• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DMZ -HBO -AVA

50 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 4:33 AM, ashsaytr said:

DMZ (TV Mini Series 2022– ) - IMDb

Just saw the preview for this after Peacemaker... guess there was a thread... search function works... sometimes!  Anyways never really got into the comic... maybe this will work~

It is crazy.

Just please. No sneezing. The rubber bands holding the search app together may pop.

:ohnoez:

@Beige is dead-on.

Just watched the trailer for this.

Where the F----K is Matty?

Not only not featured in the trailer(s); he's not listed on the IMDB cast credits either.

How can they possibly have the audacity to adapt this without the literal main character?

The whole first two story arcs are his adjustment to life in the DMZ as an outsider - including his encounters with Z.

I'd be curious to see some interviews with Brian Wood to hear his thoughts...

On 3/14/2022 at 7:59 AM, Gatsby77 said:

@Beige is dead-on.

Just watched the trailer for this.

Where the F----K is Matty?

Not only not featured in the trailer(s); he's not listed on the IMDB cast credits either.

How can they possibly have the audacity to adapt this without the literal main character?

The whole first two story arcs are his adjustment to life in the DMZ as an outsider - including his encounters with Z.

I'd be curious to see some interviews with Brian Wood to hear his thoughts...

Sadly the common denominator in Matty Roth and the missing parts of Y-The Last Man is all too easy to work out.

When they said Y was being filmed in USA only I thought - well, there goes most of the whole book involving a central character and country.

It's pathetic actually.

"DMZ" is based on the comic book series of the same name by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli, though it makes some big changes right out of the gate. You won't see the comic's protagonist, Matty Roth, anywhere. Instead, we follow Alma Ortega (Rosario Dawson), who later takes on the moniker of "Zee," and is based on the medical student character from the comics. "DMZ" is set in an alternate near-future, in a timeline where the United States has fractured due to a second American Civil War.

The world-building in "DMZ" is phenomenal, and a huge part of what makes the series sing. Even the most tertiary characters are given traits to make them memorable, and they each get their own tiny arcs. Just as the series tries to teach us, everyone matters in a true democracy, from the folks at the top all the way to the city's most impoverished. 

/Film Rating: 8 out of 10

image.png.b439758a3ffa097dea78ff11f5ef5aaf.png

Woke gotta be woke I guess.

Why does a TV reviewer need to tell us all their gender orientation?

Who cares?

I don't, but it seems it that their prism of life is the only worldview acceptable to the studios nowadays - and I have no idea how such a small amount of activists get all this power over how things get said and done in everyday life.

If you wanna do a series about an American Civil war in the present day - don't cancel the main character because he's Jewish and then call it a series 'where everyone matters in a true democracy' - and call it DMZ

Same as Y The Last Man - don't cancel Alter Tse'elon , the Israeli invasion of USA after the burning down of a synagogue, and all the storylines involving Israel (of which there were whole arcs)  - and call it Y-The Last Man.

If you want to make these 'woke' shows - fine, but don't 'base them on acclaimed Graphic Novels', and then leave out everything that the very loud uber-minority have decided they want to cancel this week.

I'll take my two days off now thanks Mike.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:33 AM, Beige said:

image.png.b439758a3ffa097dea78ff11f5ef5aaf.png

Woke gotta be woke I guess.

Why does a TV reviewer need to tell us all their gender orientation?

Who cares?

I don't, but it seems it that their prism of life is the only worldview acceptable to the studios nowadays - and I have no idea how such a small amount of activists get all this power over how things get said and done in everyday life.

If you wanna do a series about an American Civil war in the present day - don't cancel the main character because he's Jewish and then call it a series 'where everyone matters in a true democracy' - and call it DMZ

Same as Y The Last Man - don't cancel Alter Tse'elon , the Israeli invasion of USA after the burning down of a synagogue, and all the storylines involving Israel (of which there were whole arcs)  - and call it Y-The Last Man.

If you want to make these 'woke' shows - fine, but don't 'base them on acclaimed Graphic Novels', and then leave out everything that the very loud uber-minority have decided they want to cancel this week.

I'll take my two days off now thanks Mike.

Did you get that out of your system, or going all Gatsby BVS?

You're not happy. I respect that. But don't let that turn ugly. There's no good that comes of this.

:cheers:

On 3/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Did you get that out of your system, or going all Gatsby BVS?

You're not happy. I respect that. But don't let that turn ugly. There's no good that comes of this.

:cheers:

Said my piece - no need to repeat it again.

(thumbsu

Have you read the books, Bosco?

Matty Roth is not only the protagonist - he also serves as the narrator and Greek chorus. The series is fundamentally told through his eyes from his point of view.

To develop the show without him seems just...insane.

It's equivalent to someone developing say...Transmetropolitan without Spider Jerusalem.

Edited by Gatsby77

I have not. But I'm sure there will be discussions to outline the differences.

But relegating those that appreciate a production because you're 'more of a fan' can come across as hardcore gatekeeping. And an easy way to troll on behalf of protecting fandom.

Finding ground where each side can share their views is what we all should strive for.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

But relegating those that appreciate a production because you're 'more of a fan' can come across as hardcore gatekeeping. And an easy way to troll on behalf of protecting fandom.

Finding ground where each side can share their views is what we all should strive for.

You have read me wrong on that score - if it's a good show - I'll happily watch.

But it's not DMZ.

I see no reason to call it that - especially as the main character has been written out.

You know what?  If they had called it DM Zee - I would not have a problem with it.

I do have an issue with stating that it is based on the Graphic Novel, when the lead Matty Roth, has been cancelled.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

I might suggest you check out at least the first graphic novel, then.

It's *really* good. Arguably better than Y: The Last Man.

But it's also not "gatekeeping" to demand even basic fidelity to the source material.

This isn't a "more of a fan" contest - this is simply being a fan AT ALL.

I'm old enough to remember nerd rage that Spider-Man's web shooters were organic - rather than mechanical - in the first film.

This isn't that - it's the equivalent of if Agents of Shield never mentioned (let alone showed) Nick Fury - as if he never existed.

Quelle suprise  - it bombed - 5.7 and dropping like a rock on IMDB - reviews are brutal.

This is what happens when you mess with the original idea.

Capture.JPG.a6b9592882a669d6fa62e8df1f816f4c.JPG