• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Men’s Adventure Mags
11 11

1,053 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2023 at 11:17 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Napa

Napa_027.thumb.jpg.58126c0bcf01b22d3ec63e9a26b752d6.jpg

Laoti, the Country Without Buttons...

These magazines are real interesting but near impossible to find in any quantity especially “in the wild”.

I have picked up a small pile over the years here and there mostly online. In close to 50 years hitting garage, estate sales and flea markets, I have yet to make any good score on them. I have found many large scores on comics, pulps, and pbs, but never these. 

On 7/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

These magazines are real interesting but near impossible to find in any quantity especially “in the wild”.

I have picked up a small pile over the years here and there mostly online. In close to 50 years hitting garage, estate sales and flea markets, I have yet to make any good score on them. I have found many large scores on comics, pulps, and pbs, but never these. 

Agreed, and that's really saying something come from you, a consummate box-diver! 

I've been actively pursuing them for about 10 years and they're only getting harder to find, particularly in nice shape.  I have no idea what original print runs were but the real issue is that these were kind of just this side of smut and over the last 50 years, I think most were just trashed rather than face the awkwardness of trying to sell them.

Increasingly, even antique dealers are on to the fact that these are valuable.  (thumbsu

On 7/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed, and that's really saying something come from you, a consummate box-diver! 

I've been actively pursuing them for about 10 years and they're only getting harder to find, particularly in nice shape.  I have no idea what original print runs were but the real issue is that these were kind of just this side of smut and over the last 50 years, I think most were just trashed rather than face the awkwardness of trying to sell them.

Increasingly, even antique dealers are on to the fact that these are valuable.  (thumbsu

In addition to much of the OA, the collector Rich Oberg hoovered up multiple high grade copies of the desirable titles. He consistently outbid the likes of me on the books he wanted.

So he single-handedly took most nice copies out of circulation. (He authored a book some years ago which spotlights his amazing collection, which is well worth seeking out.)

The discovery of large warehouse finds about 20 years ago brought numerous high grade copies to market and spawned a feeding frenzy - I suspect all the more intense because of previous scarcity Rich helped to create. 

@lbcolefan and I didn't know each other back then, but we were both involved in those bidding wars.

That was the first time I saw multiple high grade mags being listed all at once. Man, it was great to take delivery of a hefty box fill of high grade copies for the first time!

Those copies seem to have remained locked away in collections ever since.

A decade later, the high grade NAPA collection had already been plundered before I got my mitts on any. In particular, virtually all the Mans Story and Men Today issues had vanished.

No idea where most of those ended up, though I wouldnt be at all surprised if it turns out Mr Oberg has a lot of them!

What seems to be left are the occasional attic finds we see on Ebay - often low grade copies at high grade prices.

So many great covers one hardly ever sees these days!

I've long since given up the search - so hats off to those like you, RD, who still hunt them down!

If things run in cycles, we're due another high grade find any time now!

On 7/16/2023 at 3:14 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

In addition to much of the OA, the collector Rich Oberg hoovered up multiple high grade copies of the desirable titles. He consistently outbid the likes of me on the books he wanted.

So he single-handedly took most nice copies out of circulation. (He authored a book some years ago which spotlights his amazing collection, which is well worth seeking out.)

The discovery of large warehouse finds about 20 years ago brought numerous high grade copies to market and spawned a feeding frenzy - I suspect all the more intense because of previous scarcity Rich helped to create. 

@lbcolefan and I didn't know each other back then, but we were both involved in those bidding wars.

That was the first time I saw multiple high grade mags being listed all at once. Man, it was great to take delivery of a hefty box fill of high grade copies for the first time!

Those copies seem to have remained locked away in collections ever since.

A decade later, the high grade NAPA collection had already been plundered before I got my mitts on any. In particular, virtually all the Mans Story and Men Today issues had vanished.

No idea where most of those ended up, though I wouldnt be at all surprised if it turns out Mr Oberg has a lot of them!

What seems to be left are the occasional attic finds we see on Ebay - often low grade copies at high grade prices.

So many great covers one hardly ever sees these days!

I've long since given up the search - so hats off to those like you, RD, who still hunt them down!

If things run in cycles, we're due another high grade find any time now!

Hey Flex!  It's been awhile!  :cheers:

Rich seems like a really good guy from my email exchanges with him.  Both he and Bob Deis were responsive and helpful when I was trying to identify and track down a piece of interior OA I have from a 1963 copy of Male magazine.  But yes, they've been on the hunt for this material for many decades.

I remember you posting some of those books you picked up back in the day and they were/are spectacular!

If another high grade collection shows up, there will definitely be some fireworks over certain issues.  I think there are only a half dozen or so that are serious wants of mine that I'm still after.  Broadly speaking, high grade copies of these books are significantly rarer than just about any other comic, magazine or other periodical from the period that I can think of.  And in a few cases, any copy at all is hard to find.  (thumbsu