• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old photos of yourselves with comics?
2 2

94 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, davidtere said:

Thank you Lions Den. These photos were taken on a 'brownie' camera during the summertime mid 60's in Saginaw Michigan. Discovering our summer friend's comics which they kept in their tree house behind their family restaurant really opened my eyes to Marvel monster comics which is mainly what they had. The freedom that the 60's offered for a kid who lived somewhat rurally was incredible. I appreciate the opportunity to have lived that. Marvel 'breaking out', 80 Page DC Giants were the Wonder Years for sure. Most of the kids that I knew read comics or had them lying around the house. I remember one friend giving me a Tales of Suspense # 55, another friend giving me a Daredevil (Marvel) #2 and yet another friend giving me a stack of early Adventure featuring the Legion of Superheroes. Those were the days!

Those days are golden to me.

Interesting your friends kept comics in a treehouse. Back in the 60's and 70's, I used to stash comics all over the place. The house I lived in at the time had a lot of attics and closets; it was a really weird layout. But it was a great place for a comic reading kid...  :foryou: 

Edited by The Lions Den

On 10/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Hi gang! I collect vintage original comic-related snapshots and I’d love to see yours! I find them to be a fascinating glimpse into how comics intersected with daily American life. 

9D55ECB0-DB29-4A57-8E2B-FB25596B02E0.jpeg

Hee hee! Taking your slab out for some sun?

21 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

Not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure this is a comic book I'm reading. Mostly likely ASM 62 or FF 73.  I folded them over like that for a while until I wised up.  Taken in suburbia, summer 1969.  That's my mother's car and the neighbor's dog.

1968.jpg

That car is Phat. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, MattTheDuck said:

By the time I learned to drive, she'd traded it in for a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 which I drove the cr*p out of in high school.

I grew up in a small town where classic cars were popular. I have an extreme appreciation for them, the Thunderbirds, the Chevelles, the Cudas, the 409s :cloud9: ... I had a buddy that managed to pack a 454 with a blower into a Corvette ... when he cranked it up, the garage would vibrate and it took a full tank of gas just to ge itt to Yorktown... about 20 miles away. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/5/2020 at 11:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's a picture of me outside the old GOSH! comic shop, back in the days when it was opposite the British Museum:

me.thumb.jpg.f2bb88b34d0e63ea34e33ccf1282dc8b.jpg

I'm letting the side down by holding what looks like the Spanish version of Pulling Mussels instead of a comic but you can't have everything. Around 1985 I think hm

Oh for the days of hair....

I love this one... I was probably standing next to you in the basement going through the back issue bins.

This was back in 2009. At the time, this was the only CGC 9.9 New Mutants 98 on the planet. I never expected this to happen but after the sale, I was asked to for a history about the book and shortly after, this article happened. lol This was back when most said it would never get that type of money again and now its a 45k book. 

framed new mutants.png