• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

Whats everyone else think of this chart?
In my experience I thought the print run went down hill about 1996 and fell 
off a cliff in 2000 and past.  This chart points to the early 90s which I 
still abundantly find newsstands of most issues. I dont disagree about 2000 
on, but seems the 1990s were much abundant then this chart indicates.

image.png.0ab21ef31363ca790ac7036975335ba5.png

On 12/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

I would have to agree with your assessment. There were still plenty of newsstands available in the early 90's. I would say it was  around 96-97 that they started to decline. 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

My experience went up and down. I agree that early to mid 90s there were still a ton of newsstands available. I used to buy them at Safeway which had a huge rack for Marvel, another for DC, and a third for all the rest. That was consolidated sometime after Heroes Return (I remember because the first issue of Lobdel/Davis Fantastic Four was on the shelf) into one big rack for everything.  That probably completely went away a year or so later. It was after this though that the Target in my town started carrying the major Marvel titles (they had Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-men and what not). Borders also moved into the town next to mine and had a sizable rack until 2001 or 2002. I do think the percentage did go up around 2013 or just before as well because of Barnes and Noble. They started carrying almost all the Marvel and DC titles for a little over a year until Marvel, and later DC, pulled out of newsstand altogether. This was funny because when it started they literally had 12 copies of every title they sold on their stand when they put them out. I remember thinking that was probably too many for the newsstand market. As time went on it was reduced to 2 copies per title right before it ended.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

There are really three different ways to look at newsstands.

1) Percentage of newsstand printed vs. direct edition

2) Percentage of newsstand surviving vs. direct edition

3) Percentage of newsstand surviving in collectible grade vs. direct edition

It seems that a lot of people want to focus on 1), because we sometimes have very good numbers (circulation statements) for it, but that's probably the least important today.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, valiantman said:

It seems that a lot of people want to focus on 1), because we sometimes have very good numbers (circulation statements) for it, but that's probably the least important today.

Good points,

but 2 is really difficult to prove right? Some will use the census, but thats not
really fair I think. 

3 is a snapshot in time right? Big Money can change that at any time. Id like to say
a Joe 21 newsstand in high grade shouldn't be that hard to find, but according to 
the census it is and demands a much larger amount.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, fastballspecial said:
On 12/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, valiantman said:

Good points,

but 2 is really difficult to prove right? Some will use the census, but thats not
really fair I think. 

3 is a snapshot in time right? Big Money can change that at any time. Id like to say
a Joe 21 newsstand in high grade shouldn't be that hard to find, but according to 

Since CGC chose not to distinguish the differences for newsstand and direct editions, we do have trouble with 3), but @gpanalysis has been identifying the differences for some time on particular issues and we're getting a better picture of what's most likely on the CGC Census percentage-wise on some books.

As far as I'm concerned, 3) is the only thing that matters.  Obviously, "collectible grade" can vary from person to person, but generally speaking, collectible grades are sent to CGC and collectible grades are bought and sold online, so having a record of the percentages of CGC graded newsstand and CGC graded direct editions is much more helpful than just seeing a generic "1987 = 30%" in a chart, with no reference to publisher, title, issue, grade, recorded sales counts, or market value.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, fastballspecial said:

Good points,

really fair I think. 

2 and 3 are not only completely impossible to prove, but there's no way to even get a starting point for real numbers based on actual, complete reality rather than junk based on a fraction of a fraction of reality that somebody can see (or thinks they can).

On 12/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

2 and 3 are not only completely impossible to prove, but there's no way to even get a starting point for real numbers based on actual, complete reality rather than junk based on a fraction of a fraction of reality that somebody can see (or thinks they can).

You really have no idea how statistics work, do you? lol

On 12/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

I know lots about statistics:

Biased samples

Garbage in, garbage out

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

The problem is that when you take "statistics" out of "Lies, damned lies, and statistics", you're left with lies and damned lies.

Statistics are the best alternative of the three, and the only one that can be tested over and over again.

You're against the only thing worth anything at all.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:53 PM, divad said:

Is that a sticker on the Morbius???

It is. That month all the Ghost Rider family of books had those parchment paper type covers without barcodes on the outside but put sticker barcodes on the newsstand copies. I was a little worried CGC might green label this because of the sticker but luckily they did not.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:57 AM, bshowell said:

It is. That month all the Ghost Rider family of books had those parchment paper type covers without barcodes on the outside but put sticker barcodes on the newsstand copies. I was a little worried CGC might green label this because of the sticker but luckily they did not.

That helps answer a question for me too. I have passed on many a nice copy because of that unless its Spawn
which is in demand for those. Now that I know that I wont pass on them anymore. That 9.8 is really nice black
cover and all.