• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
3 3

227 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2021 at 8:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

How could I forget this one? :facepalm:

How about these?

12. Evil Dead II

13. X-Men 2

14. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

20. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

27. Spider-Man 2

30. X-Men: Days Of Future Past

31. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

35. Return Of The Jedi

48. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

52. Blade II

On 9/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

How about these?

13. X-Men 2

27. Spider-Man 2

52. Blade II

I 100% agree with these.

If we're counting beyond the 2nd entry of a series (ROTJ), then Infinity War is one of the strongest reference points.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I 100% agree with these.

If we're counting beyond the 2nd entry of a series (ROTJ), then Infinity War is one of the strongest reference points.

I could get behind that.

Although for me what kicked off the MCU massive success was Marvels' Avengers (2012). I saw that three times at the theater. A rarity for me, next to Gladiator.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

EMPIRE: The Greatest Movie Sequels

1. Aliens
  2. The Godfather Part II
  3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  4. Mad Max: Fury Road
  5. Toy Story 2
  6. The Dark Knight
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. The Bourne Supremacy
  9. Before Sunset
  10. The Raid 2

I don’t think Fury Road is a sequel. More of a reimagining. 

Also, is there a single better fight scene than the finale of Raid 2? It may not be the best choreographed martial arts fight ever but its the most intense one I’ve ever seen.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

How about these?

12. Evil Dead II

13. X-Men 2

14. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

27. Spider-Man 2

31. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

35. Return Of The Jedi

48. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

52. Blade II

The Last Crusade and Jedi are not direct sequels though. And in no way does The Last Crusade trump Raiders anyway. And Jedi doesn’t come close to Empire. 

On 9/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

EMPIRE: The Greatest Movie Sequels

1. Aliens
  2. The Godfather Part II
  3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  4. Mad Max: Fury Road
  5. Toy Story 2
  6. The Dark Knight
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. The Bourne Supremacy
  9. Before Sunset
  10. The Raid 2

They missed quite a few.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, Oddball said:

I don’t think Fury Road is a sequel. More of a reimagining. 

Also, is there a single better fight scene than the finale of Raid 2? It may not be the best choreographed martial arts fight ever but its the most intense one I’ve ever seen.

It actually isn't, though. Although I assumed the same after first seeing the movie.

Is Fury Road A Sequel Or Reboot? Mad Max Continuity Explained

The Mad Max franchise has always upheld a very loose continuity, with few recurring elements aside from the title character, the Wasteland setting, and rebellion-themed narratives. In an interview with Den of Geek, Miller offered his views on the continuity debate:

“They’re not really connected in any very strict way. They’re another episode in a saga of a character who is pretty archetypal: the wanderer in the wasteland, basically searching for meaning. This is someone we see in the classic westerns, in samurai stories. You can’t really put a chronology [of the Mad Max films] together. They were never conceived that way. After I made the first one I had no intention to make a second, the second was ultimately an attempt to do the things I couldn’t in the first one and so on. They were all standalone films in many, many ways.”

So from George Miller's take, they are kind of connected. Kind of not. Which means he can do whatever he likes to continue the story.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

It actually isn't, though. Although I assumed the same after first seeing the movie.

Is Fury Road A Sequel Or Reboot? Mad Max Continuity Explained

So from George Miller's take, they are kind of connected. Kind of not. Which means he can do whatever he likes to continue the story.

I like to think of them as Miller does. He says they are all standalone films. Works for me. No sequels. The Gibson ones are dear to me and now Hardy is cementing his place in the line.

as someone who stood next to him in line at vons two years ago, and who walked out of the store in time to see him get into his 25 year old beat up SUV, i can attest to the fact that he must need money to buy a new car. of course this was just before the film came out. so maybe not. true story.

When asked by GQ if the actor enjoys playing villains, Spider-Man: No Way Home star Willem Dafoe responded by saying, "I don't know what that is" before teasing his own pitch for the DCU, saying,

“I don’t know what that is. I’ll play dumb. You play characters. I could say, ‘Oh yeah, it's fun to play villains ’cause you can do things that you can't do in life, or it's fun to play with your dark side’. But I don't know. I'm not thinking about those things.”

Despite his lengthy career, the actor shows no signs of slowing down or thinking less of comic book roles. According to him, he actually has an idea for a story involving a "Joker imposter" which he believes to be rich with possibilities, particularly "if you had Joaquin Phoenix's Joker:"

“There is something interesting about, like, if there was a Joker imposter. So it would be possible to have not only dueling Jokers but someone that says to be the Joker that isn't the Joker. And that kind of opens up the possibility of an interesting story, particularly if you had Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker, and then you had someone who was either imitating or riffing off what he did. I fantasized about that. But other than that I am not talking to anybody [about it], you're the first one.”

Back in November 2019, The Hollywood Reporter exclusively reported that Joker 2 was officially in the works at Warner Brothers, with Phoenix and Phillips returning. Since then there hasn’t been any updates on the sequel, but we have some good news for you, including when the project will begin shooting.

According to an insider with knowledge on the Joker sequel, Warner Bros. has officially received the first draft of its -script and the film will begin shooting sometime in 2023. Plot details are being kept in a cell at Arkham Asylum.