only Peter Parker’s alter ego, but also multiple generations of heroes calling themselves Spider-Woman. Traditionally depicted as a blind, paralyzed old woman, she is surrounded by a web-like machine necessary to keep her alive, meaning that she stays away from direct conflict, and rather sends others on missions.

Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, who are behind fellow Spider-Man spin-off Morbius, penned the -script.

Madame Web marks the biggest studio feature in years for Johnson, who broke out in the Fifty Shades of Grey franchise and has since focused on smaller and independent fare. Recently, Johnson was at the Sundance Film Festival with two features — Am I Ok? and Cha Cha Real Smooth — both of which she also produced under her TeaTime banner.

Madame Web is one of a number in development as the studio builds out its Sony Universe of Marvel Characters. Sony, which controls the film rights to Spider-Man and other related characters, has already released Venom (2018) and Venom Let There Be Carnage (2020) and has the Jared Leto movie Morbius due out in April. Sony also has Kraven the Hunter in the works with star Aaron Taylor-Johnson

On 2/3/2022 at 2:27 PM, RickSp said:

Prove me wrong Sony but I don’t really get the desire to make a movie for this character…

I never saw the character as having a standalone story that would stick.

I'm hoping they can keep the Spider-Verse momentum going here.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:27 AM, RickSp said:

Prove me wrong Sony but I don’t really get the desire to make a movie for this character…

Nobody cares Sony. This is a character that has never even had her own comic mini series or even a stand alone special. #fail

On 2/4/2022 at 8:54 PM, Lpgk said:

Nobody cares Sony. This is a character that has never even had her own comic mini series or even a stand alone special. #fail

On 2/5/2022 at 2:21 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Did Sony learn nothing with Amazing Spiderman 2 and all the ridiculous spinoffs they were talking about then?

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Even with removing the MCU-Sony modern films the three Spider-Verse has rolled out have been quite successful. To include a Oscar-winner that beat two top Disney Pixas films (“Incredibles 2” and “Ralph Breaks the Internet”).

Spider_Verse_Sony220205.thumb.PNG.c1466f0f61c8361657bf34d4c23817b9.PNG

I think at this point Sony execs want to avoid the franchise sins of the past.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

This would explain why there is a recent spike in ASM 30 (whatever volume after volume 1) that introduced Morlun and Ezekiel. 

I really liked the Morlun storyline at the time, never been back to re read it yet but if that’s an idea being floated about then get Garfield back in and do it proper!

On 2/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, spideyfan68 said:

Did Sony learn nothing with Amazing Spiderman 2 and all the ridiculous spinoffs they were talking about then?

Sony, I'm still waiting for that Nightwatch movie. Not. LOL

So if this is Julia Carpenter (Spider-Woman II) Madame Web they could link this back to her earlier adventures.

FKuZGhaXEAQEHBe.thumb.jpeg.9cfbcfe05938175bc793a8819114b202.jpeg

That could also tie into the Spider-Women animated movie that has been rumored for a few years.

Weird choice. I’ve never read a comic with Madame Web in it.

My only exposure to her was in that early text-based video game: Questprobe: Spider-Man. It was a couple of floppy disks on an Apple 2.

Still, went in to read a few hundred Spidey issues in the 90s/2000s & never encountered her.

Since this is dominantly a comic book forum...

...there is no reason why this book should be selling for more than $1K and being listed for a buy now at +$2K in CGC 9.8.  Not a popular character, Dakota Johnson (while I have nothing against her) isn't the best casting ever, and this might not even be the correct Madame Web.

My guess is that this book will start dropping quick from the initial overreaction and Secret Wars #6 will start ticking up.

***Secret Wars #6 is the first appearance of Julia Carpenter

clean.jpg.3b6bd03d5ff2a71ee328820926e9781d.jpg