• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Receiving a commission that is underwhelming
4 4

117 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

No, I am not the sheriff. He came to these boards looking for justification for what he did. For the most part, he didn’t get it. If the lesson was really learned, then why doesn’t he correct what he did?

Someone needs to learn how to deduce others' replies and not project lol.

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just to be clear, I only responded to his snotty comments. I wasn’t planning to continue.
That attitude, however, gives hobbyists a bad name. If artists think that sort of behavior is commonplace, prices for commissions will go up as artists have to include the risk of nonpayment in their pricing for commissions or just refuse them without prepayment. With prepayment comes the risk that the commission will get done “eventually”, or maybe never.

As to that image, Purple Drank isn’t 100% of anything.

Rick I hear you but this is a one off. That one interaction going south is not representative of most commissions. My position is clear. A deal is a deal. I would eat a loss even if I didn’t love the finished product.

Ive always paid the artist before a single line was drawn. I don’t like to waste an artists time. I trust the artist maybe more than I should but it’s worked for me.

In Fuggits case, this transaction feels wonky from the get go. There’s more to the story then we’ve heard I suspect.

But the buyer who “stiffed” the artist goes by the name Fuggit....

FUGGIT

He got away with one, he doesn’t give a Fugg....

In a handshake deal one guy did the work, the guy who agreed to paying reneged. So I respect the artists opinion the most. Without a written contract an artist should collect at least 50% up front in my opinion. If upon presentation of the finished art the collector balks at paying the rest the artist keeps the up front money for time and effort. 
Then he can sell that piece to another collector.

Mr. Scott Williams Anything I would commission from you I would pay you up front. I would trust you would give me your best. If for some reason I wasn’t blown away, I would just give it time.

Thats the beauty of art. I think of Moebius, whose art I detested as a teenager. There are drawings I once loathed that today I would give ( insert any boardie name here but mine) a left ball to own one of those drawings today.

Art does that....images you don’t like when seen in a different frame of mind can be images you fall in love with.

And yes purple drank you ain’t all that !!!

2 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Does the artist owe you money or are you the Message board sheriff?  Maybe we should go protest outside of Fugits house until we shame him into doing what you want.  FUGIT,  I want the apology to be in the form of a Haiku. It evokes more sincerity and thought. Get writing!

Sorry I also want you to give us 3 Our Fathers and a Hail Mary or you better now show your face around these parts again!

The guy goes by Fuggit...FUGGIT

No ones shaming Fuggit into anything I suspect.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

This a problematic line of thinking.

To start, I believe only the good-best commissions are being posted (here, no idea re: social media - I ain't on any of it!), but actually as I suggested much earlier in this thread - the hobby would be best served if all of them were, with identifying characteristics only (artist, request made, price, turnaround expectation and actual time, and image/no-image as a result) and no further comment. The hobby (each of us individually) could then make their own judgement in the vacuum of comment.

there's a Facebook group that basically already does this.  

After all this time I’ve never once gotten a commission.  I’ve paid an artist to ink a pencil piece I acquired, that’s about it. I just don’t like the unknown of paying for someone to be brilliant on command...in my experience it just doesn’t work that way. I’d rather let them be brilliant on their own and then afterwards try and scoop it up when this awesome piece hits the market.

Bare in mind however, in terms of keepers, I very rarely make acquisitions in part due to this obnoxious level of picky-ness....so I’m probably not a model anyone sane or smart should follow.

Edited by zhamlau

15 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

there's a Facebook group that basically already does this.  

Fair enough but after several years of backlash resulting in many leaving FB or never signing up to begin with (me, among others) due to the rather obvious potential, since realized, opportunities for abuse by FB/affiliates themselves...not a "for all" solution. But as you state, it's there for those that wish to use it.

Ok, so I decided to post the commission but whited out the artist's name. Again, he is a great guy, easy to talk to, and I will probably reach out again some day. Just think he was having an off day plus it was on the cheaper end of commission prices. I'm trying to fall in love with it, put it in a frame.....but I think this one is going into storage :(

Also below is the image I gave for inspiration to the artist. 

3esn7i.jpg.76d8b1cadbfed88b168eccb492479e31.jpg

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.390c78e0b16fde6e1baa928b48882c57.jpg

15 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Ok, so I decided to post the commission but whited out the artist's name. Again, he is a great guy, easy to talk to, and I will probably reach out again some day. Just think he was having an off day plus it was on the cheaper end of commission prices. I'm trying to fall in love with it, put it in a frame.....but I think this one is going into storage :(

It is not the worst I have seen but I see why you would not be head over heels on it... Venom is a tough subject though... Not sure I would ever commission an expensive venom without seeing a lot of examples of that artists renditions first. 

4 hours ago, vodou said:

To start, I believe only the good-best commissions are being posted (here, no idea re: social media - I ain't on any of it!), but actually as I suggested much earlier in this thread - the hobby would be best served if all of them were, with identifying characteristics only (artist, request made, price, turnaround expectation and actual time, and image/no-image as a result) and no further comment.

Interesting.  Although I don't list the pricing for any art or commissions I get. 

I wouldn't do that just for ones that are underwhelming because I think that would be form of comment.

But I get your point, post the art and let other people judge.

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

Although I don't list the pricing for any art or commissions I get. 

I wouldn't do that just for ones that are underwhelming because I think that would be form of comment.

If everybody did it, as protocol, it wouldn't...it would just be "fact".

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

$300 right? I think it's "ok", and maybe I'm a harsher judge than most re: creativity, but to me this would fail as it's not inspired by but really just a hacked out re-hash. Lame. For any money. Lame (to me, imo). Unless that's what you asked for/wanted (which would make the commissioner rather uncreative, and the artist a whore more than an "artist" for not refusing it - remember it's their signature that will be "out there" on it).

16 minutes ago, vodou said:

$300 right? I think it's "ok", and maybe I'm a harsher judge than most re: creativity, but to me this would fail as it's not inspired by but really just a hacked out re-hash. Lame. For any money. Lame (to me, imo). Unless that's what you asked for/wanted (which would make the commissioner rather uncreative, and the artist a whore more than an "artist" for not refusing it - remember it's their signature that will be "out there" on it).

I said i wanted a Venom perched on a rooftop, here is a pic for reference. When I got the package at the front door I was pumped like I usually am getting the "knock" we all love to hear. Then I opened it and got sad. 

Edited by Blastaar

2 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I said i wanted a Venom perched on a rooftop, here is a pic for reference. When I got the package at the front door and I was pumped like I usually am getting the "knock" we all love to hear. Then I opened it and got sad. 

As i suspected: hacked out for the $$$ not "art". Doesn't make this artist unique, that, it's a big part of why I don't high-five much in the commission or art day threads...lots of hacked out work being done daily by many. Why rain on somebody's parade if they don't see it that way though? (Lack of taste knows no demographic nor socioeconomic barriers!) I only put that up because you were already negative. Hope that makes sense. I won't add more, I'm sure there's somebody on eBay that would put that $300 back in your pocket (you eating fees/shipping though?) and I don't want to queer that.