• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK starring Tom Cruise (2020)
4 4

465 posts in this topic

I’ve given this movie a lot of praise even though the story is a tired retread. Connelly’s role was a throwaway one. Take away Cruise and what’s left? Just the FX. But this works because of Cruise and nostalgia. Its simple, its basic and just plain fun. Nobody is talking about the original story. They are just saying, “Man it was cool! Jets!”  

That said, I thought it was the most fun I spent in a theater in the past couple years. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

:Rocket:

And sell like hotcakes.

Top Gun is turning into an interesting comparison of a new movie using a more traditional theatrical window, to the excellerated timetables many studios have been using.  It seem to be the approach WB may be adopting.  Is it a one off with this film, or is it proof that the shortened theatrical window ro proprietary streaming is leaving a lot of money on the table.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, drotto said:

And sell like hotcakes.

Top Gun is turning into an interesting comparison of a new movie using a more traditional theatrical window, to the excellerated timetables many studios have been using.  It seem to be the approach WB may be adopting.  Is it a one off with this film, or is it proof that the shortened theatrical window ro proprietary streaming is leaving a lot of money on the table.

Studios sending their movies to streaming almost eliminates the idea that I will see them in theaters. There will be very few exceptions, such as with The Batman, and a few upcoming DC films like Black Adam and Shazam's sequel. Otherwise, patience is a virtue, and I will wait a couple months. I have never left a theater before, but I have turned a few movies off the TV. Easier to manage my time/money.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Studios sending their movies to streaming almost eliminates the idea that I will see them in theaters. There will be very few exceptions, such as with The Batman, and a few upcoming DC films like Black Adam and Shazam's sequel. Otherwise, patience is a virtue, and I will wait a couple months. I have never left a theater before, but I have turned a few movies off the TV. Easier to manage my time/money.

And the studios can try and stop this from happening as much as they want.  They can ask people to pay for a premium to see it now like Disney tried doing.  All it means is that people will pirate the films and watch them the way they want to consume them.  

I place no moral judgement or ethical judgement on this. 

We saw this happen twenty years ago when limewire and Napster changed the way that people consume music.  

You cannot force the toothpaste back into the tube.