• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History making Hitler checklist
7 7

314 posts in this topic

Was it Daredevil #1? 1940, or is there an earlier appearance. CA #1 was 1941.

Those were the first 2 that popped into my head. Just didn't know the date of DD book (no access to OS at the moment).

Was it Daredevil Battles Hitler #1? 1940, or is there an earlier appearance. CA #1 was 1941.

DD vs Hitler was July, 1941.

From West's list a few pages back I am going to take a guess that Hitler's first cover appearance would be Arrow 3. Just a guess, but it looks like the earliest on that list.

Edited by MrBedrock

Was it Daredevil Battles Hitler #1? 1940, or is there an earlier appearance. CA #1 was 1941.

From West's list a few pages back I am going to take a guess that Hitler's first cover appearance would be Arrow 3. Just a guess, but it looks like the earliest on that list.

The Arrow #3 is 10/41. Cap #1 is the earliest at 3/41

West

The Arrow #3 is 10/41. Cap #1 is the earliest at 3/41

West

Interesting, so that would place it at around Dec 1940/Jan 1941 for the final decision (or was March 1941 the cover date vs newsstand appearance?), thanks.

If anyone can identify the earliest Nazi story, please do!!!

Same for the first Japanese cover.

If anyone can identify the earliest Nazi story, please do!!!

@Mark: Old-dated question, but since our researches definitely tie-in, I can start with those two:

Corporal Collins - Untitled story ["The Coming of Corporal Collins"]

by Abner Sundell(?)/Charles Biro

from Blue Ribbon Comics #2 (cover date: Dec. 1939, estimated newsstand appearance: Sep. 1939)

John Steele - “Soldier of fortune”

from Daring Mystery Comics #1 (cover date: Jan. 1940, estimated newsstand appearance: Oct. 1939)

Now only Timely will be able to figure out if that is the earliest Timely story to feature nazists as villains or not. So he will break all his CGC cases and… ehm. :eyeroll:

Needless to say I count on you for the stories where the italian army was featured.

I knew of very little. :(

This is the only cover image I have seen of the Italian army. I'm not 100 % certain it is the Italians (could be Germans stationed in Italy), but the map is of Italy and the tag line does say the Jr. Rangers are invading Italy.

Unfortunately, the story inside involves the Jr. Rangers and some British commandos invading a coastal French town. No mention of Italy.

scan0008.jpg

This is the only cover image I have seen of the Italian army. I'm not 100 % certain it is the Italians (could be Germans stationed in Italy), but the map is of Italy and the tag line does say the Jr. Rangers are invading Italy.

Helmets look German-issue, though some Italian units might have used them.

What are the contents like? Newspaper strip reprints?

This is dated 1941. All comics, published by David "Feature Books" McKay.

Don't know if it beats Cap 1 or not...

@walclark: Thank you. :)

The only two stories featuring some italian army I have found so far are a pair of Corporal Collins stories from Blue Ribbon (1940) and a rather inconsistent story of Man'o'War from the Centaur title of the same name (if I recall correctly, it‘s issue #2).

In the Charles Biro story italians are reduced to a caricature of ineptitude, I would have expected from Biro a more in-depth approach, but I guess that if he treated the Japanese as he did in Daredevil, he had his weak spots even if he seemed to be always pretty up to date with the information and the war events in Europe.

At least, nazis are depicted often in a sinister and/or disturbing, if not realistic, way.

About the Junior Rangers: they seem to be fighting germans, but if the issue is around 1944-45, I wonder if it might be some italian division of the SS. I recall this thing of non-german divisions of the SS, but I am very ignorant in historical matters.

That’s why I am picking up through comics… :)

About the Junior Rangers: they seem to be fighting germans, but if the issue is around 1944-45, I wonder if it might be some italian division of the SS. I recall this thing of non-german divisions of the SS, but I am very ignorant in historical matters.

That’s why I am picking up through comics…

The Germans allowed or forced a number of other nationalities into their ranks, including even Russian prisoners-of-war.

From what I seem to recall, there were some which were also pretty enthustiastic to join the SS (with the Wehrmacht it hasn’t happened, I suppose). I think it’s a point worth of note.

(@adamstrange: The artist which did the comic I showed you in PM risked to be forcedly enrolled in the SS: afterwards he saw fascism for what it was, or better, implied).