• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

image.png.fa67bb05380f96aef64a640eeb52503a.png

Why are you confused?

In Australia there is zero advertising for this movie.

None. Nobody I know even knew it was being filmed.

It's actually a pleasant suprise.

Building on the three-parts-steel-to-one-part-corn equation that director Tony Scott so effectively set 36 years earlier, the new film more than merits its existence, mirroring Cruise’s character, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, in pushing the limits of what the machine could do — the machine in this case being cinema, which takes to the skies as no blockbuster has before.

Still, this buckle-up follow-up also demonstrates why we feel the need for movie stars. It goes well beyond Cruise’s rah-rah involvement in what amounts to a glorified U.S. military recruitment commercial (the 1986 film might have been as perfectly calibrated as a Swiss watch, but it wasn’t subtle about its GI Joe agenda). It’s the way we identify with the guy when he’s doing what most of us thought impossible. Turns out we need Maverick now more than ever.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, Beige said:

image.png.fa67bb05380f96aef64a640eeb52503a.png

Why are you confused?

In Australia there is zero advertising for this movie.

None. Nobody I know even knew it was being filmed.

It's actually a pleasant suprise.

:wavingwhiteflag:

On 5/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, aardvark88 said:

Wish to relive your glory days from 35 years ago Top Gun? Always wanted to have a cool call sign like Goose, Iceman, Maverick, Jester? Now u can at this free Maverick call sign site. I was issued call sign 'Inferno'.

Mine is Junkdonkey :frown:

I'll be that guy, but even with these great reviews, I don't see myself going to see this. I always thought that the original Top Gun was overrated, sort of empty fluff with great aerial photography. I cannot stand Tom Cruise, 1) because he's an obnoxious boar who attacked Brooke Shields for needing to take depression medication, and 2) because he  won't grow up. He still thinks he's the 30 year old action hero who should have a leading lady who is young enough to be his daughter. His monumental ego is just too much. Plus he tried to convert Kate Capshaw to his religion, which is why Spielberg will never work with him again. And on and on...

Edited by Larryw7

“Top: Gun Maverick,” meanwhile, is yet another spectacular showcase for the decades-old movie star that is Tom Cruise.

With “Top Gun: Maverick” set to take the summer movie season by storm, Variety takes a look back at 18 sequels and reboots that effectively brought their franchises back to life.

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

It took Tom Cruise 36 years to deliver a sequel to “Top Gun,” but the wait was more than worth it. Variety film critic Peter Debruge calls “Top Gun: Maverick” a “stunning” sequel in his review. Cruise returns as Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, who is tasked with training a new generation of Top Gun pilots. One of Maverick’s students is Bradley “Rooster” Bradshaw (Miles Teller), the son of his late friend Nick “Goose” Bradshaw. Debruge writes: “This buckle-up follow-up also demonstrates why we feel the need for movie stars. It goes well beyond Cruise’s rah-rah involvement in what amounts to a glorified U.S. military recruitment commercial (the 1986 film might have been as perfectly calibrated as a Swiss watch, but it wasn’t subtle about its GI Joe agenda). It’s the way we identify with the guy when he’s doing what most of us thought impossible. Turns out we need Maverick now more than ever.”

3. Batman Begins (2005)

The “Batman” movie franchise became a laughing stock with Joel Schumacher’s infamous 1997 disaster “Batman & Robin,” starring George Clooney in a performance even George Clooney hates and featuring that notorious bat-suit-with-nipples. The only place for the franchise to go after “Batman & Robin” was up. Enter Christopher Nolan, whose 2005 reboot “Batman Begins” brought a visceral level of realism to the superhero genre three years before “The Dark Knight” shattered comic book movie conventions even more. Nolan turns Batman’s origin story into a deep dive into his tortured psyche. The Warner Bros. release grossed $371 million worldwide and launched Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, one of the most revered and financially successful trilogies in film history.

12. Star Trek (2009)

Rebooting the “Star Trek” movie franchise was no easy task, but J.J. Abrams pulled it off in effortless style with his 2009 entry. Much of the film’s success is in the casting. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto did William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy’s legacies proud as the new iterations of Captain Kirk and Spock, while supporting players Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, and the late Anton Yelchin all had crackling chemistry and scene-stealing spirit to keep the film’s energy barreling without ever hitting a sagging beat. Throw in a time-looping story that allowed Nimoy to reprise his Spock and fans got a “Star Trek” movie that felt bracingly new and lovingly tied to the original cast all at once.

On 5/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, Larryw7 said:

I'll be that guy, but even with these great reviews, I don't see myself going to see this. I always thought that the original Top Gun was overrated, sort of empty fluff with great aerial photography. I cannot stand Tom Cruise, 1) because he's an obnoxious boar who attacked Brooke Shields for needing to take depression medication, and 2) because he  won't grow up. He still thinks he's the 30 year old action hero who should have a leading lady who is young enough to be his daughter. His monumental ego is just too much. Plus he tried to convert Kate Capshaw to his religion, which is why Spielberg will never work with him again. And on and on...

lar, you were looking for “boor,” unless hog is what you had in mind.  

i, too, have issues with his personal life, but dayum i would’ve missed some great flicks if i went with a boycott.  

Edited by Straw-Man

Bore

Man English is screwed up

Bore, boring - a person can be a bore or boring related to boredom

Bore, boring - the act of drilling a hole

So yes, Tom Cruise drills a hole in my head every time I see him act

On 5/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, The Meta said:

Bore

Man English is screwed up

Bore, boring - a person can be a bore or boring related to boredom

Bore, boring - the act of drilling a hole

So yes, Tom Cruise drills a hole in my head every time I see him act