• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA question.

11 posts in this topic

Bob, I think I read it on Scott Eder's site where he said, "If someone was good enough to fake a page he'd make more money just becoming a professional artist."

That being said, you always have to check everything out, especially when spending thousands over the net. I'm more suspicious of fake sellers than I am fake art.

Almost all pages/Covers will have a Industry Approved Authority Stamp on the back. That said, it would be as likely to counterfeit a Rembrandt as a Romita. First you need the actual stock than you have to miraculously draw in the artists hand. BUT,...technically it is even more difficult to counterfeit a Romita because it can always be compared with the published image,...AND THERE IS ZERO CHANCE that anyone can countefeit by hand that perfectly.

Almost all pages/Covers will have a Industry Approved Authority Stamp on the back. That said, it would be as likely to counterfeit a Rembrandt as a Romita. First you need the actual stock than you have to miraculously draw in the artists hand. BUT,...technically it is even more difficult to counterfeit a Romita because it can always be compared with the published image,...AND THERE IS ZERO CHANCE that anyone can countefeit by hand that perfectly.

Uh, hello, lightbox anyone?? foreheadslap.gif I've seen comic art that is much, much, much more detailed and complex than anything Romita ever did perfectly recreated via the magic of lightboxing. Go to my CAF gallery and look at that Greg Land Sojourn recreation that I commissioned from Greg. Look at the detail in the leaves, etc. I wondered how that piece could have been reproduced so perfectly and it hit me later on that it must have been lightboxed.

That's not to say that there are a bunch of fakes out there in the comic art world, but I would think that it is considerably easier to fake B&W line art than an oil painting. Even when the latter looks the same, you can always run X-rays, chromatography, etc. analysis to catch a fake.

Personally, I don't think there's too many fakes out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more.

Personally, when I want to buy more expensive pieces, I try to deal with bigger dealers, and whenever possible, with the official rep for a particular artist, or the artist himself, that way I am a lot more comfortable.

Is it possible to lightbox? Sure it is, but if you also do some research, you can reduce your risks.

You can join a big group like this one and ask some questions, there's a lot of people willing to help, and even some artists that might tell you if it's actually their art or not. The OA community is much bigger than I thought.

Hope this helps!

Uh, hello, lightbox anyone?? foreheadslap.gif I've seen comic art that is much, much, much more detailed and complex than anything Romita ever did perfectly recreated via the magic of lightboxing. Go to my CAF gallery and look at that Greg Land Sojourn recreation that I commissioned from Greg. Look at the detail in the leaves, etc. I wondered how that piece could have been reproduced so perfectly and it hit me later on that it must have been lightboxed.

That's not to say that there are a bunch of fakes out there in the comic art world, but I would think that it is considerably easier to fake B&W line art than an oil painting. Even when the latter looks the same, you can always run X-rays, chromatography, etc. analysis to catch a fake.

Huh, dont you need the original to light-box ? makepoint.gif

well. for sure. there may be a few fakes out there. but like in a later post . if your that good you will make more money turning pro. than doing fakes.

and as for all comic pages to have the industry approval. stamp. in the 50. thru 90.s pretty much yes. but i have pages from image comics with no stamp. dark horse comics no stamp. i even have 11 pages out of an 18 page story from dc comics night force # 11 oct 1997 by matt smith and none of the pages have any of the dc stamp on the back.

i think the approval stamp was mostly for the comic code authority. but marvel and dc comics does not have the stamp on any of the current books. so no need really for the stamp on the back of pages.

so you could very well light box current art if you have the dc or marvel page stock. but you have to be a pretty low person to do that plus you have to be a pro to get the paper stock from dc or marvel.

plus a select few artist scan the finish artwork and e-mail the pages to marvel and keep the originals on hand till the book see print.

larry

Like, duh, isn't a very large proportion of faked fine art created by the owners or dealers who have the original in their possession? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/features/9179/

And why would you need the original to lightbox comic book art? Couldn't you just make enlarged copies of the published version? Like in that scan Rich_Henn posted with him holding an "original" of the ASM #39 cover and holding a butane torch to it. I bet he just blew up the original and made a photocopy of it. That's the beauty about faking pen & ink art - you don't have to worry about getting the colors or tones right - all you need to get is the line-work down.

I'm not saying there are a bunch of fakes out there, but they wouldn't be that difficult to make, particularly for the newer art. For example, I recall that someone on the ComicArt-L list bought a supposed Arthur Adams Vampirella pin-up and only discovered it was a fake when the real owner let him know that the original was in his possession. I've seen recreations of Byrne X-Men covers and panel pages and Jim Lee Batman pages for sale on eBay and displayed on CAF (one of the members has a gallery of his own reproductions, for example) and I couldn't tell that they were not the originals. Anyway, all I'm saying is that there is no way that it is easier to fake a Rembrandt than a Romita. Almost all pen & ink non-tonal line art is going to be much easier to reproduce than a complex oil painting.

No. That's what they made photocopiers for.

Personally I wouldn't give it much thought on published pages. Older pages will have that older look and feel and newer pages aren't worth enough to try and counterfeit (I don't think).

Expensive and older pages tend to have a little bit of history about them so if someone popped up all of a sudden with a piece that's thought to be destroyed, I would think there would be a lot of suspicion surrounding it.

Just a note to someone that posted that you need to be a pro to acquire the Marvel and DC pages. Doesn't Mile-High sell official Marvel pages? There's a link to them from http://www.marvel.com/epic/.

thomas. wow your right, just checked out the link on the marvel pages. shame. anything to make buck for the share holders. huh. ;] well hopefully dc comics will have a lil more class and won,t do the same. larry