• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, paqart said:

The other thing I like about newsstands is specifically that they weren't "supposed to matter". The rarity of the DD #11/Aja cover is artificially produced by having an intentionally limited print run. The newsstand print runs are based on how many copies the publishers thought they could sell. After that, the comic still had to survive rough handling at the store and after purchase by the customer. Therefore, I look at the rarity of newsstands as more natural, or genuine. To me, the retailer variants are fake rare, newsstands are genuine rare.

Saying things like that will not make you popular among those who have spent a fortune on intentionally limited print runs, but you are correct, regardless. :foryou:

I don't have any photos of me as a kid with my comics, but somewhere I have my original owner books that I purchased at the newsstand (grocery store) with the tiny bubbles of water damage on the cover from the produce sprayers that were near the comic and magazine racks keeping the lettuce crispy and the floor very, very wet.  The "Caution: Slippery" sign had a permanent spot.  It was 25 miles from anywhere that would have a bag and a board available.  Sometimes I used the plastic pages in my Trapper Keeper, but mostly my newsstand books just stacked and wrinkled in the closet floor.  Direct edition books that I bought when I was a little older from comic shops are still shiny in their bags and boards, in their perfectly-sized shortboxes with sturdy lids.  My original newsstand books are still in the printer paper box (dot matrix, with the perforated holes on the edges of the page) that I put them in, back-in-the-day.

EDIT: Awesome!  Google image search knows what I'm talking about:

Front Office | EAGLEMANIACAL.com

Edited by valiantman

On 10/21/2021 at 12:37 PM, valiantman said:

Saying things like that will not make you popular among those who have spent a fortune on intentionally limited print runs, but you are correct, regardless. :foryou:

He's actually not (completely) correct, due to the millions of Newsstand copies that never made it to the racks and for which the publishers never got paid, yet still manage to exist.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, George Brent said:

I don't think it's false advertising or wishful thinking

Because you just don't think, period. It's a blatant lie meant to separate stupid speculators from their money.

Keep chugging that Kool-Aid!

On 10/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, littledoom said:
On 10/21/2021 at 5:14 PM, valiantman said:

I don't have any photos of me as a kid with my comics,

All the photos my family took of me w comics are outrageously geekafied 

That's the whole point.  No one wants to see a kid with comics who doesn't look like he's thrilled about it. :kidaround:

On 10/22/2021 at 12:06 AM, divad said:

90s are tougher finds . . . :whistle:

:-)

Actually, some are.   Talking about basically worthless issues (but, darnit, have to have them  -- this goes back to the bug of collecting that someone just posted about)  :  try finding newsstand copies of Namor #16-34.  AFAIK, 16-19 only exist with UPC stickers on them, I have never seen a newsstand copy of 20-26, and have found and bought only 1-2 copies of 16-19 & 27-34 in the past ~10 years.  This is very surprising for an era of huge print runs for both direct and newsstand Marvels, I'm sure there are interesting lost stories about such cases  ("yeah, I remember those pallets of just-printed comics tipping and falling into the Hudson river")  --Lazyboy, can I claim that those are 1:100,000 ?   

There's a category of collectible that many modern newsstand books now fall into (as well as some collectibles from all eras) which doesn't have an official name, but it's something like:

"Doesn't cost much now, but if you think you will hoard them, it could take you years just to find a few."

Those are the kinds of collectibles that only need a small future demand to become impossible to obtain at any price.  If you happen to find them when they're cheap (such as many modern newsstands), there are only two directions the price can reasonably go in the future.  If they're cheap enough when you get them, there isn't room for them to drop in price. Either the price goes nowhere, or it goes up. If they stay cheap forever, you can probably get your money back anytime.  But if they go up, they may not stop.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:08 PM, valiantman said:

Either the price goes nowhere, or it goes up. If they stay cheap forever, you can probably get your money back anytime.  But if they go up, they may not stop.

Exactly. I think I got lucky with the newsstands I have today because the opportunities are clearly drying up. When I see them for sale now, like at the last convention I attended, they tend to be from the eighties and nineties. The moderns I focused on are much harder to locate, if they can be found at all. I'm still looking for the majority of the 2002 Catwoman series by Darwyn Cooke and later, Paul Gulacy. Not a super-hot comic but very hard to find. I'll add that it is a pretty good comic though.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, divad said:

:whistle: Like this one?

CW28a.jpeg

I think I have two of those. Last year I got lucky and found about 15-20 unique issues from the same seller and bought them all. I'm missing about half of the first ten, a third of the following thirty issues, and everything after about issue 40.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:18 PM, paqart said:

I think I have two of those. Last year I got lucky and found about 15-20 unique issues from the same seller and bought them all. I'm missing about half of the first ten, a third of the following thirty issues, and everything after about issue 40.

A quick look and I was able to find 28, 29 and 30. :bigsmile: I too, like the series - both Cook and Gulacy are faves (never mind AH!)

On 10/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, divad said:

A quick look and I was able to find 28, 29 and 30. :bigsmile: I too, like the series - both Cook and Gulacy are faves (never mind AH!)

I just looked and see this is what I have (in newsstand):

#2, 4-6, 10, 29, 30, 32-39. So, less than I thought but I have duplicates of 29, 32-36. The dupes were probably throwing me off.

I'm doing better with the 2005 Supergirl series. I have 84 newsstands from the 66 issue run. Of those, many are dupes. I am missing about half the run.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:00 PM, George Brent said:

:-)

Actually, some are.   Talking about basically worthless issues (but, darnit, have to have them  -- this goes back to the bug of collecting that someone just posted about)  :  try finding newsstand copies of Namor #16-34.  AFAIK, 16-19 only exist with UPC stickers on them, I have never seen a newsstand copy of 20-26, and have found and bought only 1-2 copies of 16-19 & 27-34 in the past ~10 years.  This is very surprising for an era of huge print runs for both direct and newsstand Marvels, I'm sure there are interesting lost stories about such cases  ("yeah, I remember those pallets of just-printed comics tipping and falling into the Hudson river")  --Lazyboy, can I claim that those are 1:100,000 ?   

I would bet that the Namor series belongs in this thread.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Lazyboy said:

I would bet that the Namor series belongs in this thread.

D-a-m-'.       That was a good half hour I spent on that thread  --but a good one  (though I'm not sure about one claim on there that every Sensational She Hulk after #2 had both direct and newsstand, as I've never seen a newsstand copy of #51-60 --and, holy cow, I just checked MHC for their She Hulk newsstand info and their prices for #40-onwards are now 4-5x the already very high prices of a few weeks ago, #60 is $2280 in VF)