• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 5:00 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So is this going to be an all female cast?  Not a negative comment...I'm actually curious since I have no idea what this movie is about.

***Now just waiting what characters they'll play

So far it is looking that way. Here is more details from Deadline.

Celeste O’Connor (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) has signed on to star alongside Dakota Johnson and Sydney Sweeney in S.J. Clarkson’s Sony film Madame Web, based on the Marvel comics by writer Denny O’Neil and artist John Romita Jr.

Madame Web is the next entry and first female character to be developed within the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel characters. The film will be an origin story of the clairvoyant, whose psychic abilities allow her to see within the spider world. Details with regard to the character O’Connor will be playing have not been disclosed.

Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless wrote the film, with Kerem Sanga having penned an earlier draft. It’s set for release in theaters on July 7, 2023—on the heels of J.C. Chandor’s Kraven the Hunter, starring Aaron Taylor Johnson, which is slated for release on January 13.

Isabela Merced is set to join Sony's Madame Web along with Dakota Johnson. Deadline reports that the actress will be playing an unknown role alongside Dakota Johnson and Celese O'Connor. Sydney Sweeney is also slated to play a mystery part in the Marvel project as well. Sony is keeping their cards close to the vest with this one and Kraven the Hunter. With the success of Spider-Man: No Way Home still ringing in everyone's minds, it makes sense to try and capitalize on the Spider-Fever. Tom Holland's big dance with the multiverse has opened the doors wide for all those crossover plans Sony has had on tap since the moment they resigned the deal with Disney for more Marvel content. However, it's still going to be a year until anything else drops. Kraven the Hunter was filming recently and Madame Web should get going shortly. It's all coming together for the studio.

In a conversation with Deadline, Sony Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman revealed when the movie would begin filming. Over at the company, it's full-steam ahead in crafting their Spider-Verse in live-action.

"Then there are movies I would call adjunct to the Spider-Man universe," Rothman said when asked about the Marvel plans for Sony's extended universe. "That's Kraven, which we're shooting now, and Madame Web, which we'll start in the spring with S.J. Clarkson directing. And then there are many Marvel characters that are standalone."

On 6/18/2022 at 3:33 PM, Larryw7 said:

I thought Madame Web looked like Aunt May.

You missed the earlier discussions in this tiny thread about the later interpretation which was a younger version.

The assumption is that is the story influence.

Emma Roberts has been cast in “Madame Web,” the latest movie set in Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters.

The actor is joining a star-studded ensemble, which includes Dakota Johnson as the title hero and “Euphoria” breakout Sydney Sweeney in an undisclosed role. As previously announced, Celeste O’Connor (“Ghostbusters: Afterlife”), Isabela Merced (“Dora and the Lost City of Gold”) and Tahar Rahim (“The Mauritanian”) are rounding out the call sheet.

“Madame Web” serves as an origin story for the comic book character, a clairvoyant whose psychic abilities allow her to see within the spider world itself. In the comics, her abilities prove to be greatly beneficial to Spider-Man and his fellow arachnid allies but given her condition she’s never battled villains herself.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

That book is already way over priced.  This isn't going to make it more overpriced.  Now it really is looking like an all female cast.

***Plus I think everybody knew she was heading to the big screen

‘Madame Web’ Set Video May Confirm Dakota Johnson as Julia Carpenter

Carpenter-Madame-Web-800x400.jpg.469f440d66179ff9ff81aa658aa8f5f7.jpg

Filming for Sony’s latest Marvel project, Madame Web, is currently underway in Boston, and a new video from the set may have finally confirmed who Dakota Johnson is playing. The film’s titular character is traditionally portrayed as an elderly woman confined to a magically extravagant chair, so the casting of Johnson as the lead has perplexed fans since the news of her involvement broke in February. Rumors have circulated for months that the former 50 Shades of Grey star might be playing a different iteration of Madame Web than longtime Spider-Man readers are accustomed to seeing, and the latest footage from the set has likely confirmed this to be the case.

The outfit worn by Johnson in the video is clearly a match for the character Julia Carpenter, who has a long history in Marvel comics. Carpenter was introduced in 1984’s famous Secret Wars story as the second Spider-Woman, after Jessica Drew, having obtained spider-like abilities from a secret government experiment. The heroine would appear on-and-off in Spider-Man comics for the next handful of decades, until she made the transition from Spider-Woman to Madame Web in 2010. She gained the latter’s clairvoyant powers as the original Madame Web perished, and chose Carpenter as her successor.

Madame_Web01.PNG.94a9fd72b76c3bd25f068620dc25cd56.PNG

so strange how I feel as of late about the MCU overall ... just "meh" which is a result of everything I saw in phase 4 ( which was given a violent shove in the "meh" direction after Thor Love and Thunder).

While I have hopes for this show, it isn't really grabbing me as I can already see the likely formula: it will be similar to the Birds of Prey TV show from 20 years ago that starred Dina Meyer where the Madam Web character is akin to Barbara Gordon's Oracle who will use her gifts finding the things to do and the team goes out and tackles it.

meh

I am curious to see how this plays out for Sony. If it generates a box office close to Venom 2 the I would consider it a huge success, and it would likely lead to spin-off solo films for some of the characters. If it tanks, I guess they tried and learned the same thing that Marvel is during Phase 4 and 5 - noone really cares about the B and C list heroes.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:30 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Since this is dominantly a comic book forum...

...there is no reason why this book should be selling for more than $1K and being listed for a buy now at +$2K in CGC 9.8.  Not a popular character, Dakota Johnson (while I have nothing against her) isn't the best casting ever, and this might not even be the correct Madame Web.

My guess is that this book will start dropping quick from the initial overreaction and Secret Wars #6 will start ticking up.

***Secret Wars #6 is the first appearance of Julia Carpenter

clean.jpg.3b6bd03d5ff2a71ee328820926e9781d.jpg

Eh hem...I'm going to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back.

***Since nobody else will LOL