• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

Madame Web, the next Marvel hero from Sony Pictures' Spider-Man Universe of characters, has joined the list of verified accounts on social media. Sony has not only found success with Spider-Man, but also with the heroes and villains that exist in his trajectory. So far we've had two movies featuring Venom, Morbius is set to premiere next week, and Kraven the Hunter also in the works. The Spider-Man Universe will continue to expand with Dakota Johnson portraying Madame Web in her own solo film. If you were hesitant that a Madame Web project actually exists, then perhaps the presence of social media accounts can persuade you.

Official Twitter and Instagram accounts for Madame Web have been spotted across the interwebs. Neither account has shared anything on their timeline, but they each display a blue checkmark by their names to confirm their validity. 

Given the momentum of her career, Sweeney gets to pick from the roles offered to her. How does she choose? “I like to try and find characters that are challenging for me in multiple different ways, and are completely different from one another. I want to continue to shock people with the characters that I play when they don’t expect that I would choose that next.”

One of the roles she has lined up is in “Madame Web,” a comic-book tentpole set in Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters. Is she reading the comic books the movie is based on? “I am. I’ve been ordering a bunch of comic books,” she says. “There’s a lot to learn. I’ve always been a really big fan of all of the Marvel and Sony Universe movies. I’ve grown up watching them all and I’ve been engulfed in the entire world my entire life, so being able to be a part of that is such an incredible, incredible thing.”

On 9/27/2019 at 6:29 AM, Buzzetta said:

When Sony announces that they are developing a Big Wheel or Stegron movie we will know that the Apocalypse is truly upon us. 

I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for a Paste Pot Pete series or, even better, movie!

"“I’ve always been a really big fan of all of the Marvel and Sony Universe movies..." translates to I have not seen any superhero movie but the idea in staring in one seemed to be a good career move. 

I am excited if a actor/actress says something like when I heard that this director ... decided to direct this film and when he/she showed me the -script and bunch of concept photos I was like yeah this is going to be great.

Edited by godzilla43
typos

Another "Zero Interest" movie for me.  I want to see Spider-Man.  Don't care about any villain or minor character spin-off flick.  

I didn't even bother watching the Venom movies.  He's the most fleshed out character of all the Spidey villains (has had his own series and everything).  Why would I watch Morbius or Madame Web or any of the others?  

Agree with the comment about throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks.  

On 4/4/2022 at 6:55 AM, chrisco37 said:

Another "Zero Interest" movie for me.  I want to see Spider-Man.  Don't care about any villain or minor character spin-off flick.  

I didn't even bother watching the Venom movies.  He's the most fleshed out character of all the Spidey villains (has had his own series and everything).  Why would I watch Morbius or Madame Web or any of the others?  

Agree with the comment about throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks.  

Some would say this unknown fellow topped them all. Some.

ASM129.thumb.jpg.90c9918b74cf12b9adb68683b5163f8e.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, PovertyRow said:

I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for a Paste Pot Pete series or, even better, movie!

You joke, but this is honestly something I would love. Give us an anthology series that follows some really bad, D list villains as they try to pull off the most mundane crimes before being embarrassed from either messing it up or being stopped by some other D list hero (and they can just recount their tales at the local crime bar over drinks after). It would make for a great comedy series that could introduce characters we would/should never have seen on screen :D 

The perfect name for this already exists in Marvel....GIVE US A LEGION OF LOSERS SHOW!!!

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Give us an anthology series that follows some really bad, D list villains as they try to pull off the most mundane crimes before being embarrassed from either messing it up or being stopped by some other D list hero (and they can just recount their tales at the local crime bar over drinks after). 

You know, I think I would really enjoy such a series!

Will they tie in Jessica Jones?

In Alias there was the Mattie Franklin (Spider-Woman) arc with - Madame Web.

They have said that Jessica Jones will be back - nice easy cross-over from Sony to MCU right here.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, Sauce Dog said:

You joke, but this is honestly something I would love. Give us an anthology series that follows some really bad, D list villains as they try to pull off the most mundane crimes before being embarrassed from either messing it up or being stopped by some other D list hero (and they can just recount their tales at the local crime bar over drinks after). It would make for a great comedy series that could introduce characters we would/should never have seen on screen :D 

The perfect name for this already exists in Marvel....GIVE US A LEGION OF LOSERS SHOW!!!

Just seeing this post... DC's "Rogues" (Black Label miniseries) is actually this exactly, using some of the old Flash villains. The first scene even takes place in the "local crime bar"...!

Ghostbusters: Afterlife actress Celeste O’Connor has signed on the join the cast of Sony‘s Madame Web film. Based on the Marvel comics by writer Denny O’Neil and artist John Romita Jr., Madame Web already stars Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey, Bad Times at the El Royale) and Sidney Sweeney (Euphoria, Night Teeth). Sony is keeping O’Connor’s role under wraps for the time being.

Madame Web will revolve around Cassandra Webb, a character traditionally depicted as an elderly blind woman suffering from a chronic neuromuscular disease that hinders her moment and respiratory functions. As a byproduct of her condition, Madame Web remains connected to a life support system that looks very much like a spider’s web. Not without powers of her own, Cassandra is clairvoyant and imbued with precognitive abilities that allow her to see other’s paths along with the “web of life.” The Madame Web character first appeared in the pages of The Amazing Spider-Man #210, which Marvel Comics published in November of 1980.

Johnson will play Cassandra Webb, while fans are convinced Sweeney will star as Felicia Hardy, a.k.a. Black Cat. Sweeney’s role has yet to be confirmed.