• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death and Return of Superman Merch, Cards, Posters and Promos
4 4

101 posts in this topic

I avoided all this as it was obvious Superman wasn't STAYING dead. But I can see it must have been fun trying to collect every last piece of merch and reference to his "death". Did anyone wring their hands and actually worry he was dead forever?

The only thing that caught my eye was the grammar in this piece of memorabilia:

s.png

On 9/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, Randall Ries said:

I avoided all this as it was obvious Superman wasn't STAYING dead. But I can see it must have been fun trying to collect every last piece of merch and reference to his "death". Did anyone wring their hands and actually worry he was dead forever?

The only thing that caught my eye was the grammar in this piece of memorabilia:

s.png

To be fair lol

All of them claimed to be super "man" except perhaps steel, but that was the perception, still lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/7/2021 at 6:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be fair lol

All of them claimed to be super "man" except perhaps steel, but that was the perception, still lol

Haha. "Steel". Little on the nose.

No, I refer you to "Is ANY Of Them The Real Man Of Steel?"

Is it "IS" or is it "ARE"? I think it's "ARE". "Are ANY Of Them The Real Man Of Steel?" Yes. I think that's the proper grammar.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, Randall Ries said:

Haha. "Steel". Little on the nose.

Is it "IS" or is it "ARE"? I think it's "ARE". "Are ANY Of Them The Real Man Of Steel?" Yes. I think that's the proper grammar.

Lol your right! 

On 9/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, Randall Ries said:

I think this is a special case, and "IS" is the correct word.

Normally, it would be "Are ANY of them"... assuming more than one could be the correct answer.  

Are any of them from Metropolis?  Possibly, one, none, or several.  That would be "Are".

However, in this case, only one of them could possibly be the real man of steel. 

Which one is the real man of steel?  (not: Which ones are the real man of steel?)

So the correct question: "Is any of them the real man of steel?"

And the correct answer: "Not one of them is the real man of steel." 

:foryou:

On 9/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, valiantman said:

Normally, it would be "Are ANY of them"... assuming more than one could be the correct answer.  

Are any of them from Metropolis?  Possibly, one, none, or several.  That would be "Are".

However, in this case, only one of them could possibly be the real man of steel. 

Which one is the real man of steel?  (not: Which ones are the real man of steel?)

Shut up nerd!

***I don't know if you're right but that's a very convincing argument:idea:

On 9/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:
On 9/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, valiantman said:

Shut up nerd!

***I don't know if you're right but that's a very convincing argument:idea:

Looks like it's a common enough question that there's an answer with graphics... https://editorsmanual.com/articles/is-any-or-are-any/

is-any-or-are-any-1-media_600.png.5cacf0f993e4c9bf3df5e3fa08b7f885.png

With the latest batch of comments here I was really hoping to see some new Superman merch I had not seen previously. Now I’m wondering about my grammar and sentence structure. I’m sure they’re both horrible. (:

Edited by Brandon Shepherd
Grammar!

On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 PM, valiantman said:

No. I am afraid not. "Are" is the plural and refers to a plethora of different potential Supermen. "Is" would work if it referred to a particular Superman. "'Is' THIS the real 'Man Of Steel?'" "Any" is a reference to a singular Superman on a Superman by Superman basis and not as a collective.

Inserting something like "Metropolis" is beside the point as it wasn't asserted or even referred to. Adding an outlier word ipso facto is cheating and an attempt at a change of venue or subject. Something social media is famous for. It is closely akin to "I Know You Are But What Am I."

I would refer you back to our basic "Sesame Street" where we are asked to focus on a group of different objects or people "One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other." Here, we are instructed to focus on said group or objects in which one clearly stands out and asked for the identifyer. "Is" is correct. Not "Are", as "Is" refers to a singular and not a collective. We are referred to a collective but are instructed to pick out the object or person that clearly "Is" not the same as the other(s).

We have already been given the "heads up" that there is a different person or object or even in drastic cases, an activity that 3 are performing and one is not. This was considered the Ritalin of 1969. "Johnny" was clearly identified as finger painting while the other 3 children in the activity squares were coloring with crayons like the conformist drones they undoubtedly grew up to be. "Johnny" had the nerve to do something different and was "Outed" for doing so. "Johnny" grew up to be Jackson Pollack". The other 3 children remained anonymous and likely grew up to be shoe store managers or at best, managers at a Verizon store.

By using "One Of These Things "ARE" Not Like The Other." and not "One Of These Things IS Not Like The Other.", we would be instructed to put on our pointy hat and go sit on the stool in the corner of the room, figuratively becoming the different object in the room we were asked to identify. Therefore, learning the words "Shame", "Humiliation", "Pariah" and "Clock Tower Assassin".

Let s refer to the final authority on everything we as a society have lost the ability to grasp and has have had to explain everything back to us as humor disguised as education. The Big Bang Theory:

On 9/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, Randall Ries said:

No. I am afraid not. "Are" is the plural and refers to a plethora of different potential Supermen. "Is" would work if it referred to a particular Superman. "'Is' THIS the real 'Man Of Steel?'" "Any" is a reference to a singular Superman on a Superman by Superman basis and not as a collective.

Inserting something like "Metropolis" is beside the point as it wasn't asserted or even referred to. Adding an outlier word ipso facto is cheating and an attempt at a change of venue or subject. Something social media is famous for. It is closely akin to "I Know You Are But What Am I."

I would refer you back to our basic "Sesame Street" where we are asked to focus on a group of different objects or people "One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other." Here, we are instructed to focus on said group or objects in which one clearly stands out and asked for the identifyer. "Is" is correct. Not "Are", as "Is" refers to a singular and not a collective. We are referred to a collective but are instructed to pick out the object or person that clearly "Is" not the same as the other(s).

We have already been given the "heads up" that there is a different person or object or even in drastic cases, an activity that 3 are performing and one is not. This was considered the Ritalin of 1969. "Johnny" was clearly identified as finger painting while the other 3 children in the activity squares were coloring with crayons like the conformist drones they undoubtedly grew up to be. "Johnny" had the nerve to do something different and was "Outed" for doing so. "Johnny" grew up to be Jackson Pollack". The other 3 children remained anonymous and likely grew up to be shoe store managers or at best, managers at a Verizon store.

By using "One Of These Things "ARE" Not Like The Other." and not "One Of These Things IS Not Like The Other.", we would be instructed to put on our pointy hat and go sit on the stool in the corner of the room, figuratively becoming the different object in the room we were asked to identify. Therefore, learning the words "Shame", "Humiliation", "Pariah" and "Clock Tower Assassin".

Let s refer to the final authority on everything we as a society have lost the ability to grasp and has have had to explain everything back to us as humor disguised as education. The Big Bang Theory:

so even though they thought the "super-men" were actually, "superMAN" back from the dead at the time of the poster, lol that isn't the same as a Metropolis?

in the end it's numbing, but lol appreciate the closure from reading the novel in car trips as a kid :shy: 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

With the latest batch of comments here I was really hoping to see some new Superman merch I had not seen previously. Now I’m wondering about my grammar and sentence structure. I’m sure they’re both horrible. (:

I picked up this sealed collector's pack this weekend:

20210908_105259 - Copy.jpg

Sorry, but I am correct.

By saying "ARE" is correct, you're suggesting that more than one of the Supermen COULD BE the real Superman simultaneously.  No, they can't.  If they could, "ARE" would be correct, because it is plural.

Because only one (or none) of those four could be the real Superman, exclusive of the others, the question is whether any of them IS the real Superman.

Thanks for playing, though. :foryou:

(Are any of the people reading this topic confused?  Yes. Is any of them me?  No.)

Edited by valiantman

On 9/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, Vfactor1 said:
On 9/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, valiantman said:

(Are any of the people reading this topic confused?  Yes. Is any of them me?  No.)

I are one of those.

V.

You am not

Am not am not

Infinity :kidaround:

On 9/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, valiantman said:

Sorry, but I am correct.

By saying "ARE" is correct, you're suggesting that more than one of the Supermen COULD BE the real Superman simultaneously.  No, they can't.  If they could, "ARE" would be correct, because it is plural.

Because only one (or none) of those four could be the real Superman, exclusive of the others, the question is whether any of them IS the real Superman.

Thanks for playing, though. :foryou:

You guys both seem to know your stuff and you each continue to make very strong arguments. However, the more I read the more I am confused, therefore, I have decided to continue to take all grammar advice from one person, and one person ONLY!  This guy…

Spoiler

E89FD764-C79F-4F3C-975F-F74B6B10059C.jpeg.f6d000467d41a8bb64e33bd4469b9754.jpeg

Edited by Iconic1s