• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2023 at 2:18 AM, jazawlacki said:

Anyone know about this? Other newsstands don't have the sticker but the number on the sticker is the same as the other newsstands. Makes me think it was an error of some kind? Or it's a weird thing a store would do as the UPC would already read that way? Strange.

Also had a Thing book from 2006. This one I'm more skeptical of as a true newsstand but curious if anyone knows for sure.

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Ive got a couple from DC and a couple of Marvel. I see them very rarely, but as of yet they dont add value. 
Now were this a Spawn book it would be worth a pretty penny.

On 1/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ive got a couple from DC and a couple of Marvel. I see them very rarely, but as of yet they dont add value. 
Now were this a Spawn book it would be worth a pretty penny.

I haven't seen many either. I knew the Spawn ones were valuable. These are probably worth hanging onto then. Thanks for the info!

On 1/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, bellrules said:

Anyone come across these before? Direct editions with the Curtis Circulation stamp. Maybe they didn’t print enough newsstands at the time and this was the work around? 

CF208A97-59AA-44A1-9B0F-66AD481AA266.jpeg

C376B3BA-BB92-4F3D-AA83-8B66B5963DFD.jpeg

6B5EB242-48FE-41CD-B86C-F848F5367364.jpeg

I’m fairly certain that every direct copy of Spider-Man #16 has the Curtis stamp. The most likely explanation is just that someone goofed up while they were setting up the direct editions for printing and the mistake wasn’t seen as enough of a problem to warrant the cost of pulping and re-printing them. I have definitely seen multiple other examples where the Curtis stamp was printed on the direct edition, but this is the only one that I could remember off-hand:

34E6FFCF-67F4-4AB6-A2F8-818EBFDC68BD.thumb.jpeg.41e25d100f16b7645ffbc9c4588d4268.jpeg

Anyone come across these before? Direct editions with the Curtis Circulation stamp. Maybe they didn’t print enough newsstands at the time and this was the work around

On 1/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, andyborehol said:

I’m fairly certain that every direct copy of Spider-Man #16 has the Curtis stamp. The most likely explanation is just that someone goofed up while they were setting up the direct editions for printing and the mistake wasn’t seen as enough of a problem to warrant the cost of pulping and re-printing them. I have definitely seen multiple other examples where the Curtis stamp was printed on the direct edition, but this is the only one that I could remember off-hand:

34E6FFCF-67F4-4AB6-A2F8-818EBFDC68BD.thumb.jpeg.41e25d100f16b7645ffbc9c4588d4268.jpeg

A lot of direct Marvels had the CC on the price section in that era (probably just forgetting to change a plate), but I find it odd that they added the stamp after the fact on the Spider-Man. (So far both 14 and 16 are the only ones of this run that I’ve noticed)

On 2/5/2023 at 4:55 AM, andyborehol said:

Am I crazy, or have there been several newsstand Batman 655’s slabbed in 9.2 posted in this thread recently? They’re great books that are heating up, but the 9.2 slab is weirdly specific thing to keep seeing over and over again.

I agree, it's weird - CovrPrice only has sales data for 4 sales of graded newsstand copies of this book, and 3 of the 4 are 9.2s.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:46 PM, andyborehol said:

With this guy now in my collection I only need two more issues to have a complete newsstand run of UXM vol 1! It’s great to have the finish line for a major collecting goal in sight, but unfortunately my path to said finish line is obstructed by ghosts.A95DB66E-42FA-47AA-8224-4B8E25555F9E.thumb.jpeg.0947a5292d09a35ac52b0b50a3cd7f37.jpeg

What are the last two issues? 

On 2/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, andyborehol said:

I’m hesitant to reveal that for fear that someone following this thread will try to snipe me if/when they pop up for sale online. :p

Or someone may have copies of those books and your search is complete. I think we’d all like to see you finish the run. It’s pretty damn impressive. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:01 PM, justadude said:

I haven't seen many either. I knew the Spawn ones were valuable. These are probably worth hanging onto then. Thanks for the info!

I confess ignorance Re:worth of Spawn's with stickers.   Quite some time ago I got a bunch of Spawn newsstands in the #130's (#137 is the last with a newsstand barcode printed on the cover) and the #138 had a barcode sticker on it, but I thought nothing of it.    Does anyone have more details on Spawn issues of that era with stickers?     Thanks