• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most ridiculous comic panels of all time?
13 13

2,647 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 11:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'll admit that doesn't look good, but JR JR did do some nice art during that Daredevil run, just prior to developing his blockier style.  

He did, that's why I was surprised when I saw this one, I was hoping I'd still be in his "good art" era. Had never read this specific book until today.

Typhoid Mary, daughter of Sauron (the flappy-flappy Marvel one). 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, gadzukes said:

Advertisement on the back cover.  

Gorilla escapes and a boy just happens to WALKING AROUND THE ZOO WITH HIS .22 CALIBRE RIFLE?????

Not to mention the girl is walking around the ZOO with her bow & arrow.

AND..... of course the cops rush in to shake the kids hand and say, "You deserve a medal"

HOW did this ad make it past the Comics Code?

IMG_0158.jpeg

Good thing the gorilla speaks english and/or recognizes rifles and bows.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:09 PM, gadzukes said:

Advertisement on the back cover.  

Gorilla escapes and a boy just happens to WALKING AROUND THE ZOO WITH HIS .22 CALIBRE RIFLE?????

Not to mention the girl is walking around the ZOO with her bow & arrow.

AND..... of course the cops rush in to shake the kids hand and say, "You deserve a medal"

HOW did this ad make it past the Comics Code?

IMG_0158.jpeg

It's also possible that the primate can't stand the smell of Cloverine Brand Salve. Or was intimidated by confusing that with the aggressively masculine, musky fragrance of its better known competitor, Wolverine Brand Salve.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ken Aldred said:

It's also possible that the primate can't stand the smell of Cloverine Brand Salve. Or was intimidated by confusing that with the aggressively masculine, musky fragrance of its better known competitor, Wolverine Brand Salve.

Coming up with this comic ad for "Cloverine Brand Salve" would have made such an awesome episode for "Madmen".

- Cloverine executives: "Mr Draper, how can we make our Salve..... EXCITING???"

- Don Draper: Takes a drag off his cigarette, stares into the distance, and then.... snaps his finger and says... "I've got it! An all-american 10 year old boy with a machine gun at the Zoo, and an escaped man-eating Gorilla!!!"

- Cloverine executives: "What does that have to do with our Salve?"

- Don Draper: "We're not selling Salve... we're selling testosterone & masculinity!"

- Cloverine executives: "Isn't a machine gun a bit much, I mean..... it's a 10 year old boy!"

- Don Draper: "Ok.... .22 calibre rifle.  And let's add a girl with a bow & arrow.  That'll bring in the female demographic."

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/3/2022 at 8:00 AM, gadzukes said:

Coming up with this comic ad for "Cloverine Brand Salve" would have made such an awesome episode for "Madmen".

- Cloverine executives: "Mr Draper, how can we make our Salve..... EXCITING???"

- Don Draper: Takes a drag off his cigarette, stares into the distance, and then.... snaps his finger and says... "I've got it! An all-american 10 year old boy with a machine gun at the Zoo, and an escaped man-eating Gorilla!!!"

- Cloverine executives: "What does that have to do with our Salve?"

- Don Draper: "We're not selling Salve... we're selling testosterone & masculinity!"

- Cloverine executives: "Isn't a machine gun a bit much, I mean..... it's a 10 year old boy!"

- Don Draper: "Ok.... .22 calibre rifle.  And let's add a girl with a bow & arrow.  That'll bring in the female demographic."

(worship)

Alright I feel kinda bad for this one, because it's Jim Lawson, a classic name for any TMNT fan. But let's be honest, his art isn't great, mainly his humans. Let's take a look. RCO033_1469329765.thumb.jpg.a243d40a71050d4c7d99d769370659ac.jpg

Panel one: the woman (Shadow) has breasts bigger than her chest, the face of a Muppet gone wrong, it's just bad. The guy, her boyfriend, looks like he's just wearing undies, but no, those are full pants. This is also the closest her eyes come to meeting, possibly ever. 

I know they were low budget indie, but they had better talent lined up wanting to work for them. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic
I had the wrong artist in mind. Sorry, Steve!

On 3/2/2022 at 5:58 PM, gadzukes said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around seeing 100 ten year olds running around the Zoo with their .22s and Bows and arrows.

Imagine the chaos.

Yeah, that's what I thought about too, especially seeing that last kid going off panel encouraging others to sell the stuff.  The end result implies cities full of kids running around with guns, bows and arrows, but of course the reality would have been this company using kids to push gobs of their salve on unsuspecting relatives and neighbors.  You'd probably have to sell gallons to even get a sniff of a bowstring.

Incidentally, a quick Google search shows this stuff has been around since 1860, is still being made and is described as a "white petrolatum salve" to prevent and temporarily protect chapped, chafed, burned or irritated skin anywhere on your body.  (Insert jokes here).

And now that I've done a Google search, I must prepare for the inevitable barrage of advertisements on body salve that I'll be receiving.  Just another bullet to take for the CGC Boards.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

And now that I've done a Google search, I must prepare for the inevitable barrage of advertisements on body salve that I'll be receiving.  Just another bullet to take for the CGC Boards.

:roflmao:

You took one for the team.

Your wife is going to see those pop up ads and think wtf?

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Yeah, that's what I thought about too, especially seeing that last kid going off panel encouraging others to sell the stuff.  The end result implies cities full of kids running around with guns, bows and arrows, but of course the reality would have been this company using kids to push gobs of their salve on unsuspecting relatives and neighbors.  You'd probably have to sell gallons to even get a sniff of a bowstring.

They're encouraging the carnage so they can swoop in with their salve to help with the injuries that will ensue.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:01 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Panel one: the woman (Shadow) has breasts bigger than her chest, the face of a Muppet gone wrong, it's just bad. The guy, her boyfriend, looks like he's just wearing undies, but no, those are full pants. This is also the closest her eyes come to meeting, possibly ever. 

I know they were low budget indie, but they had better talent lined up wanting to work for them. 

One of the first lessons when studying how to draw a human head is that the eyes are aligned half way down the oval of the human head.

Her eyes look like they're about 1/4 of the way down the oval (which means she has almost no brains I guess).

I still kind of like the art though.(shrug)

On 3/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, Shazbot said:

That time Dominic Fortune got clocked with an umbrella by Turner D. Century, then flew away with him on a bicycle-built-for-two

BE969EAD-FF99-4CE9-B5DB-6A3C5E507F18.jpeg

Who knew Dominic Fortune was Jewish? Mazel Tov!  Don't be a schmeckel, Dom!

On 3/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, gadzukes said:

"Turner D Century" :facepalm:

Guaranteed to make any story he appears in look completely mental.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Guaranteed to make any story he appears in look completely mental.

marvel was jumpin lotta sharks at the time.