• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

686 posts in this topic

This mile high comics article linked below on news stand editions gives an interesting perspective. Apologises if it's been posted before. It would also explain why high grade ASM 300 new stand editions are rare for example:

https://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/031513.html

While they started towards the end of the bronze age, and were phased out in the modern era, they were most prevalent during the copper age. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:07 PM, Lazyboy said:

lol Yeah, that's one way to put it!

That's mostly a bunch of steaming horse:censored: that attempts to justify pricing Newsstands even higher than their other already ludicrously-priced inventory. The numbers in particular are pure nonsense.

Also, Direct editions were the new version that started in late Bronze. The vast majority of comics were distributed through the newsstand system before that.

Everything Chuck sez aligns with profit motive. Take his words carefulllllllly

On 9/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

Everything Chuck sez aligns with profit motive. Take his words carefulllllllly

Thanks for the heads up. I still thought the historical overview was informative. News stand bar code variants are scarcer, particularly in high grade, compared to Direct copies. They have to survive a rough journey. Considering how Mark Jewellers insert 'variants' sell for a lot more than standard issues, I think selling news stands for a higher price is justified to a limited degree. Not multiple times higher like Chuck does though xD

On 9/16/2021 at 8:19 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Thanks for the heads up. I still thought the historical overview was informative. News stand bar code variants are scarcer, particularly in high grade, compared to Direct copies. They have to survive a rough journey. Considering how Mark Jewellers insert 'variants' sell for a lot more than standard issues, I think selling news stands for a higher price is justified to a limited degree. Not multiple times higher like Chuck does though xD

While Logical, it's nowhere near absolute. Of course without CGC displaying or even possessing up to this point  that Direct vs Newsstand data it's  speculative.

Lets take some examples:

1) Thor 337 in CGC 9.8.  Those who have monitored this book the past 5 years as i have on eBay will likley have noticed there are a plethora of newsstand copies for sale, at times outnumbering the directs. Back in the day 337 became a hot book the moment it hit the Comic shops. Dealers, flippers and collectors of the time flocked to the newsstands 2-3 weeks later and grabbed all copies they could find, even if they had to intimidate a few children in the process :) As result that book as a newsstand copy is not scarce in 9.6 or 9.8 and probably should not command a cent more as newsstand copies back then still outnumbered direct sale.

2) Early DC and Marvel direct sales.  Newsstands accounted for all but a tiny fraction of the market.  "Warehouse Finds" of newsstands of that era are still unearthed every now and then. Also back then there were venues other than actual newsstands that would carry newsstand editions. While there are exceptions of course newsstands from the early Direct Sale era in high grade are not scarce.

3) Later era's, I've low interest in books issues after 1990, but I do agree those newsstand pop's are probably very low in high grade.

Keep in mind I've no skin in this game unlike Mile High Comics I do not sell Comic Books. My guess is any attack on my comments that drip with venom (or carnage :) ) are from those with a fiscal concern.

P.S. There are several late 70's Marvel Books I prefer newsstands as they are what I recalled as small child. The different between the price area on the 40 and 50 cents Marvels is quite different as the direct sale has the diamond. Once the only real difference became the Spidey vs UPS i could not care less. As for DC, only difference from the get go was the UPC area so no real interest to me which I have (or get). However some direct sale had art while newsstands had the UPC (like Crisis 1) on those I want only the Direct Sale.

Edited by MAR1979

Picked this up not due to it being a newsstand, but think the cover looks great with the old school slab. My memories though are the direct sale edition and to me it does not look the same with out the "1935 DC50 1985" in UPC area.  So for me just a place holder.

One of my favorite Texeira covers.

Hex_1.thumb.jpg.0cd7dec10257a02ee18ae7f21f887458.jpg

Final issue, perhaps looking in wrong places but this one took longer than I guessed to locate a newsstand (had hoped to find a 2nd gen CGC slab so it would match my other Battlestars).  I'm not a newsstand collector as such, but want books the way I first recall seeing them.  Which is why in my last post was actually a bit disappointed the Hex 1 in pre-2002 CGC slab was not Direct Sale. Guess I'm difficult to please :)

Simonson Cover with Simonson/Janson interiors - an A level team doing what at the time was a C level book on the cancellation block.

battlestar23.thumb.jpg.6850ceac2efec229fd337df28c813328.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Only the newsstand would do for me on this book.  Was hoping for an older slab for aesthetic reasons but glad I grabbed it before it jumped in price.  The book seemed to jump overnight from $50-$75 to near triple that for the direct sale. 

StarTrek1Marvel.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Don't recall if i posted this in past.  The last 2-3 pages of this book were excellent and timeless, even if the rest book was horrid.  Mine from back in the day has some serious spine creases, so went looking for a replacement 5 years back. I had sought the direct sale as it was what I remembered but got a fair price so ended up with the newsstand version.  The book was one of DC lowest seller's the last 2 years of the run.

wf323.thumb.jpg.221e23304ee007cfc1fc4cac28666a05.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

While breaking-in my new scanner found that my Losers Special which I've owned for nearly 20 years was a newsstand. To be fair it's the first time in 10 years or more that I opened the box that held it. Now I have to look for a direct sale as to me the book is not the same with out the "1935 DC50 1985" in UPC area :)

"Old School" slab

371117235_LosersSpecial_1.thumb.jpg.72d99513e88e5008bd6e9b69ad23c1bb.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Noticing a trend while going though my books for scanning. A bunch of Newsstands for which I thought, or rather guessed, I had Direct Sale.  Seems to me 12-19 years back Newsstands were somewhat common at cons and on eBay.  For DC especially back then I never would have sought them, but yet ended up with them.  Probably 15 years since the box this one was in had been gone through.

Great Garcia-Lopez Cover from a fondly remembered series. 1st app Dart.

Atari_Force1.thumb.jpg.0ff08ce12192e0f00d6328ced4938a99.jpg

My final pre-Covid newsstand purchases. Due to my earliest memories of these books I specifically sought out newsstands which I don't normally do.. Glad I got them before they jumped in "value". One day the Statement with the yellow background might come true for the book? :)

Classic Byrne covers.

X-Men137.jpg

X-Men138.jpg

Edited by MAR1979