• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coollines scam! Selling Mark Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man 36 Cover Recreation as the Original
1 1

45 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8388689

Luckily before the archive got wiped...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/comicart-l/conversations/messages/255480

255480 Frank Miller and Joe Rubenstein - Captain America Annual #5 Cover /Correction

• Jjr6658@aol.com
    Feb 4, 2007

Frank Miller and Joe Rubenstein - Captain America Annual #5 Cover Original
    Art (Marvel, 1981). ...
    This cover was inked by me ,but was NOT penciled by Frank Miller.The actual
    penciler ,Ed Hannigan has confirmed to me that he was the penciler.
    The previous(?) owner Steve Donelly was informed of this by me when it was
    offered on Ebay a few months ago.

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

How confident are we in Rubinstein's memory? (:

I'd trust Stevie Wonder's description of what a sunrise looks like over the Bros description of just about anything. 

Someone should point this thread out to Bagley so he can put some notation in ink within the art on his re-creations/sketches. 

It should be noted (or just a reminder) that the original cover for USM issue 35 was inked over and does not exist as a pencil only cover anymore.  If there ever is a pencil only version for that issue, it's not the real cover.

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

And I don't care how much and how nice the art they own is.

Making you even rarer than Dave Stevens cover art...there's me and maybe five others that I can for sure count on to never do business with them -on principle. Most others..."just gimme the art". One of our most famous (if not infamous) dealer friends recently bragged on this board about a swell trade done with DaDees and such actions do not enhance that counterparty's reputation in my eyes.

That's okay though; to each their own. I happen to value integrity.

58 minutes ago, vodou said:

Love it. But seeing what you're asking for Allred X-Statix covers...um, no, too scared to try :)

Well, yeah, anyone who thinks $2K to $2.2K for an X-Statix cover is too much should probably stay away. :eyeroll:  

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Speaking of which, somebody should make me an offer on mine!  

Love that cover always have. I'm playing the lottery for the HA auction and if I win there should be some left over for Gene's Distinguished Collector collection.

The Donnelly's have always done shady stuff but passing off a recreation cover as the original is by far the worst.

I once owned a cover (and some interior pages) for an unpublished Punisher 2099 "fill-in" story by Duke Mighten & Scott Koblish.  The artist confirmed that the art was for an issue that never saw print. The cover had no title dress (corner art, title logo, etc) when I sold it via comiclink but after the Donnelly's acquired it was listed as an alternate "1st version" #1 cover: 

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=296209

Not to be pedantic, but no. While I agree if someone bought a piece and was misled, that really sucks, but IMO their passing off a non cover as a cover is not the worst. Because to my estimation, it does not damage the actual OA cover that was the cover.

To me, the worst thing is when they sell actual printed original art with permanent irreversible changes that have been made to it.

IMO, that is the worst. Because now that piece will never be the same for anyone.

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Not to be pedantic, but no. While I agree if someone bought a piece and was misled, that really sucks, but IMO their passing off a non cover as a cover is not the worst. Because to my estimation, it does not damage the actual OA cover that was the cover.

To me, the worst thing is when they sell actual printed original art with permanent irreversible changes that have been made to it.

IMO, that is the worst. Because now that piece will never be the same for anyone.

Like one of their favorite practices - gluing them thar fakes logos own, as if adhered by the original production dept? Shim-sham-scam and destructive too. Surely these are not dealers but collectors that deal to enhance their own collections...mmm-hmmm ;)

On 11/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, MIL0S said:

The Donnelly's have always done shady stuff but passing off a recreation cover as the original is by far the worst.

I once owned a cover (and some interior pages) for an unpublished Punisher 2099 "fill-in" story by Duke Mighten & Scott Koblish.  The artist confirmed that the art was for an issue that never saw print. The cover had no title dress (corner art, title logo, etc) when I sold it via comiclink but after the Donnelly's acquired it was listed as an alternate "1st version" #1 cover: 

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=296209

Sickening 

16 hours ago, vodou said:

Like one of their favorite practices - gluing them thar fakes logos own, as if adhered by the original production dept? Shim-sham-scam and destructive too. Surely these are not dealers but collectors that deal to enhance their own collections...mmm-hmmm ;)

Flim Flam

Glue Sticks

fake logo dirty tricks not the published? Maybe .....

no other

how much does it cost?

hang on, I’ll ask my brother.....