• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DMZ -HBO -AVA

50 posts in this topic

Ava DuVernay Teams With HBO Max For ‘DMZ’ Pilot; DC Comic Depicts New American Civil War

https://deadline.com/2019/10/ava-duvernay-hbo-max-pilot-dmz-roberto-patino-1202749125/

If only this would have people rushing out to read this terrific series rather than dumpster diving to find #1 to flip for a couple bucks rantrant

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Ava DuVernay Teams With HBO Max For ‘DMZ’ Pilot; DC Comic Depicts New American Civil War

https://deadline.com/2019/10/ava-duvernay-hbo-max-pilot-dmz-roberto-patino-1202749125/

If only this would have people rushing out to read this terrific series rather than dumpster diving to find #1 to flip for a couple bucks rantrant

When I was doing my LCS a favor and selling off his overstock on the boards I sold off a pretty sizable run of DMZ. I kept number 1 for myself since I found myself reading the series as I was listing it.  It is actually pretty good and I hope it does well. 

Great read.

Highly recommended indeed.

Hope the show is half as good!

DAREDEVIL Actress Rosario Dawson Set To Star In Ava DuVernay's DMZ Pilot For HBO Max

Rosario Dawson (Daredevil, Sin City) has signed on to play the lead in Ava Duvernay's adaptation of DC Vertigo comic series DMZ for the HBO Max streaming service.

The fan-favorite actress will play a character named Alma, "a fierce medic who saves lives while desperately searching for her lost son. As she contends with the gangs, militias, demagogues and warlords who now control the lawless island, she becomes the unlikely source of what everyone there has lost: hope."

DuVernay, who is also working on a New Gods movie for Warner Bros., will direct the project with showrunner and Executive Producer Roberto Patino on board as writer.

“DMZ is a special project to me as it marks a key collaboration with my company Array Filmworks, the excellent team at Warner Bros TV and the dynamo Roberto Patino,” the filmmaker said in a statement last year. “We’ve all worked diligently on this material, and I’ve witnessed Roberto in action. He’s insanely talented and cares about telling stories with maximum impact and imagination. I’m eager to share this one with DC fans.”

This just won't work as a short season.

Not without losing a heck of a lot from the book - great book too btw.

I hope I'm wrong, but this just screams 'Y-the Last Man' scenario.

They want to do it, but can't without offending a heck of a lot of people.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

So they have completely written out the main character and reduced the whole series of books to a 4-parter.

Righto.

Why do people always have to be smartarses and 're-imagine' stuff that was pretty darn good in the first place

First 'Y' and now this.

:facepalm:

On 10/17/2021 at 11:18 PM, Beige said:
Spoiler

So they have completely written out the main character and reduced the whole series of books to a 4-parter.

Righto.

Why do people always have to be smartarses and 're-imagine' stuff that was pretty darn good in the first place

First 'Y' and now this.

:facepalm:

Not sure how much it is going to deviate from the source material. But here is what they shared.

‘DMZ’: Ava DuVernay & Roberto Patino Tease Upcoming HBO Max Rosario Dawson Series – DC FanDome

EPs Ava DuVernay and Robert Patino provided a first look at their DC Rosario Dawson and Benjamin Bratt apocalyptic series DMZ today at DC FanDome.

The four-part limited series which will debut on HBO Max takes place in the future where America is caught up in a Civil War.

“It’s a story about a fractured people that are coming together. We have a civil war between the Free states of America and the United States of America. It takes place eights years into that DMZ where the rule of law is basically dictated by the most powerful person at any possible time and that can change from block to block,” explains Patino.

There’s “an outsider who comes in and turns everything upside down,” teases DuVernay.

Expounding on that character, played by Dawson, Patino said “Alma was inspired by the most fascinating character in the comics and underseved, a medic named Zee.”

“I took the creative guard rails off and reinvented her,” says Patino with photos from the set and Dawson’s Zee unveiled.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

There’s “an outsider who comes in and turns everything upside down,” teases DuVernay.

Expounding on that character, played by Dawson, Patino said “Alma was inspired by the most fascinating character in the comics and underseved, a medic named Zee.”

“I took the creative guard rails off and reinvented her,” says Patino with photos from the set and Dawson’s Zee unveiled.

The 'outsider' is Zee in the show - BUT:

She was always in the DMZ - and whilst a major character - who I'm sure Dawson will play well, was only a footnote to the whole story.

The outsider is the Journalist Matty Roth - he is 100% integral to the entire story.

He isn't mentioned anywhere in the trailer!

Without Roth this isn't DMZ - it's yet another book that's been completely warped to suit some narrative (Om sure you can guess which)

On 10/18/2021 at 5:59 PM, Beige said:

The 'outsider' is Zee in the show - BUT:

She was always in the DMZ - and whilst a major character - who I'm sure Dawson will play well, was only a footnote to the whole story.

The outsider is the Journalist Matty Roth - he is 100% integral to the entire story.

He isn't mentioned anywhere in the trailer!

Without Roth this isn't DMZ - it's yet another book that's been completely warped to suit some narrative (Om sure you can guess which)

May be worth waiting for the actual trailer or two, and see where they are taking it. :foryou:

On 10/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

May be worth waiting for the actual trailer or two, and see where they are taking it. :foryou:

it's a 4 part series Bosco - Matty should be front and centre.

I admire your optimism, but this has Jupiters Legacy, Outcast, Y-The Last Man failure written all over it.

Matty Roth IS DMZ

Without that character - the book isn't being portrayed - this will be another you-know-who bashing show, shaped as a 'comic adaptation'.

It's more sadness and frustration for me Bosco - I loved 'Y' and loved 'DMZ' - it's just such a shame the originality of the stories are being diluted to suit an 'agenda'.

PS: Love the work you do on this part of the forum - I for one appreciate it (thumbsu