• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

duplicate thread
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Just got this email from Metropolis in my spam email folder:

"The QES label communicates to collectors and investors alike that a book has positive qualities that make it superior to similar copies. The QES label is not just a label as it brings with it a series of criteria that detail the positive attributes of the comic. These are the criteria that collectors and investors want and need to know. The criteria focus on decisive areas of a given book such as color strike, spine quality, cover edge quality, and staple placement to name a few."

That's partially what it says but seems to summarize what the service provides. Has anyone else seen this? Looks like they're doing the same thing as CVA (Comics Verification Authority). Is there so much demand for these designations on books that another competitor enters the market? Thoughts?

Edited by bb8

16 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Just got this email from Metropolis in my spam email folder:

"The QES label communicates to collectors and investors alike that a book has positive qualities that make it superior to similar copies. The QES label is not just a label as it brings with it a series of criteria that detail the positive attributes of the comic. These are the criteria that collectors and investors want and need to know. The criteria focus on decisive areas of a given book such as color strike, spine quality, cover edge quality, and staple placement to name a few."

That's partially what it says but seems to summarize what the service provides. Has anyone else seen this? Looks like they're doing the same thing as CVA (Comics Verification Authority). Is there so much demand for these designations on books that another competitor enters the market? Thoughts?

I thought it was a bad idea but a segment of the market is willing to pay extra for the CVA sticker. Rather than start a rival company, some enterprising individual should simply bootleg CVAs stickers.

10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Does anyone here think every CGC 8.5 is the same? Of course some will be superior to others. 

What the market really needs is a service that can accurately predict what a clean and press will do to a book. 

Since there ARE pre-screens for such through a slab I think, sounds like a sticker company WOULD do the trick!

8 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I thought it was a bad idea but a segment of the market is willing to pay extra for the CVA sticker. Rather than start a rival company, some enterprising individual should simply bootleg CVAs stickers.

Or collectors can pull their head outta their :censored:.

(shrug)

It would be nice if the grading companies used a 100 point scale. Right now a book with a 85 score gets a 8.5, as does a book with an 87. How about a book that rates an 89. It doesn't deserve a 9.0 but is certainly worth more than a book that gets an 85, yet both are given an 8.5 label.

I'd have thought Steve's company would have exploited this inefficiency, but now Metro is.

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

Does anyone here think every CGC 8.5 is the same? Of course some will be superior to others. 

What the market really needs is a service that can accurately predict what a clean and press will do to a book. 

+1 The hobby doesn't need that.. The hobby needs CGC's highly valued and typically consistent opinion and you need your eyes to determine how a specific set of flaws, as atypical to each comic as our fingerprints are to us, affects the personal taste of eye appeal! 

CGC should be good enough to grade a book and have 95% of collectors agree with it or at least only be off by a 0.5 grade at worst.

I have seen lots of books I felt were 8.5, and only got 8.0. I am fine with that.

I have seen lots of books I felt were 6.0 and got 6.5. I am fine with that.

I am not too happy seeing a 4.0 book grade 5.5 or a 9.2 books grade 9.8. These errors shouldn't happen more than handful of times a year. It is why grading at cons might result in some higher than normal grades due to time constraints.