• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, fastballspecial said:

I just picked up a nice 9.4 of this other day. 

I picked this up for the nostalgia. I was already a huge Byrne fan at the time because I loved his Fantastic Four run, which i read in pieces whenever i could get my hands on a back issue, and was really excited to see his version of Venom (who was another of my faves). I just remember seeing Venom showing up on the last page and thinking this is the worst looking Venom I've ever seen!

f920308961b1e237d805df28e9c0e205.jpg

Edited by bshowell

On 12/22/2021 at 2:31 PM, Corona smith said:

3E865C4D-C05A-4D2C-BED6-93B40DAA3E43.jpeg

2F2AF5DB-6D93-4035-AD7B-34A24BD57F17.jpeg

03E0B83A-7126-4B7D-A943-B238C94BDAC6.jpeg

I had found the #7 but it wasn't in grade. :(

Still congrats for you, those are nice :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/24/2021 at 5:17 AM, Corona smith said:

Those Amazing Fantasy Newsstands are exceedingly difficult to find. Only ones I’ve found are #2,3,7, 15. I bought the AF15 for $50 on eBay and got $1200 from an award winning Hollywood Writer when I sold it. 

I've seen a few others, started kicking myself for not buying them months ago. At the time, didn't want to spend $75-$150 each but would do it today (and did, for the one pictured in my post). Another group I feel the same way about is the Spider-Man Noir series. I saw them once, passed on the price, and then they disappeared.

Edited by paqart

On 12/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, paqart said:

Another very hard to find newsstand just arrived at my doorstep in the snow.

morbius 1.jpg

I was curious, have you tried submitting these to CGC yourself? Is CGC generally better at getting the label right or correct?

I always was intimidated, I've done it a few times, but seems a hassle or was :( 

On 12/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was curious, have you tried submitting these to CGC yourself? Is CGC generally better at getting the label right or correct?

I always was intimidated, I've done it a few times, but seems a hassle or was :( 

I submitted 75 comics to CGC in 3 separate submissions between March 24, 2021 and May 2021. They still have all of them. They are all at the "quick press and clean" stage at CCs. I was charged $200 for the first group of 25, so I assume it is done but then that group disappeared from CGC's tracking tool. Then the second group disappeared. I called to ask about this. The woman I spoke with said they will reappear when they are "scheduled for grading". So, this is the main reason I held off submitting for so long, and why I may not submit again. At least, not until they catch up to their backlog. For reference, the comics I sent are the ones I perceive to be the most rare/interesting/valuable issues I own. For that reason, I stopped posting modern newsies here a long time ago, anticipating a big reveal when these comics come back from CGC. However, it has taken so long that I am impatient and have started posting again.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, paqart said:

I submitted 75 comics to CGC in 3 separate submissions between March 24, 2021 and May 2021. They still have all of them. They are all at the "quick press and clean" stage at CCs. I was charged $200 for the first group of 25, so I assume it is done but then that group disappeared from CGC's tracking tool. Then the second group disappeared. I called to ask about this. The woman I spoke with said they will reappear when they are "scheduled for grading". So, this is the main reason I held off submitting for so long, and why I may not submit again. At least, not until they catch up to their backlog. For reference, the comics I sent are the ones I perceive to be the most rare/interesting/valuable issues I own. For that reason, I stopped posting modern newsies here a long time ago, anticipating a big reveal when these comics come back from CGC. However, it has taken so long that I am impatient and have started posting again.

I hear you, no worries, and looking forward to the BIG POST! Eventually :wishluck: 

On 12/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, bshowell said:

Merry Christmas to me!

20211224_132047.jpg

That is awesome, I remember when and where I was when I bought that off the stands, one of those rare moments! :x

Congrats :)