• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DMZ -HBO -AVA

50 posts in this topic

"Though it still takes place in the fictional demilitarized zone in Manhattan that was created after a second American civil war, the war-torn imagery is gone, as is the general feeling of pandemonium, the desperate need for community in order to survive. Gone also is the comic’s protagonist, journalist Matty Roth, and his story of chronicling the early years of the DMZ and anchoring the many stories within."

https://www.polygon.com/22981074/hbo-max-dmz-show-preview

"Where the comic, at least aesthetically, had something to say about the state of American politics and its impact on the world, the show instead opts for empty sermonizing about idealistic belief in political systems, a perspective that clashes wildly with the premise at hand, in which America has, supposedly, already crumbled.

It bears so little resemblance to the comic — visually, narratively, spiritually, and politically — that it’s hard not to wonder if it should have been an original show. More importantly, it fails to deliver on its own promise of a series focused on a mother’s journey to save her son (and eventually, save his soul). "

https://www.ign.com/articles/dmz-full-season-review

I saw all 4 episodes.

It was interesting. Somewhat engaging. But then once I saw it it didn't leave me wanting to see it again or more. It was just another dystopian story about a different world that can feel like too close to the reality we balance on.

Take that for whatever you assume it means. It wasn't horrible. It wasn't amazing.

Hopefully the large text helped. :nyah:

On 3/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, Beige said:

Quelle suprise  - it bombed - 5.7 and dropping like a rock on IMDB - reviews are brutal.

This is what happens when you mess with the original idea.

Capture.JPG.a6b9592882a669d6fa62e8df1f816f4c.JPG

We are working our way through it since my wife actually likes it.  There is way too much talking and make the old school movie Warriors seem even more of a classic.  Just nothing special about it other then it is something my wife and I can watch together with our varying taste in shows.

the reality is these tv shows, movies aren't made for the readers of the comics, it's for a new audience, sometimes these changes are made with the idea that it will bring a bigger audience, sometimes these changes work, sometimes they don't

no one complained about infinity gauntlet when two key players in that story missing were the silver surfer and warlock

oh but wait that's marvel and everything they do is for the fans of the comics

my bad

let me save some of you some time

don't watch anymore WB/DC content if you haven't liked the majority of it so far. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to like it. Instead rewatch any Marvel movie all over again. Or better yet rewatch the entire MCU.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, jsilverjanet said:

the reality is these tv shows, movies aren't made for the readers of the comics, it's for a new audience, sometimes these changes are made with the idea that it will bring a bigger audience, sometimes these changes work, sometimes they don't

no one complained about infinity gauntlet when two key players in that story missing were the silver surfer and warlock

oh but wait that's marvel and everything they do is for the fans of the comics

my bad

Sure.

And (for example) the only Zack Snyder superhero film I can remotely stomach is Watchmen.

It was overtly made for the fans.

And - largely because of that - it bombed.

But I still think it's better (and more rewatchable) than any of the first few years of MCU movies.

For me, I didn't complain re. the lack of Warlock or Silver Surfer pre-Infinity Gauntlet because it seemed pretty clear (at that time) that Captain Marvel would fill the Warlock role (urm...I was wrong).

However, I *do* remember complaining about how stupid it was to do Civil War without Spider-Man.

For me, the two most iconic parts of that series were:

1) Captain America's death; and

2) Spider-Man revealing his identity to the world at a live news conference - an event that crashed the internet.

At the time folks thought Scott Lang / Ant-Man would fill the Spider-Man role.

That is - until the trailer dropped, revealing we'd get Spider-Man in the film after all... :cloud9: