• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should there be a limit to cover recreations.

6 posts in this topic

i see a more and more collectors are getting cover recreations. and i was just wondering would this in the long run be a good thing or bad thing for the market.

what.s happens when there are 2 or 4 copy.s of a cover floating around. will these hurt the sale of the original cover. or should the artist put a limit on the number of cover recreation he do,

and how big of a price wise should there be between the original cover and the copy. i my self am not a big fan of recreations. but i guess i can live with them. if that what floats your boat. what i totally think is bullsh-- is people who sell stats or production copy.s of original art on ebay. but that another story.

larry.

They could, in fact, INCREASE the desirability of the original covers.

I know that Mike Zeck, however, is getting tired of redrawing his famous Wolv/Cap cover. Before he retires it, I'd like to commission a recreastion of it with Wolv taking the slash downward at a sword-weiding Conan in place of Cap.

Yeah, Mike Zeck has posted on his web site that he will not do a particular cover more than 3 times, which to me is great.

I personally don't think the recreations will affect the value of the original, but I think it's a good alternative for people who cannot affored the thousands and thousands that the originals fetch. The original will always be the original.

Personally, I am not into recreations. When I contacted Bob Layton, I told him to create a brand new cover for me, rather than have him recreate one of his famous covers.

Personally, when I get commissions/cover recreations, I get them for my own personal enjoyment, and never for the purpose of investing on those pages...

i can certain dig a new take of a recreation of an older cover. and i understand not having stupid money to pay for originals. being on a budget my self. but i rather have the artist do an original of my favorite cover. but tweek the image. so it truly is an original and more of an one of a kind piece. than an copy.

that,s just the way i see it. i always will take an original over an copy. i can live with a certain page or cover thats out of my reach price range or locked away in somebody,.s collection. because. there are other pages and covers out there that will more than enough keep this guy happy.

larry

hey dogg!

I totally agree with you about recreations. I will not knock down people who want straight recreations, but I personally don't like them.

I think artists are creators, and they like to create new stuff. They like ideas, they like creating something new, even if it's based on something pre-existing. To me, that also means they're going to be more motivated, and they're going to create a better piece if they can do new stuff. Heck, many times artists wanted to draw a cover in a particular way, and they were not able to for editorial reasons. If you ask them to craw it the way they would have liked it to come out the first time, they will be more than happy to. Ask them to switch characters around. Ask them to change one Iron Man armor for another...

Like you said, that will really make the work a one of a kind piece and something much more meaningful than just a straight recreation smile.gif

alberto. i could have not said better. you hit the nail on the head. all artist love a challenge and to be motivated. how many wonder woman or storm or cat woman drawings have adam hughes done. i bet the guy can draw wonder woman in his sleep . if i was to ever get a drawing from adam. it would be a conan. or woverine something you never see from the guy. i bet that would get his juices going. than doing a tired wonder woman drawing. and you really would get something special. that for sure. larry