• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

Yes, I'll start by saying I know Cerebus 1 is bronze age but I wasn't sure which forum to place this thread.

Members of this elite club own genuine, 1st print copies of

Cerebus 1 (1st Appearance of Cerebus, marks the rise of Independent comics),

Albedo 2  (1st Appearance of Usagi Yojimbo)

TMNT 1 (1st Appearance of the TMNT)

All 3 of these books are major independent keys in their own right.  All are becoming more valuable and rare to pick up. They feature beautiful black covers that display their title character so there is NO ambiguity that these books represent their first appearance (like the Hulk 180 vs 181 debate).    Due to their  respective low print run, I rarely see any of these at conventions much less all 3.  What would be the cheapest price to pick up all 3 books?  Would it be possible to buy all 3 for under 5k?  10k?

I've met two major comic collectors in my area ( over 18k) comics and neither one owns all 3 of these keys. I don't own all 3 yet but it's my dream to own all especially if I hit the lottery!   Are any of our resident comic  aficionados already members?  If so please show them off here! 

@valiantman @RockMyAmadeus @greggy@GoldenAgeAddict@Ryan. @Turtle@SpideyFein

Also, feel free to tag anyone else you may have a shot to a member.  

Edited by Wolverinex

I've bought and sold several copies of Cerebus 1 over the years. I still hunt for it and do find them at shows here and there but never at LCS'. 

I've only ever owned one Albedo 2, a mid grade copy I foolishly sold before the price run-up over the past few years. This book never shows up at shows or shops. 

TMNT first prints are also rarely available at shows or shops. Same with second prints, though third prints are ubiquitous. I still own the only copy I've ever had. 

2601141533281.jpg

I have only owned Albedo 2.  Would like a high grade copy, but the recent auctions are beyond what I am willing to spend to achieve that goal.   $10k for 9.6 and 30k for 9.8 is out of my range for this book. 

Cerebus and TNMT have never really been on my radar

Edited by GoldenAgeAddict
Added more

52 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I would be leery of buying any of these three books raw due to counterfeiting and the high rate of restoration on the black covers. 

So pretty much is worth the premium to buy these slabbed?

It's funny that counterfeit Cerebus 1's are worth a fair amount now too 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So pretty much is worth the premium to buy these slabbed?

It's funny that counterfeit Cerebus 1's are worth a fair amount now too 

It depends. If you have the chance to inspect the comic before purchase, and know the tells for the counterfeits, and have a rudimentary understanding of how to spot color touch, then buying raw is definitely viable. Or you can buy online from a trusted seller. 

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

They feature beautiful black covers that display their title character so there is NO ambiguity that these books represent their first appearance (like the Hulk 180 vs 181 debate).

Tell that to the ad-loving Gobbledygookers.

11 hours ago, Spikenector said:

How about a Cerebus 1 legit real copy and Bone 1 - 1st printing with red logo?

IMG_6992.JPG

Beautiful books, my friend. :golfclap:Alas,  I can not confer Black CAT membership for that photo though without a TMNT or Albedo. 

I LOVE that Cerebus 1, how did you find it?  What grade is it?  How did you confirm it was genuine?

Surely, we have someone in this forum that owns all 3; lots of contenders in this thread so far!  If anyone here may know of someone, please tag them!  Maybe @FlyingDonut 

Looks like there might be some members in this thread? 

Anyone know the OP 1p36DSA  ?  Can't tag him, is he banned?  It's hard to tell if he has a TMNT 1st or 2nd print. 

Edited by Wolverinex

50 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Beautiful books, my friend. :golfclap:Alas,  I can not confer Black CAT membership for that photo though without a TMNT or Albedo. 

I LOVE that Cerebus 1, how did you find it?  What grade is it?  How did you confirm it was genuine?

Surely, we have someone in this forum that owns all 3; lots of contenders in this thread so far!  If anyone here may know of someone, please tag them!  Maybe @FlyingDonut 

Anyone know the OP 1p36DSA  ?  Can't tag him, is he banned?  It's hard to tell if he has a TMNT 1st or 2nd print. 

A few years ago, mycomicshop.com had a copy graded at 3.5 vg for $500 so I immediately went for it, legit copy as I checked with the inside cover not being glossy plus the barbarian shoulders had just dots instead of a solid red bar, truly a find of a lifetime for me since I wanted this book since the early 90's!

51 minutes ago, Spikenector said:

A few years ago, mycomicshop.com had a copy graded at 3.5 vg for $500 so I immediately went for it, legit copy as I checked with the inside cover not being glossy plus the barbarian shoulders had just dots instead of a solid red bar, truly a find of a lifetime for me since I wanted this book since the early 90's!

Holy moly, that's a steal for a genuine copy.  Are you going to get it graded?

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I don't own a TMNT 1 anymore. Used to.