• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,003 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, paqart said:

About 3 years ago, I found these in a dollar bin (including the one with the $10 price sticker). At the time, I had just learned that newsstands were interesting but knew very little about them. I hadn't bought comics for around 15 years and had no idea what these were, whether they were popular, or who the artists were. From my point of view, I didn't like the art at all, particularly the covers. I later found out that the artist, Mack, is popular among some collectors. More recently, I discovered that my least favorite cover out of a group I didn't like, belonged to a newly popular comic, Daredevil #9, due to the first appearance of a character named Echo. I still haven't read any of these, so I don't even know what the character looks like.

DD 1999.jpg

Those are nice looking copies. However you took that pic lol

It looks like a "red" carpet type, but green actually. Makes it look artsy, any move on any of the art you were doing?

I'm happy you took an interest in Newsstands. Would seem a higher power blessed you with the nack to find them!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those are nice looking copies. However you took that pic lol

It looks like a "red" carpet type, but green actually. Makes it look artsy, any move on any of the art you were doing?

I'm happy you took an interest in Newsstands. Would seem a higher power blessed you with the nack to find them!

The funny thing is that I do commercial photography assignments every once in a while. It takes a while to set up the equipment, so I don't typically use it to take photos of my comics. The exception is when I put them on eBay. For those, I use the same gear and lighting that would be used for an Absolut vodka ad. The difference is that creative lighting and composition are desirable in an advertisement but not in an eBay listing, where you want the cleanest possible representation of the item you have for sale. I have only sold comics that I don't want to keep, usually purchased in order to get something else. It may seem a waste to take good pictures of those but once the gear is setup, it takes no longer to photograph them than if I used less professional gear. Attached are a couple of shots to give you an idea what my eBay listings looked like before the items sold.

As far as art, I just finished a project with Graham Nolan and a few other people you've heard of. I am about to do another story with Chuck Dixon but don't have the -script yet. I liked the way I did the story for Graham, so I decided to start another project over in the same style. Images attached.

ACTION Comics 282 020109.jpg

ACTION Comics 282 020110.jpg

ACTION Comics 282 020111.jpg

Wildflower Issue 01 Page 02-03.jpg

Wildflower Issue 01 Page 01 with Lettering.jpg

Compass alt cover1.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 11:18 AM, Lifesuggs said:
On 1/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, awakeintheashes said:

One more

1E81CCE9-A122-4D59-BDBE-2ED5833199AE.thumb.jpeg.c3e2abe7f09eda32f5f0297577258a56.jpeg

Expand  

I have a tendency to grab this whenever I see it, underrated 1st appearance

agreed! I think I even have one at CGC now, or at least, one boxed up to go :shy: 

I think it is a fun cover imo