• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,054 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2021 at 2:08 AM, Oddball said:

Yup, seems more fitting for a Disney ride or attraction. But I’ve enjoyed the last two movies. 

Same here!

Both brought a level of action and comedy that feels very fitting to the characters Marvel Studios has created for the Ant-Man portion of the MCU.

The plots of MCU movies might be formulaic, cookie cutter, cut and paste, or whatever term is getting used in the latest tweet from said filmmaker or actor, but the plots aren't why the MCU is king of the mountain. While story quality varies from movie to movie, the secret of the MCU's success is great casting and memorable CHARACTERS. The MCU is character driven, not plot driven. Marvel has done a great job of picking the right actors for its movies, then picking the right creative team to create memorable characters for its universe. The plot of the first Iron Man movie is kind of forgettable, but RDJ as Tony Stark is unforgettable. That's what makes the ensemble Avengers movies so fun, seeing all these memorable fun characters interact in one movie together.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Marvel should've followed their character-driven policy when casting and writing for Captain Marvel.

Brie Larson was and is great casting for Carol Danvers. 

When RDJ was cast as Tony Stark, there was a kind of kismet to it. Here was a guy who not only kinda resembled Stark, but also had his own battle with personal demons that the comic book character dealt with. Brie Larson could similarly relate to her comic book counterpart. Carol Danvers was created by Roy Thomas in 1969 as a kind of pre-feminist supporting character, a woman in a man's world. As Ms. Marvel, she became not only Marvel's answer to TV's Wonder Woman, but also to the feminist movement of the late 70's. Ms. Larson herself is an outspoken feminist and an early leader of the #MeToo movement. In an Avengers comics storyline, Danvers was infamously kidnapped, raped, and impregnated by a distant interdimensional variant of Kang. Larson won a Best Actress Oscar for playing a woman who is kidnapped, raped, and impregnated by her abductor.

Brie Larson brought charm, funny, spunk, and a kind of improvisational naturalism to the role of Carol Danvers. I'm not sure another actor like the glum yet fan-favorite Emily Blunt would have brought that same spirit and charm. While Ms. Blunt nails intensity and grit in Edge of Tomorrow, she was bland boring and stiff in Mary Poppins 2. You can say Larson was bland and boring in CM all day, but she wasn't. The filmmakers for sure had a low-key subtle approach to the way they told their story (as opposed to over the top storytelling), and Larson played her role to fit that approach perfectly. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/27/2021 at 11:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

When RDJ was cast as Tony Stark, there was a kind of kismet to it. Here was a guy who not only kinda resembled Stark, but also had his own battle with personal demons that the comic book character dealt with. Brie Larson could similarly relate to her comic book counterpart. Carol Danvers was created by Roy Thomas in 1969 as a kind of pre-feminist supporting character, a woman in a man's world. As Ms. Marvel, she became not only Marvel's answer to TV's Wonder Woman, but also to the feminist movement of the late 70's. Ms. Larson herself is an outspoken feminist and an early leader of the #MeToo movement. In an Avengers comics storyline, Danvers was infamously kidnapped, raped, and impregnated by a distant interdimensional variant of Kang. Larson won a Best Actress Oscar for playing a woman who is kidnapped, raped, and impregnated by her abductor.

Brie Larson brought charm, funny, spunk, and a kind of improvisational naturalism to the role of Carol Danvers. I'm not sure another actor like the glum yet fan-favorite Emily Blunt would have brought that same spirit and charm. While Ms. Blunt nails intensity and grit in Edge of Tomorrow, she was bland boring and stiff in Mary Poppins 2. You can say Larson was bland and boring in CM all day, but she wasn't. The filmmakers for sure had a low-key subtle approach to the way they told their story (as opposed to over the top storytelling), and Larson played her role to fit that approach perfectly. 

The MCU was definitely built on RDJ's back. He was very popular with moviegoers for decades, and even more so after his very public fall and subsequent redemption. He was also respected highly by other actors, so getting RDJ gave the MCU instant credibility with both moviegoers and the acting community. They get RDJ, then they get Gwyneth, Jeff Bridges and Scarlett, and from there they get pretty much whoever they want . . . except Emily Blunt, but that's a good thing in my opinion. I can't imagine her as anything but terrible as Black Widow or Agent Carter. Samuel L. Jackson was a big plus too, but he needed no convincing - he grew up reading the comics and wanted to be Nick Fury on that alone.

I knew little of Captain Marvel or Brie Larson until she was cast in the role, and was quite surprised at all the backlash. I don't put much stock in that type of thing, though. Gwyneth Paltrow has said many stupid things publicly over the years, and so have many others. I found the film to be typical Marvel fare - very enjoyable, not their best, far from their worst, and I thought Brie Larson's performance was quite good. I do have issues with Marvel themselves over this film, but not with the actual film. Marvel had the most bankable actress on the planet in a bunch of films, playing an excellent character with a very compelling backstory which had only been hinted at, and instead of telling that story they brought in a new character for their first female-led film. They then shoe-horned the film in right before Endgame to ensure it would be a huge success. I really enjoyed the Black Widow film when it finally arrived, even if I think it would have fit better as a sequel to the type of film I had hoped for (her acquisition by the Red Room, highlights of the training, graduation, an early mission or two, and then her defection). Florence Pugh was tremendous in Black Widow, and I look forward to seeing her in more MCU films going forward.

Edited by mtracy64
punctuation

On 12/6/2021 at 5:10 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is this legit?  Or did somebody photoshop this and made me excited for nothing?

***Comic accurate Kang:banana:

FEzvKI4WUAk4mSk.webp.1a63f7f373b60e8eec31baf578ebd2b6.webp

It’s legit.  Photos of people wearing that shirt seem to be widely accepted as real.   Between this and the announcement that

Spoiler

M.O.D.O.K

will also be part of the film, I’m getting more and more excited for this film.

I believe Kang’s involvement will finally explain how and why Paul Rudd appears to never age. 

Edited by fmaz

On 10/28/2021 at 1:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, just NO. I know the character is fictional, but you can't compare rape to an actor's portrayal of it. They're nothing alike. One is pretending, and it's frankly a disgusting comparison. 

Moving on, I'm not too excited about this film. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second didn't do much for me. I don't think I could stand a third with the same formula. I'd say that hopefully they'll change things up, but that's not really one of the strengths of the MCU, is it. Ah well, it is what it is. 

It's still early, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

On 12/6/2021 at 5:54 PM, Wolverinex said:

Kang better be in more than just antman

Did you watch the Loki show?

Without question, he will.

Edit: The fact that I had to ask if you watched a TV show to understand the direction of the movies is exactly why I don't like the direction that the MCU is headed.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus