• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a Pedigree? Obscure markings? Ask the "Experts"
5 5

97 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Pennsylvania Pedigree?

headlinecomics14.thumb.jpg.e3c380873ebf8fb3cb7efacef559b480.jpg

Sorry, but I would say no. That “P” just doesn’t look quite right. Plus the condition doesn’t seem quite as nice as I usually see. I’m open to be proven right though. 

No matter what, great book. Love that cover. Just so wacky!

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sorry, but I would say no. That “P” just doesn’t look quite right. Plus the condition doesn’t seem quite as nice as I usually see. I’m open to be proven right though. 

No matter what, great book. Love that cover. Just so wacky!

I'm pretty sure it's nothing of importance but thought, "what the heck, you never know?"

If you thought the cover was wacky, the story is even more "out there".

image.thumb.png.8018af60bddff2d5b437a0b407a53d10.png

On 9/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, adamstrange said:

There are some books with a grease pencil 'S' but not part of any recognized pedigree.  Whether this book is from the same source as those others which are from the early 40s is very difficult to tell.

I've seen that S as well on other books. But I remember being told that was a known designation retailers used as a shorthand. I forgot what it was though.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:
On 9/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, adamstrange said:

There are some books with a grease pencil 'S' but not part of any recognized pedigree.  Whether this book is from the same source as those others which are from the early 40s is very difficult to tell.

I've seen that S as well on other books. But I remember being told that was a known designation retailers used as a shorthand. I forgot what it was though.

As far as I know, there is a very clear distinction between the greased pencil 'S', as compared to the books with the regular small pencil 's'.  :gossip:

The former appears to be from a very early HG GA collection while the latter appears to be your standard distributor marking normally on mid-grade books.  There appears to be some speculation from some board member here that the greased pencil 'S' books might have been pedigree worthy except for the fact that they were already broken up and sold into the marketplace before the concept of pedigrees for comic books even came into play.  hm  (shrug)

It should be noted that the shape of the greased pencil 'S' appears to all have the same look and shape.  Although I would definitely love to acquire some of these books with the greased pencil 'S' identifier, the only problem is that they seem to be priced either at a huge premium or even multiples to guide when I used to see them in the distant past.  :luhv:   :takeit:

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

it is the 'frisco 'g.'

Just seeing this. Are you confident with that opinion? 

I bought it from James Payette, but it wasn't listed as such. Bought sight unseen, because i am confident in his grading. When i got it, i thought the marking was familiar from other books, but ruled it out because of the grade. Are there 'gd/vg' Frisco books? 

Edited by sagii

On 2/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, lou_fine said:

As far as I know, there is a very clear distinction between the greased pencil 'S', as compared to the books with the regular small pencil 's'.  :gossip:

The former appears to be from a very early HG GA collection while the latter appears to be your standard distributor marking normally on mid-grade books.  There appears to be some speculation from some board member here that the greased pencil 'S' books might have been pedigree worthy except for the fact that they were already broken up and sold into the marketplace before the concept of pedigrees for comic books even came into play.  hm  (shrug)

It should be noted that the shape of the greased pencil 'S' appears to all have the same look and shape.  Although I would definitely love to acquire some of these books with the greased pencil 'S' identifier, the only problem is that they seem to be priced either at a huge premium or even multiples to guide when I used to see them in the distant past.  :luhv:   :takeit:

What is I have that greased pencil "S" on a mid grade book? Here is the book I have with that kind of marking, Captain Marvel Adventures 61. Looking at the context on my book below, could the "S" be a "5" showing the new price discounted from 10 cents?

20200229_223728.jpg

I do have other questions about particular markings. Anyone, let me know if any of these are things you have encountered.

Captain marvel Adventures 39 has the name Evelyn in very nice cursive.

Captain Marvel Adventures 43 has a pencil marking at the top, it's letters but I can't decipher them.

Captain Marvel Adventures 50 has an "M". That's common right? What does it mean?

Captain Marvel Adventures 31 has the name Eugene Bard written in pencil at the top

Whiz Comics 98 has a small marking on the logo in pencil. "pul 4" or "pub +1" not sure

Captain Marvel Adventures 84 has what appears to be "J 2/27" at the top in pencil

Captain Marvel Adventures 44 has "S216" written in pencil.

Captain Marvel Jr 17 has a "B" at the top right

And this is not a marking from someone in particular but I found it fun. It's a stamp from a GreyHound Interstate station. They had "Food, Smokes, Magazines and Curios" for anyone stopping by.

20200229_223749.jpg

20200229_223752.jpg

20200229_223843.jpg

20200229_223911.jpg

20200229_223923.jpg

20200229_223932.jpg

20200229_223943.jpg

20200229_223952.jpg

20200229_224008.jpg

20200229_224015.jpg

20200229_224019.jpg

20200229_224028.jpg

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Here's another question, is the "Checking Copy ADV. Makeup DEPT." mark on GA comics part of a specific pegidree?

Item #48333335 Front Cover: Marvel Family #18 VG 4.0

Not sure since I don't have any myself and not one of the pedigrees that I would pay much of a premium for, but this could be from the Crowley pedigree:  (shrug)

http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#CROWLEY

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure since I don't have any myself and not one of the pedigrees that I would pay much of a premium for, but this could be from the Crowley pedigree:  (shrug)

http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#CROWLEY

Thanks. And funny thing, very few would pay a premium on this pedigree. The pic I posted is from a particular listing and it's a book I am very much interested in, in a very nice grade (these were file copies after all) and selling below guide. BUT, I just don't like that stamp being so dead centre. It really takes away from the beauty of the cover, which is what I like the most about this comic anyway. It selling for much less than guide (not this issue in general, just this particular copy) kinda indicates that many also feel the same.

Do you have any thoughts on the other marking I posted above?