• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
3 3

251 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Who the farg said you were something other than someone with an opinion?

But if an expert in the field speaks on its relevance, do I look to him or someone just dropping their general opinion? Do you not get the difference,?

Where have I tried to sway your opinion?

Do you not get the difference?

On 6/14/2022 at 8:13 PM, The Meta said:

Where have I tried to sway your opinion?

Do you not get the difference?

Then why are you still talking about it and pretending you were called something derogatory for your opinion?

On 6/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

Then why are you still talking about it and pretending you were called something derogatory for your opinion?

No, you stop hitting yourself

I look forward to the second movie.  But I'm going to be honest...I wasn't very impressed with the first one.  I liked it.  It just didn't live up to the hype that I was expecting.  Hearing how other people talked about the movie they were making it out to be The Godfather or Jaws.

***So good movie...but I shouldn't have boarded the hype train

On 6/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

And for those concerned this throws Margot Robbie by the wayside, this is a standalone Multiverse aspect that has its own thing going on. So you can have the Joker Universe Harley Quinn and the DCEU Harley along with the HBO Max animated Harley. The DC Multiverse in full swing!

Margot Robbie sucks as Harley Quinn anyways. (shrug)

On 6/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't give 1 expert's opinion the weight that you are, though.

No. But when you and someone else conveys the movie DID NOT properly represent it and an expert in the field notes it did - sorry but I know who I am going to read more of what they have to say about it.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

No. But when you and someone else conveys the movie DID NOT properly represent it and an expert in the field notes it did - sorry but I know who I am going to read more of what they have to say about it.

He's not "the" expert, though. IIRC, I mentioned to you before that I have a family member in criminology who would vehemently disagree with the expert that you've chosen to listen to.

I can't even count the amount of times that "experts" have told me certain movies that made $900 million dollars did not provide the studio any profit. Are the expert's motives in sharing their opinion altruistic, or self-serving? I'm not an expert, but I do know that every expert also makes mistakes.

I'm gonna listen to my expert, and you listen to yours. Just don't expect us to take that 1 expert's word for it.

Now I can't say the word "expert" without it sounding weird.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He's not "the" expert, though. IIRC, I mentioned to you before that I have a family member in criminology who would vehemently disagree with the expert that you've chosen to listen to.

I can't even count the amount of times that "experts" have told me certain movies that made $900 million dollars did not provide the studio any profit. Are the expert's motives in sharing their opinion altruistic, or self-serving? I'm not an expert, but I do know that every expert also makes mistakes.

I'm gonna listen to my expert, and you listen to yours. Just don't expect us to take that 1 expert's word for it.

Now I can't say the word "expert" without it sounding weird.

You and I had this chat before. We even touched on this expert's credentials. Which via publications and professional recognition were extensive.

Taking the stance he doesn't align with your statements so therefore he is not an expert is wildly committed to non-reality. But that's for you to deal with.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Taking the stance he doesn't align with your statements so therefore he is not an expert is wildly committed to non-reality. But that's for you to deal with.

So you just ignored the fact that I'm taking the credibility of a different expert over yours? Come on, dude.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So you just ignored the fact that I'm taking the credibility of a different expert over yours? Come on, dude.

'the' expert as if he is the end-all, be-all is not what I am suggesting. But you implying his expertise in the field is less than acceptable because someone else is aligned with how you see things also isn't helping in discussing the topic. It's more of what is going on out there in the world with people aligning to a given news source or other influencers as 'more credible'.

You have said a few times this movie did not portray psychotic tendencies. Others say it did. What else do you want? 

I haven't given any expert opinion one way or another

Ill say this

The actor was given a task to convey, or interpret, what someone wrote

Its what actors do

The plausibility of the actors interpretation will always be a matter of interpretation. 

The director thought it was good enough to builld a film around it.

A lot of people felt the same way.

I don't. Mr. Phoenix may indeed have base to touch upon dealing with mental illness, I personally thought it was a poor performance. 

The fact an established character was tacked on to this, made it especially farcical. How I "interpet" Joker had absolutely nothing to do with this performance, except cursory. He dressed like a clown, that's about all it had in common. 

Edited by The Meta
Explanation

To be clear, I found the posts from our prior exchange, and I never discredited the expert. I simply mentioned that experts can be wrong, as I have also done here. When it comes to psychology (and criminology), opinions are not absolute. If we could solve the criminal mind, crime could be non-existent. That's currently impossible.

Context always matters. In certain parts of Joker, mental illness is presented in manners that I (and experts) agree are realistic. In others, I (and experts) agree that they're presented very poorly. Overall, Joker is not a piece of media that I would use to study a criminal mind, mostly because it's entirely fiction. If it was based off of a true story, this discussion would be wildly different.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's BS and you know it.

I think you are being disingenuous to the relevance the movie tried to bring to the topic of psychotic influences leading to criminal behavior. Only because you want to be right.

So you are entitled to your opinion. But not misrepresenting how a recognized expert sees the reality conveyed in the film because a family member had opinions. Unless that person is being noted as influential to their profession's standards and practices, is that an expert or a practitioner? There is a difference.