• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
3 3

227 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 8:31 AM, The Meta said:

Yeah but success is just butts in seats

Enough bored, empty headed people with money in their pocket, a good movie does not make

Oscar winning movies can still be tripe

Oh, I agree. That goes back to the old Disney Accounting statement: "Even Transformers movies can make money!"

Disney_Accting.PNG.7384d7dc2e140e135773dacc96023209.PNG

But then you have the audience reactions to reflect on via Rotten Tomatoes, iMDB and Metacritic. Which all rated it high.

01joker01.PNG.22fedc013884bd32833d73bdf41882a0.PNG

01joker02.PNG.1049d4c7270b459afe1ec29734ead7dc.PNG

01joker03.PNG.9dfb21b21533f134f284a62a0fa7eb36.PNG

So then it may come down to, "Grumble, grumble, grumble - well I didn't care for it!" And that we can't do anything about.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, jsilverjanet said:

it was a great collaboration of director/actor

similar (but not as great) as Taxi Driver

two strong performances that made the story much better/powerful

And for those concerned this throws Margot Robbie by the wayside, this is a standalone Multiverse aspect that has its own thing going on. So you can have the Joker Universe Harley Quinn and the DCEU Harley along with the HBO Max animated Harley. The DC Multiverse in full swing!

On 6/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

And for those concerned this throws Margot Robbie by the wayside, this is a standalone Multiverse aspect that has its own thing going on. So you can have the Joker Universe Harley Quinn and the DCEU Harley along with the HBO Max animated Harley. The DC Multiverse in full swing!

while some will complain (again and again) about the DCU not being like the MCU where everything is changed so it fits nicely together, this allows for things to created outside of that world and stand on its own

i think marvel is now finding itself in trouble the same way the comics did with continuity problems and not being able to make things work

- see eternals

- see moon knight

- see Shang Chi

- see Dr Strange MoM

- see Wandavision

- see Loki

- etc etc etc

they've painted themselves into a corner mainly because much of their universe was built on Stark and Cap who are no longer there

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 6/14/2022 at 10:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I agree. That goes back to the old Disney Accounting statement: "Even Transformers movies can make money!"

Disney_Accting.PNG.7384d7dc2e140e135773dacc96023209.PNG

But then you have the audience reactions to reflect on via Rotten Tomatoes, iMDB and Metacritic. Which all rated it high.

01joker01.PNG.22fedc013884bd32833d73bdf41882a0.PNG

01joker02.PNG.1049d4c7270b459afe1ec29734ead7dc.PNG

01joker03.PNG.9dfb21b21533f134f284a62a0fa7eb36.PNG

So then it may come down to, "Grumble, grumble, grumble - well I didn't care for it!" And that we can't do anything about.

No, its not grumble grumble. I'm not defending my position that I think it sucks. I think it sucks, who cares. I don't think others should agree with me, I think others should express what they think

With that out of the way, how accurate is the aggregation from sites like rotten tomatoes? I know I have never ever gone on that site and given my opinion. 

Willing to bet millions of others haven't either.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:57 PM, The Meta said:

No, its not grumble grumble. I'm not defending my position that I think it sucks. I think it sucks, who cares. I don't think others should agree with me, I think others should express what they think

With that out of the way, how accurate is the aggregation from sites like rotten tomatoes? I know I have never ever gone on that site and given my opinion. 

Willing to bet millions of others haven't either.

Any metric system can experience any form of manipulation. That's a given. That is why I referenced three. :banana:

I left the theater thinking that was a once-and-done film for me. Then later I was given the 4K digital copy. Watched it again, and was still surprised this had come together with all the right players. Including a fancasted Joaquin Phoenix.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bosco685 said:

Any metric system can experience any form of manipulation. That's a given. That is why I referenced three. :banana:

I left the theater thinking that was a once-and-done film for me. Then later I was given the 4K digital copy. Watched it again, and was still surprised this had come together with all the right players. Including a fancasted Joaquin Phoenix.

No denying that a lot of people liked it

I will continue to wonder why

On 6/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, The Meta said:

No denying that a lot of people liked it

I will continue to wonder why

Yet it is even nuttier how hard critics and media sites like CNN, The Guardian and io9 were constantly pushing the message this was a dangerous film to avoid.

It's almost like free advertising when people start to wonder what they are talking about. So they go see it.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yet it is even nuttier how hard critics and media sites like CNN, The Guardian and io9 were constantly pushing the message this was a dangerous film to avoid.

It's almost like free advertising when people start to wonder what they are talking about. So they go see it.

This

The fact nobody has caught on to reverse psychology these days is baffling.

The movie didn't even GRASP the concept of mental illness

On 6/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, The Meta said:

This

The fact nobody has caught on to reverse psychology these days is baffling.

The movie didn't even GRASP the concept of mental illness

A leading professional would disagree with this statement. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion.

Leading Neurocriminologist Considers Joker “a Great Educational Tool”

According to the neurocriminologist, the -script—from Phillips and Scott Silver—authentically traces the way a man could be driven to deeply troubling acts of violence by a combination of genetics, childhood trauma, untreated mental illness, and societal provocation. And though Raine was not sure how to pronounce Joaquin Phoenix’s name, the neurocriminologist was staggered by the nuance and grim grace the Oscar-nominated actor brought to the role—summoning the odd behavior, appearance, and social tics exhibited by those who suffer from certain personality disorders. Predicted the neurocriminologist, “He’s sure to be in the Oscar race.”

On 6/14/2022 at 12:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

A leading professional would disagree with this statement. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion.

Leading Neurocriminologist Considers Joker “a Great Educational Tool”

Yup

Again, just an opinion 

On 6/14/2022 at 4:11 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I believe the spectrum for Mental illness is so wide that both can be true

This is a more agreeable statement

On 6/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

Right? Ignore the experts on psychotic criminals.

(:

Yeah, I'm not ignoring it

That opinion doesn't make the movie good, and only a fool would look at that and go, Gee, I didn't like the movie before, but now I do!

This typical back and forth is rampant (you say its good, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person because I don't like it) elsewhere online 

On 6/14/2022 at 8:02 PM, The Meta said:

I don't think people are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for liking it, why am I am insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not?

Who the farg said you were something other than someone with an opinion?

But if an expert in the field speaks on its relevance, do I look to him or someone just dropping their general opinion? Do you not get the difference,?