• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 9:29 PM, Corona smith said:
On 11/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, fastballspecial said:

Where is the newsstand cut off again for Marvel? 
As far as Ms Marvel goes I can see issues in the 20s and thats about it.

Through 2013. 

So then can I expect to be able to look for newsstands on this title till issue 50?

Or is there a site that can tell me the last issue? I know some issues, but as I branch
out I would like to know them all.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:59 PM, fastballspecial said:

So then can I expect to be able to look for newsstands on this title till issue 50?

Or is there a site that can tell me the last issue? I know some issues, but as I branch

They were still printing newsstands so it’s possible. I’m unsure of any database showing what books were available as a newsstand but it’d be a great resource. I have dozens of books I’ve been looking for in Newsstand and they’ve yet to surface. I know over in the Image Newsstand thread a few titles like Spawn & Witchblade  have the last Newsstand issues listed. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 11/8/2021 at 5:17 AM, Corona smith said:
On 11/7/2021 at 10:59 PM, fastballspecial said:

They were still printing newsstands so it’s possible. I’m unsure of any database showing what books were available as a newsstand but it’d be a great resource. I have dozens of books I’ve been looking for in Newsstand and they’ve yet to surface. I know over in the Image Newsstand thread a few titles like Spawn & Witchblade  have the last Newsstand issues listed. 

There is also this list of the last DC Newsstand Issues.

https://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html?m=1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There is also this list of the last DC Newsstand Issues.

https://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html?m=1

If anyone needs to know that a particular newsstand variant exists among the DC Comics titles Batman, Detective, Superman, or Action Comics exists, feel free to contact me.  I found them all from the time they started with October 1980 until they ended with cover dates of October 2017.   I don't believe there were any issues in those titles where a newsstand issue was not produced during that time period.

Along those lines, I found all newsstand variants of all the Millennium editions of those 4 titles except Action 252.  If anyone ever sees that one, I would love to hear about it.  I suspect that just like the JLA #1 Millennium edition, it was never produced in newsstand format and the one newsstand version that will be found will have a newsstand sticker on it.

So two listings for ASM #365 just showed up on Mycomicshop.com. Both are CGC 9.8 but one is direct and one is newsstand. As you can see the newsstand is 3 times as much as the direct. Is this the current market or is this seller just crazy (it's a consignment so mycomicshop.com didn't set the price)? I've been collecting newsstands since the Hickman Era on Fantastic Four because it was easiest for me to get them at Barnes and Noble and I kinda got addicted to them. This was just the latest side by side example of how crazy this market has gotten (or an example of a seller who will never sell that item, we'll see)😄

Screenshot_20211110-070312_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Edited by bshowell

On 11/10/2021 at 6:17 AM, bshowell said:

So two listings for ASM #365 just showed up on Mycomicshop.com. Both are CGC 9.8 but one is direct and one is newsstand. As you can see the newsstand is 3 times as much as the direct. Is this the current market or is this seller just crazy (it's a consignment so mycomicshop.com didn't set the price)? I've been collecting newsstands since the Hickman Era on Fantastic Four because it was easiest for me to get them at Barnes and Noble and I kinda got addicted to them. This was just the latest side by side example of how crazy this market has gotten (or an example of a seller who will never sell that item, we'll see)😄

Depends on the issue and the collector and luck.  BUT generally not always, newsstands (especially more modern ones) command a premium over direct.  However, it depends on the issue, the grade, the key-ness, etc.  If you are more interested, you can probably do your own comparisons of relevant comics on ebay sold issues, which provide more valuable data than asking prices that are unsold.

Of course it's all relative and very individual to the issue and the buyer.  For your average direct 2005 comic, most people might be willing to pay a quarter.  But if it's a newsstand, maybe a dollar.  So that's a 300% premium, which sounds like a lot, but is really just 75 cents.  But you might get a key CGC 9.8 that costs $200, and maybe you can get $300 for the newsstand version.  SO that's just a 50% premium, but obviously $100 more.  But in reality there's a what 10,000x more common comics than key comics, so for 99.9999% of ALL comics in the 1990's and 2000's, the newsstand is worth 200-300% more than the direct edition.  But for keys or minor keys, the percentage premium might be smaller but the absolute value premium might be bigger.  So make sure you're comparing apples to apples and researching the right data for whatever needs are.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:17 AM, bshowell said:

There’s not much of a difference in price between the two for that era of books. Newsstands were sold everywhere during that period. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, fastballspecial said:

Local seller I bought about 100 books from today.
This by far was my favorite I couldn't buy it fast enough.
They are out there you just have to look.

spawn130fnews.thumb.jpg.773abf7748a6d48154a09f84295e1cae.jpg

Noice!

On 11/10/2021 at 6:17 AM, bshowell said:

It’s a crazy market for certain newsstand issues in 9.8

2 sales in August $1652 and $1740.  Plenty of sales over$1000 for ASM 365.