• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Ten Most Valuable Comic Magazines
3 3

76 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 10:58 PM, OtherEric said:

I tend to think, for US books, if it goes in a magazine slab it's a magazine, so TMNT and such count.  I'm more torn on UK and other foreign books... the default format was magazine size on things like Captain Britain or Warrior or 2000AD, so I'm partial to an argument that they're not magazines.  Particularly with books that don't even hit 32 pages.  So I'm willing to listen to arguments either way. Even within that category, I'm more willing to include Warrior as a magazine over Captain Britain (first series) or 2000AD, since Warrior had enough US distribution to have US prices.  (Same with the 2nd Captain Britain series.)  My main problem with this is that it's a very arbitrary distinction, even if I can clearly articulate it.

Yeah, it's kind of one of those "I don't know how to define a magazine but I know one when I see it." situations.  I do think you have to separate "comic magazines" (having sequential illustration art) from all other magazines even though that kind of shuts out Famous Monsters.  

You're correct, of course, any of these distinctions eventually leads to an arbitrary decision.

Edited by Randall Dowling

On 1/13/2022 at 10:11 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, it's kind of one of those "I don't know how to define a magazine but I know one when I see it." situations.  I do think you have to separate "comic magazines" (having sequential illustration art) from all other magazines even though that kind of shuts out Famous Monsters.  

You're correct, of course, any of these distinctions eventually leads to an arbitrary decision.

2000 AD should be considered a newspaper :roflmao:

I remember a time when no magazine category even existed on the boards. :preach: We petitioned the mods for a magazine sized comics category and they obliged. Since CGC does now grade non comic mags, they should show up here, just in the appropriate threads. 2c

On 1/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, Jayman said:

I remember a time when no magazine category even existed on the boards. :preach: We petitioned the mods for a magazine sized comics category and they obliged. Since CGC does now grade non comic mags, they should show up here, just in the appropriate threads. 2c

You also remember when the GA Forum was inhabited by 6 old men who somehow checked their crotchetiness at the door ...visiting only sporadically and leaving the same sub-forum at the top for a couple of days at a time. When we come to the CGC Forum, I think we have a collective responsibility to create a learning environment. 2c This type of list is a good place to start.

Personally, I feel that the inclusion of UK mags is important, a breeding ground for massive talents, i.e. Alan Moore, Gibbons, Bisley, and so many more. I know there are those who don't want to hear a geezer wax poetic about the "good ole days", but I remember the heyday of the Warren reign, and I also remember the beginning of the Heavy Metal era.... the avant-garde "art for art's sake" revolution that first saw light in the pages of Metal Hurlant, the legendary French publication that propelled the likes of Corben and Moebius to international notoriety. To exclude them is to provide only one side of the coin. I truly believe a CGC 9.4 of Metal Hurlant would break 1K over and over. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating exclusion of posting all these different publications.  I'm a big fan of foreign books like Metal Hurlant (have the first 10) or Spirou or cool US publications that aren't comics like Famous Monsters, Men's mags, etc.  All of those should be welcome in the magazine section, IMO.

My suggestion is just trying to simplify calculating the Top 10 most valuable magazines which is exceptionally difficult.

And, FWIW, @jimjum12 I completely agree, Metal Hurlant 1 would fetch a big number in high grade. 2c

On 1/14/2022 at 8:05 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating exclusion of posting all these different publications.  I'm a big fan of foreign books like Metal Hurlant (have the first 10) or Spirou or cool US publications that aren't comics like Famous Monsters, Men's mags, etc.  All of those should be welcome in the magazine section, IMO.

My suggestion is just trying to simplify calculating the Top 10 most valuable magazines which is exceptionally difficult.

And, FWIW, @jimjum12 I completely agree, Metal Hurlant 1 would fetch a big number in high grade. 2c

Quoted for absolute truth.  I'm happy to see any magazines discussed here in general; this gatekeeping is purely as regards what fits in a "top 10 comic magazine" list.  Even then, I'm happy to work on multiple lists with multiple definitions.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, Ant-Man said:

Has anyone here ever contacted Overstreet to discuss the creation of a magazine section  within the Guide (similar to the War Report)? Collectively, I’ll bet the experts here on the Boards could educate the comic masses.

I'm an Overstreet advisor, and would be happy to approach them with this suggestion, if there's real interest here.

Reports are generally due in December of each year, for publication the following summer.

I would be happy to play editor and facilitator for anything that gets put together. I was going to say I'm not really a magazine guy, but in reading though the thread, I realized I had 4 of the "top 10" books originally posted, and about 8 boxes of magazines (including Captain Britain and Warrior, which I think should be on the lists!) - so I guess I'm part of the club!

On 1/14/2022 at 11:05 AM, Randall Dowling said:

... Unfortunately, a goal of excellence is rarely achieved by avoiding the difficult. 

As is the case with topics such as "1st Wolverine ?" , comic collectors will bend and twist space and time to satisfy their buck-toothed delusions, which are rarely in synch. Arriving at a consensus about magazine heirarchy will probably never occur in absolutia. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, greggy said:

I remember back in the day when Matt Nelson was still independent that he told me that he didn't both charging me more for pressing my Vampirella 1 cuz he couldn't think of any mags that were worth any money. 

928651310_tenor-1(13).gif.3de78f63565f5ff5c017f3bb330e4faa.gif

On 1/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, greggy said:

I remember back in the day when Matt Nelson was still independent that he told me that he didn't both charging me more for pressing my Vampirella 1 cuz he couldn't think of any mags that were worth any money. 

Hi Greggy.
Bye Greggy.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, kav said:
On 1/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, greggy said:

Hi Greggy.
Bye Greggy.

tX87Snu.gif.8c599fe566e3b9d6e02ed4efa91db17d.gif

On 1/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, greggy said:

That is interesting to know, my how times have change😷👍‼️